Copic Markers?

CRS

Does anyone color with Copics? I see images colored this way all over you tube and I wanted to hear from "real" people what they thought of them. I know they are expensive, but other than that, are they easy to work with and learn to use? What is a good beginner set to get?

I've been toying with this idea for months now, and would really like to hear your opinions! TIA!

I've always wondered about Copic markers also Carla, so I'll be watching this. I know they are expensive and that graphic artists use them and they're "wonderful" - but I'd like to hear the 'real people' report, too. Supposedly they blend really well without soaking the paper and they are alcohol based so dry fast I think? The ability to blend seems like a big advantage. I found this review on Amazon, (amongst a million others!) but I'd still like to hear from anyone here...

"These markers are worth every penny. They work more like paint than markers. They blend easily, and give pictures a rich, vibrant color. I highly recommend them to anyone who wants to seriously color their artwork. Someone who just wants to color their art and doesn't need something of a very high quality would be better off buying something cheaper, however, as these are professional quality (and price) markers."

Hi Carla,

I tried Copics (what seems like forever ago), and I thought the technique was not real easy to learn. I didn't really put a lot of time into it though. I've seen lots of artwork done with Copics and I think it's all beautiful!

I know there is a lot of info about them on YouTube and there are technique/learning guides available too.

I remember Lori's tutorial, and if I remember correctly she was very knowledgeable about Copics. I think she had given us some info about them in the Hybrid Creative Team Google Group. Maybe you want to try to contact her via email? I haven't heard from her in quite a while, though. HTH :)

LOVE Copic markers.....just takes a bit of practice to get the blending....there are some great UTube videos......VERY expensive tho....Stanpin up has a big set of this type of marker a lot cheaper....3 in @ color for easy blending possibilities.....I have some Copic but have never gotten them all because of the cost.....you could get the Stampin up and then the Copic for the unusual or specialty colors....

Stampin Up Cheaper, but with Copic they can be refilled/.....Craft stores often have sales on them.....I would suggest starting out with a set of Flesh colors if you do that kind of image.....a range of greens and reds/pinks I think I have seen them in sets of 3 also.

OMG I LOVE Copic Markers Carla! I started with Promarkers because they are cheaper but then happened to try using some Copics at a class and then there was no turning back! I am not a paper and pens/paint artist in the slightest, however I still get really chuffed with the results I can produce with Copics because of the amazing blending qualities they have. Personally I would say get yourself on a class at a local craft shop before you buy any - that way you have someone on hand to teach you the basics and you can try it out. Also you will get to see all the different colours so that might help you decide which ones to start with on a limited budget. Also think about what sort of images you'll be colouring and pick appropriate colours - no point getting pinks if you'll only do boy images, no point getting flesh tones if you'll only do flowers etc. Don't about over with you, but if you do a class at a craft shop over here, they'll offer a discount on the day of the class, so you'd be able to buy them slightly cheaper.

Do beware though - collecting different colours becomes addictive!!!!!

Have fun :)

I know my local-ish scrapbook store offers classes and that people who try them and go to the classes adore them! I have personally not allowed myself to try them, b/c that would be another expensive addiction. :giggle_bear:

I'm right there with you, Cheri. Same for other art & scrapping supplies.

I am a big Tim Holtz fan and have the set of his Distress Markers. I find them easy to use. But of late I have not done a lot of paper scrapping because I don't have a room where I can spread out. My scrap supplies are stored in 3 rooms and I work on a small round table.

• Like 1

OMG I LOVE Copic Markers Carla! I started with Promarkers because they are cheaper but then happened to try using some Copics at a class and then there was no turning back! I am not a paper and pens/paint artist in the slightest, however I still get really chuffed with the results I can produce with Copics because of the amazing blending qualities they have. Personally I would say get yourself on a class at a local craft shop before you buy any - that way you have someone on hand to teach you the basics and you can try it out. Also you will get to see all the different colours so that might help you decide which ones to start with on a limited budget. Also think about what sort of images you'll be colouring and pick appropriate colours - no point getting pinks if you'll only do boy images, no point getting flesh tones if you'll only do flowers etc. Don't about over with you, but if you do a class at a craft shop over here, they'll offer a discount on the day of the class, so you'd be able to buy them slightly cheaper.

Do beware though - collecting different colours becomes addictive!!!!!

Have fun :)

Ohhhhh.... Anna - you make these markers sound so intriguing and now I want to try!

Reading about the blending reminded me of my watercolor class where you had to get used to the techniques and how the marker/paints work before you have successful blending.

I understand what you mean Carla. Copics are expensive. I only wish I could have found a place where I could have taken some real life hands on classes. For the time I worked with them, I felt I just wasn't getting the technique on my own. I didn't spend a lot of time on it, maybe if I sat a practiced some more I could eventually get it.. Maybe one of these days I'll find make some time to try again? As I mentioned before, I really love the results I've seen from what others have done with them. I think Anna gave you some good ideas about colors to try out.

Just a thought... Perhaps it would be a good idea to just purchase a few basic colors, and possibly purchase one of the beginner's guides and play around? Then later if you decide you don't want to stick with them, maybe you could sell them on Ebay or something.

That's a great idea, Marilyn! I just looked and we have a Dick Blick store in Baltimore. There is a local scrapbooking store I could probably try, too.

Oh, cool! The art stores most likely won't have sales (or the 40% coupons!) but occasionally their prices have been better than the craft stores and I did see the markers on sale once. Plus, their employees are very knowledgeable since the markers are used professionally. Every once in a while our Jerry's store has an event too - where you can try the products.

Good luck, Carla. :)

I've been thinking about Copic Markers for a long, long time now too. I had a few and somehow one of the kids got ahold of them and so I no longer have them.....they are expensive, another addiction, and I think I think that with the Copic's I will be an instant artist......which I know is so not true!

I had just a few primary colors and I was doing some Zentangle with them before they were "lost" and it was so much fun. And I don't think I have ever seen them on sale anywhere. We have a Michael's here but I haven't seen anything that lets one just "try them out".

If I get them again, they will have to be hidden and locked away so the kids don't think they are "just markers" and up for fair game!