Locking The Tools Panel

jhbren

I'm having a senior moment, or two. The tools panel in PSE has become disconnected from the main workspace. I know how to find and open it, but every time I close the program, it disappears again. I know there's a way to lock it place, so it shows up each time a new document is opened - just can't remember, or find, it. I'm using a Mac, but I think this is PSE issue. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Jo,

Sorry, I don't know how to lock it in place, but I'm interested in knowing how to, so I'll be following this thread. Which version of PSE are you using? I know in PSE 9 and PSE 11 there is a way to reset panels, but I don't know if that's what you need.

In Photoshop you can customize and save your workspace settings. Since I've not worked with PSE, I'm not sure if you have that ability. I looked around a bit on the web, and in older versions there was a place in the preferences where you could check to save the workspace on closing - not sure if it is still there.

Jo whenever I have something like this happen, where I've obviously (but unknowingly) clicked and changed something Jode told me to "reset preferences".

I'm working in PSE6 on a Mac. It's worked for me, I have my fingers crossed for you.

Hold down the Opt + Cmd + Shift keys as you click on the icon to open Elements. When asked if you want to delete the settings file, say yes.

And, from what I remember you can't click on your PSE icon in your dock, you have to go straight to your applications folder and click that PSE icon, otherwise it didn't work.

So -- you must hold down the keys (Command, Option, Shift) while starting up PSE. A dialog box will then appear asking if you wish to delete the preferences/settings file. Say yes and it will reset.

When I followed this everything went back to my "normal". Hope it works for you!

(Also - for Windows you hold down Alt, Ctrl, and Shift keys).

Good luck, Jo! Things like this are so frustrating! :(

Also, you can check to see that Tools is checked under "Window" in the menu bar at the top of your screen.

Marilyn's idea should work though. Thanks for that tip, Marilyn...didn't know that could be done! We learned something again today!

Also, you can check to see that Tools is checked under "Window" in the menu bar at the top of your screen.

Marilyn's idea should work though. Thanks for that tip, Marilyn...didn't know that could be done! We learned something again today!

You're welcome, Laura! I hope it works for Jo - it has for me a few times when my program was acting up! :)

Thank you, Marilyn! It worked - even though I opened PSE from the dock (teachers, especially, should read ALL the directions before proceeding, shouldn't they?) All my preferences were still intact. I had to remember how to float the Effects menu, and it's reloading all the non-PSE styles - at least the little blue circle is spinning.

Thank you, Marilyn! It worked - even though I opened PSE from the dock (teachers, especially, should read ALL the directions before proceeding, shouldn't they?) All my preferences were still intact. I had to remember how to float the Effects menu, and it's reloading all the non-PSE styles - at least the little blue circle is spinning.

Whew, I'm glad Jo, YAY! And, take it from another teacher - the reason I emphasized opening from the Applications folder was because I didn't follow the directions correctly myself the first time so had to do it again. :)

It was really Jody who found this for me the first time I had a strange thing happen... Each time I do it again (or someone else does) I have to go look it up, but it's well worth it. :)

I'm happy it worked for you...

Isn't it frustrating when you can't solve something like thiis. We have access to such a knowlegable group of people on these boards! I saved these instructions as well! Thanks, Ladies.

Glad to hear you are up and running again, Jo.!

Archived