Just Read "still Alice"

Ande43

Since my 82 year old sister has just been diagnosed with Alzheimers it was really thought provoking....gave me some insight as to what she may be feeling at this time. She is settled in a really special Memory Care Unite and we feel so blessed to have her safe and such kind, caring, care givers watching over her. She is talking a lot about going home...She thinks she is there to get her Diabetes under control which is true but we feel so guilty knowing she will never be going home.

The girls have her home ready for sale and have gone through all her possessions...how sad to see a lifetime just disappear...a lesson perhaps for us all to stop collecting so much "Stuff" We found good homes for 3 of her 4 kitty kids and her daughter is going to take the one who is pretty much blind. He is such a lover and gets along very well with his handicap. God is good, so many prayers answered.

Alzheimers is a horrible disease. My grandmother had dementia and that was hard to watch. While she was in a nursing home, she talked about going home all the time. The guilt was so bad for my grandfather, he moved her home and had health aids and family help with her care. Just know that you are doing what is necessary for her well being. I'll keep your family in my prayers.

It is such a horrible disease that robs all involved of so much. So happy your sister is in a safe and caring place, Carol.

I know what you mean about a lifetime disappearing, it's so sad to go through someone's life and possessions. Holding thoughts for all of you.

Such a horrible thing...my sister in law (70) has it and my brother is doing his best to keep her home but will have to give up that battle at some point. I hope he finds a wonderful caring place like your sister is in. Thinking of you and your sister's family.

• 2 weeks later...

This conversation leads me to get back on my soap box and make a plea to all of you: get those legal papers in order! Be sure you have a notarized will and a medical directive. Should you become disabled for any reason your care takers will be bound by your wishes in these documents. Think you're too young to have a worry? Think again. Life is full of surprises. And some of them are not very nice.

This conversation leads me to get back on my soap box and make a plea to all of you: get those legal papers in order! Be sure you have a notarized will and a medical directive. Should you become disabled for any reason your care takers will be bound by your wishes in these documents. Think you're too young to have a worry? Think again. Life is full of surprises. And some of them are not very nice.

Great advice Ann....my sister had nothing and is a very take charge-in charge kind of gal even at this point and the girls had to go to court and apply for Guardianship over her....thankfully she is far enough advanced that she did not really comprehend what happened or at least it did not stay long enough for her to be upset...

My prayers are with your sister and your whole family. I'm sorry to hear she has Alzheimers, but very glad she is in a caring environment and that her children didn't have much trouble getting the legal right to guardianship.

I've read Still Alice as well. It's heartrending.

Archived