Challenge Layout Requirements

April Showers

Challenge Layout Requirements

• Post your digital or paper layouts using mostly Scrap Girls products in one of the Scrap Girls Galleries.

• We do not require the layout to use all Scrap Girls product.  But, we do ask that the majority of items used be from our store.  Please list the Scrap Girls products that you used in your layout in the description area or in the EXIF data of your page.  No links to outside product.

• It is okay to use discontinued products in your layouts.

• For the Monthly Challenge Chase, be sure to post a link to your layout in the current month's Challenge Chase Thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow, what a great way to challenge myself to keep creating. I think I'm in! Just to make sure, the weekly page can be about anything, the monthly #challenge about the subject matter, this month love. Do I understand correctly?

Onward. It's snowing and I love snow, we have about 2' so guess what my monthly will be about :) Maybe even my weekly, different page, but since I'm on the subject...let me know if that's okay.

Hugs to all

L

Yep, I should have read the other post first :) So I'll go find the weekly challenge. I'm fairly new to all this :) That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it:)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm also new to the challenges. The Tuesday newsletter challenge runs all week?Or...until the next Tues.? and the Saturday wildcard just runs the weekend? Are those the deadlines? I'm not trying to win anything, but would want to go by the guidelines. Sometimes I have time for a layout, sometimes not. :)

On 7/20/2016 at 6:39 PM, jenrou said:

I'm also new to the challenges. The Tuesday newsletter challenge runs all week?Or...until the next Tues.? and the Saturday wildcard just runs the weekend? Are those the deadlines? I'm not trying to win anything, but would want to go by the guidelines. Sometimes I have time for a layout, sometimes not. :)

No deadlines. Although the weekly winners are posted on Mondays and picked from the previous week.

I always think that a challenge is good until the next one is posted!

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

As I understand it you are welcome to post layouts using other products and give credit for them, but can not post links to other stores selling Digital Scrapping supplies.   In order to be eligible for contests, however your layout should use mostly ScrapGirl products.

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

@April Showers  I have such a HUGE digi stash and some from many years ago ( stores that no longer exist)  that I have not used and would like to make use of.  If I was to do a challenge page using other products ( not Scrap Girls - I would share  no links and only share the product name in the EXIF) and not add it to the Challenge Chase, would that be permissible?  I would not use other products at the times of special events like the World Tour or Anniversary week etc. 

37 minutes ago, A-M said:

@April Showers  I have such a HUGE digi stash and some from many years ago ( stores that no longer exist)  that I have not used and would like to make use of.  If I was to do a challenge page using other products ( not Scrap Girls - I would share  no links and only share the product name in the EXIF) and not add it to the Challenge Chase, would that be permissible?  I would not use other products at the times of special events like the World Tour or Anniversary week etc. 

You can use any products you'd like for the layouts you post in the gallery. To qualify for prizes, your page needs to have mostly SG products (current or retired). 

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
20 minutes ago, MariJ said:

I've always been told on SG and so resize my layouts to 72 Pixels or DPI or whatever you call it!

When I lower the dpi to 72 the layout is still large ie over 2mb.   Most sites say 600 x 600 max and 250kb 

Hmmm..  I don't really know.  I start my layouts at 12x12 inches.   Then when I reduce a .jpg copy to 72 dpi they are always fine, I've never had a problem.   What size do you start your page?
Are you resizing a .jpg or the actual .psd file?

13 hours ago, MariJ said:

Hmmm..  I don't really know.  I start my layouts at 12x12 inches.   Then when I reduce a .jpg copy to 72 dpi they are always fine, I've never had a problem.   What size do you start your page?
Are you resizing a .jpg or the actual .psd file?

All very different to what I am used to.  I start 3600 x 3600 (12 x 12).  I reduced to 72dpi but it was still too big. maybe I did it on the .tif (I use tif not psd), I will try doing it on the jpg.  So you keep the layout 12 x 12?  Off to give it a go. 

39 minutes ago, JodyT said:

All very different to what I am used to.  I start 3600 x 3600 (12 x 12).  I reduced to 72dpi but it was still too big. maybe I did it on the .tif (I use tif not psd), I will try doing it on the jpg.  So you keep the layout 12 x 12?  Off to give it a go. 

I create a 12x12 layout in psd, then save a jpg version.   Then I resize the jpeg to 72dpi, the size/inches automatically changes along with it.  I'm not sure that's the best or easiest way, but it's how I was told and it works!   I hope I'm not being too confusing!

@JodyT  Hi Jody!

You can have your file be just over 300kb and still able to upload but I still keep mine around the 250. 

You do need to flatten your PSD or save as JPEG before resizing to 72dpi 

5 minutes ago, A-M said:

@JodyT  Hi Jody!

You can have your file be just over 300kb and still able to upload but I still keep mine around the 250. 

You do need to flatten your PSD or save as JPEG before resizing to 72dpi 

Hi Ann-Marie

Yeah did that.  flattened it, made it 72ppi,  but it was still way too big. seems file has to be under 4.88? when I uploaded and it was over that, and I got a message to say it was 4.88mb  max.  All very strange and very hard to work out.  I think when there is another challenge I can do, I will just do it like I have always done for other sites 250 and 600x600.  LOL that or give up.

@JodyT  sorry, I should have also shared that my pages are reduced in size also to 600 x 600.  Not sure how the others do it without that step. 

16 hours ago, JodyT said:

Hi Ann-Marie

Yeah did that.  flattened it, made it 72ppi,  but it was still way too big. seems file has to be under 4.88? when I uploaded and it was over that, and I got a message to say it was 4.88mb  max.  All very strange and very hard to work out.  I think when there is another challenge I can do, I will just do it like I have always done for other sites 250 and 600x600.  LOL that or give up.

The file size limit is 5MB. I chose that file size because it is about twice the size of my typical "saved for web" pages. 

You should be able to see the size your image is in the Image Size window. In the example below, I resized a 2 page layout to 1200x600 pixels at 250ppi, and the file size is 2.06MB, well within the gallery limit. The resolution (pixels per inch) really doesn't matter as long as you are reducing the pixel height to 600 pixels. When I resized it at 72 ppi, the file size was the same.

Screenshot 2022-10-07 11.48.31.png

If your image is more than 5 MB, you can reduce the file size in the jpg options to make sure you are within the file size limit. 

Resizing jpgs.png

We have had a few members whose reduced size images still have extremely large file sizes. This is an Adobe glitch. Should this be happening with some of your layouts, you should be able to fix it by dropping the image into a new layout and resaving it. 

Let me know if you have any more issues uploading. 

4 hours ago, Celestine said:

Don't forget, if you've made a jpg already, you can also just right click on the image in your File Explorer window and adjust the size there as well. 

Interesting information, never tried it that, out of curiosity I will have a look at this.

4 hours ago, April Showers said:

The file size limit is 5MB. I chose that file size because it is about twice the size of my typical "saved for web" pages. 

You should be able to see the size your image is in the Image Size window. In the example below, I resized a 2 page layout to 1200x600 pixels at 250ppi, and the file size is 2.06MB, well within the gallery limit. The resolution (pixels per inch) really doesn't matter as long as you are reducing the pixel height to 600 pixels. When I resized it at 72 ppi, the file size was the same.

Screenshot 2022-10-07 11.48.31.png

If your image is more than 5 MB, you can reduce the file size in the jpg options to make sure you are within the file size limit. 

Resizing jpgs.png

We have had a few members whose reduced size images still have extremely large file sizes. This is an Adobe glitch. Should this be happening with some of your layouts, you should be able to fix it by dropping the image into a new layout and resaving it. 

Let me know if you have any more issues uploading. 

Thanks very much, I will keep on it when I have something else to upload.