Eh Help

notsosavvy

I am in need of an external hard drive. I don't need one with a lot of bells and whistles. Just a simple one to drag and drop files and some music to and A lot of digital scrapbook items. I do have carbonite as my backup help.Maybe a 1T-2T. would work. I just get confused looking at all the ones for sale. I also don't need the ones with a lot of software added. Does any of this help??

They are pretty easy to find. While some come with the software, you don't need to use it. I just go for the ones with the best price.

I have a few of the WD Elements external drives and I've had no problems with them. I have two 1TB drives and a 2 TB drive. My 2 TB drive has USB 3 compatibility which makes for much faster transfer times, assuming your computer has a USB 3 port.

Thank you so much for the information. Will the portable ones work on a desktop? Do I leave it plugged in? Will it work with windows 7?

They work on both desktops and laptops. Since they get power through the USB port, it will be and extra drain a laptop battery if the laptop isn't plugged in.

I don't leave mine plugged in all the time, but I know some people do.

They are formatted to work with Windows, any recent version (XP and up).

Thought I should mention the reason I don't keep mine plugged in all the time. These little hard drives are great, but you don't want to jar or drop them while they are plugged in. You don't want to drop them when they aren't either, but the consequences are generally worse when they are plugged in and running.

Thought I should mention the reason I don't keep mine plugged in all the time. These little hard drives are great, but you don't want to jar or drop them while they are plugged in. You don't want to drop them when they aren't either, but the consequences are generally worse when they are plugged in and running.

I found that out the hard way. I dropped mine. It was quite funny watching my husband & I holding the thing rigid & the plugs in place to download all the data. Luckily we were able to save it to the PC.

I have WD EHDs.

Gee, thanks for all the info. I won't be moving it around as I only have a desktop. I would think that connecting it and un-connecting would not be good for the little plugin tab, so will probably leave it plugged in. I do appreciate all the input.

Plugging in and unplugging USB ports is rarely how they wear out. The problems generally occur when you have something plugged in (like on the front panel of a desktop) and it gets bumped by something (like a leg). It can loosen the USB port connection, making it unreliable. The same thing can happen with laptop cords if you move them around a lot when they're plugged in.

Thanks April I just ordered an additional EHD..I am freeking out about back up with so much on my laptop and on my other EHD. I also have BackBlaze...I guess I will be safe now.

Archived