Questions About Upgrading To Elements 13

amateurstamper

I am still using elements 7. While it is still great for most of my needs, I am thinking of upgrading. Should I uninstall elements 7 before installing 13? Will I still be able to access PSD files that I created in 7 on 13? Will I have to reload styles, actions, etc? If I do need to reload, how do I do that? Thanks for any help you can offer.

First off, welcome to Scrap Girls! Congratulations on venturing into the Forum!

You shouldn't have to uninstall PSE7. You just can't have both programs open at the same time. There were a couple of features that went away in later versions (magic extractor and color variations come to mind), so you may want to keep 7 up and running.

The PSD files you created in 7 will work fine in 13.

Unfortunately, you'll have to re-load all your styles, brushes, and actions. You can temporarily load a brush for a session in PSE13, so you don't have to pre-load all of them. You should be able to copy the files from where they are in PSE7 to where they go in PSE13. The Scrap Simple Handbook should help with how to find them and where to put them.

There are lots of great tips and tutorials here on the forum, so if you search for what you're looking for, you should find some help. If not, ask away! Others out there will be wondering the same thing, and they'll all be glad you asked.

Hello, and welcome to Scrap Girls!

Gayle gave you some great advice. I would just like to add that starting with PSE 11, there's no need to install styles and actions the way you did in earlier versions. You will be able to easily load them and not have to rebuild the database. Sooooo much easier and faster than it used to be with earlier versions. With brushes, you can either load them and they will stay in the brush picker temporarily, or if you want them to stay in the brush preset picker, you can install them to the brush preset folder the same way you did in PSE 7. HTH :)

First: If you haven't done so already, download the free trial version of PSE13 from Adobe. You will have 30 days in which to try it out and see if you like it. I use PSE12, tried PSE13 and wasn't happy with it. It caused some problems with my computer and changed some things around that I didn't like. But try it out, you might love it since you are only using PSE7.

Archived