Buying New Laptop Soon, Need Help Deciding What Is Needed

nanaclaire47

I know when I did digital scrapbooking before, I was told I needed to have a good hard drive (mine is 500gb) for my PSElements ...now I have PSE-11. I have noticed some new computers only have a 32GB eMMC flash memory and apparently there is no hard drive. I think there is cloud. However, my understanding was that I needed a big hard drive to operate PSE. Anyone know anything about that? I need to buy a new computer and the ones w/o a regular hard drive are much less expensive, just not sure if it is feasible to use that with PSE.

Any help you can give is appreciated. I'm hoping to be able to get a new computer by next month. In the meantime, I am unable to do any digital layouts until then.

I'd first decide a budget; once you know your spending limit, you can narrow down options.

It's possible to find laptops even in the inexpensive category with more storage than 32GB. With only 32GB, you'll find yourself needing to use external storage or cloud to accommodate digital scrapbook files. Get as large as a hard drive as you can afford within your budget.

Yeah computers that have flash memory and the like are moreso meant to be used for web-browing, checking emails, etc. They are basically alternatives to people who don't want a tablet, but don't function much differently.

If you plan on any adobe products, you definitely need to spring with something that has a good hard drive and a reasonable amount of ram. Personally I wouldn't purchase anything new with smaller than 500g and 6gig of ram.

Hope that helps!

Thanks! I already have PSE-11 and don't plan on buying anything different at this time. But my laptop is on its last leg and will need to buy a new computer soon. I can work with a tablet temporarily but won't be able to do any digital layouts until I get my new computer. That's what I was thinking Amanda... that I will need a bigger hard drive for the software ... like I have used in the past. Most new computers only have 4gig of RAM but maybe I can add another 2 in time. Not sure how that is done in a laptop. I prefer a laptop since it is so convenient for me.

I just needed to verify my thoughts on the fact that I really do need at least 500GB hard drive.

I know I am in the UK, so this might not be the same for you.

DH picked me up a new laptop, Luckily for me he asked what I would need before he bought it. He got a really good deal for me. 1.5TB hard drive and 8gb of ram at an excellent price. The deals should be there, but you might have to shop around.

When you buy the best you are rarely disappointed ! so get the best you can afford.

good luck.

I have a laptop, but it's old and heavy. I think I bought it around 2008 or 2009 for my first Scrap Girls Meetup. It's a Toshiba with a 250GB hard drive, 3GB RAM and has a 15.4 widescreen. I don't use it often, as I always use my new desktop. I use my laptop if I travel, which I don't do much anymore. My Dell desktop is a 1TB hard drive with 8GB of RAM and has a 24" monitor and I love it. I would certainly shop around and get the best that your budget will allow. Good luck.

Archived