Planners, Journals, Datebooks, Bullet Journals-Inquiring minds want to know!!

I started what I considered a form of Bullet Journaling a year ago, using a Recollections Planner from Michael's. I quickly found that the pages weren't large enough. I switched to a $1.00 graph-lined composition book from Walmart. I came up with a layout that works for me, and I add stickers and stuff at will. I also print out SG stuff to help me decorate it and a lot of "stickers" come from free pages on Pinterest.

2017-05-03 maybujosm.jpg

2017-05-03-may.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, CRS said:

I miss the "like" button...I'd definitely "like" your planner Becky!

Thanks Carla!  I think the menu space has helped more than anything!

Also, I used two 12x12 pieces of scrapping paper to cover it. :)

When I buy pretty planners (because I love the look and design of them, and you wouldn't believe how much time I spend browsing in stationery shops) I never get around to using them! I just have huge lecture pad notebooks with handwritten notes on all my products, i.e. how I made them, what I used, the steps etc. For my diary, I use my Mac calendar, which I could not live without. It's cloud-based so syncs across all my devices no matter what I write, or where I write it! I color-code entries for the type of occasion/who it effects/whose coming, etc. That way I know at a glance if it's just for me, my husband, my family, or is an outside appointment, public holiday, etc. I pretty much put everything in it but like to look at a whole month at a glance. I'm generally a tidy-desk person but when I'm working on a project it looks chaotic for a few weeks and then I have a big clean-up! I'm in the middle of a messy phase right now! :)

I have a filofax personal size in duck egg. I got tired of losing my to do lists. I made pretty dividers with my silhouette and have made a few sticker sets too.

My husband uses Post-it Notes and sticks them to the glass on the French doors into the family room. He did find his old Franklin planner while cleaning out. It had a calendar from 1997 in it.

I should go compare my planner to those duck eggs in the nest in the back yard to see how close it is are to the real color.

9 hours ago, MariJ said:

Ok, so enjoying the comedy in this thread.  Oh yeah and the info too.

So, now must ask - what is a Happy planner?    Is it why you all are so happy?   :D and comical???  :rofl:

Happy Planner is a brand, now in 3 sizes.  They are made by Me and My Big Ideas (MAMBI).  They are disc bound.  It's quite a racket - you could spend hundreds of dollars on all the accessories.

Sorry Conda even down here at the bottom of the world, "post it" notes are my go to!!:happy039:

But my planning is sort of the same as Suzie's. Phone planner synced with DH phone and tablets all colour coded with who its for etc..

9 hours ago, MariJ said:

Ok, so enjoying the comedy in this thread.  Oh yeah and the info too.

So, now must ask - what is a Happy planner?    Is it why you all are so happy?   :D and comical???  :rofl:

Love it Marilyn :giggle_bear:

6 hours ago, Smiles said:

Happy Planner is a brand, now in 3 sizes.  They are made by Me and My Big Ideas (MAMBI).  They are disc bound.  It's quite a racket - you could spend hundreds of dollars on all the accessories.

Thank you Gayle.  I had no idea of what I was missing and probably should not look into it!   :D

10 hours ago, Susie Roberts said:

When I buy pretty planners (because I love the look and design of them, and you wouldn't believe how much time I spend browsing in stationery shops) I never get around to using them! I just have huge lecture pad notebooks with handwritten notes on all my products, i.e. how I made them, what I used, the steps etc. For my diary, I use my Mac calendar, which I could not live without. It's cloud-based so syncs across all my devices no matter what I write, or where I write it! I color-code entries for the type of occasion/who it effects/whose coming, etc. That way I know at a glance if it's just for me, my husband, my family, or is an outside appointment, public holiday, etc. I pretty much put everything in it but like to look at a whole month at a glance. I'm generally a tidy-desk person but when I'm working on a project it looks chaotic for a few weeks and then I have a big clean-up! I'm in the middle of a messy phase right now! :)

That sounds alot like me Susie.  I love the journals and such.  Some are so pretty or artistic.  But I just wouldn't use it.  I'm more of a 3 ring binder with notes gal...and anything I need to jot down quick or I need to do I use a sticky note.

I don't even use a calendar on my phone or anything, which wiith the boys schedule I really should.  instead I have a printed one on my desk I look at. 

I use a planner from Day-Timer. It's a weekly planner for the whole year (two pages for one week). If fits in my handbag and I take it with me all the time. I also use a Franklin Covey planner on my desk and it is two pages for one day and fits in a small ring binder. Then there is my wall calendar where I write down all my doctor appointments and my sisters as well, so that we don't overlap on appointments. Since we share the one car, this is an absolute necessity.

Post it notes are not for me as they are too easy for me to lose and get thrown in the garbage.

daytimer.png

20 hours ago, Becster said:

I started what I considered a form of Bullet Journaling a year ago, using a Recollections Planner from Michael's. I quickly found that the pages weren't large enough. I switched to a $1.00 graph-lined composition book from Walmart. I came up with a layout that works for me, and I add stickers and stuff at will. I also print out SG stuff to help me decorate it and a lot of "stickers" come from free pages on Pinterest.

2017-05-03 maybujosm.jpg

2017-05-03-may.jpg

I LOL'd at the chihuahua in the sombrero!  It's fun to peek at other people's planners!  =)

All the planner info here is great!  As for a journal... I used to keep a handwritten journal when I was young (really young, from about 12 years of age onward through college).  After college, when life got busy and more overwhelming, I stopped journaling.  About a year ago, I decided to try again, if for no other reason than to try to marry up the timeline of my life events to my scrapbooking layouts, and be able to look back and have more details to include on an LO when I scrap older photos.  

Because I travel a fair amount for work, and I always take my computer with me, I looked into journaling apps.  I started using this one, Day One, and I really like it; if I want it to, it will automatically mark the time, weather, and geographic location of my journal entry, and I can attach photos to each journal entry.  I can also set up reminders, so it will remind me to write.  I think it's a great tool to use in support of my scrapping addiction... but in reality I haven't been very good at keeping up with it.  Here is an example of what it looks like (forgive my journal entries, nothing too exciting).

Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 11.15.57 AM.png

I forgot to add that I keep our everyday things, and birthdays, in an Excel calendar file that I downloaded for free. I  enter everything and then print out three copies each month - one for right above my computer on the bulletin board, one for Dave's "office" (the bedroom next door), and one for the fridge.

These have been lifesavers when doing my Project Life layouts!

15 minutes ago, Mikelle said:

Because I travel a fair amount for work, and I always take my computer with me, I looked into journaling apps.  I started using this one, Day One, and I really like it; if I want it to, it will automatically mark the time, weather, and geographic location of my journal entry, and I can attach photos to each journal entry.  I can also set up reminders, so it will remind me to write.  I think it's a great tool to use in support of my scrapping addiction... but in reality I haven't been very good at keeping up with it.  Here is an example of what it looks like (forgive my journal entries, nothing too exciting).

This looks great! I may have to check into it for my Tablet or phone.

6 hours ago, Mikelle said:

All the planner info here is great!  As for a journal... I used to keep a handwritten journal when I was young (really young, from about 12 years of age onward through college).  After college, when life got busy and more overwhelming, I stopped journaling.  About a year ago, I decided to try again, if for no other reason than to try to marry up the timeline of my life events to my scrapbooking layouts, and be able to look back and have more details to include on an LO when I scrap older photos.  

Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 11.15.57 AM.png

Interesting.  Thank you for sharing this.  I know that some people keep written (whether paper/online) events i(in lists or journal form) so that that have it for their scrapbook layouts.  Obviously as time goes by (days, weeks, Years, gasp!) details get lost.  I may have to look a this.  Attaching a photo or two is brilliant, and can lead you back to the photo file.  Hmmmmmm.

On 5/3/2017 at 8:09 AM, angleigh said:

Ha!  That's what happened to me yesterday.  I think Conda was so proud of me I got myself a little binder, divided it up into sections and have been using that for all my notes and such.  I even bought colored pens for different things.  But then I texted her yesterday a photo of the inside of it, with sticky notes attached to the pages.  I don't think she was impressed :D

Hahaha! Well when all your post it notes start being connected by thumbtacks and red string.... then I'll be worried ;)

On 5/3/2017 at 9:58 AM, SodScrap said:

How do you keep track of multiple planners?  Do you use ready made pages?  Or create your own?

And in general I like sticky notes and use them.  I even stick them in my planner as needed.  I just don't use them as some do in mass quantities. ;)  I have some very cute ones with happy fruit on them.

Keeping up w/ multiple planners is easy for me b/c it helps me keeps my paths from getting mixed. If my work/home were all in the same thing, I'd loose my mind (and miss a lot of goings on I'm sure). I just make sure in the morning I look at both and write down to-dos for the day in each.

I use some ready made items and I make my own if there's something super specific I want for myself and can't find. Plus I'm anal like that ;)

Oh my - just found this thread!  I DON'T use post it notes, or any other type of planner.  Everything goes on the calendar on my computer, but it is color coded by category.  Quick, easy, cheap, can be set up to repeat at specific intervals.  I've been doing this for 20 years or more.

On 5/10/2017 at 7:31 AM, jhbren said:

Oh my - just found this thread!  I DON'T use post it notes, or any other type of planner.  Everything goes on the calendar on my computer, but it is color coded by category.  Quick, easy, cheap, can be set up to repeat at specific intervals.  I've been doing this for 20 years or more.

I love my google calendar, I really don't know why "everyone doesn't use it"!!  However, I need something to keep track of my never ending daily to-do lists....

Yes - and I put my to-do lists on the calendar, too - color coded for housekeeping tasks, grocery shopping, library book due dates, etc, etc & so forth.  Some of them are repeated at regular intervals, so I don't have to add them each day.  It works for me!

• 1 month later...
On May 3, 2017 at 9:31 PM, alsoarty said:

I don't need a planner.. I'm too unorganized - I just set reminders and appointments etc on my iCalender, iPhone, etc etc...

Me, too. I do jot Dr. Appointments in my online calendar. :P

I use a vertical Erin Condron Life Planner.  I've been using them for almost 3 years but I think this year will be my last.  It's just too heavy and bulky in my handbag. I need to start looking at other brands soon - I'm open to suggestions if somebody has one that they really love :)

4 hours ago, jenrou said:

Post it notes, old envelopes, taped scraps....

Oh yes...anything I can write it will work.

I will say, I have gotten MUCH better over the last few months.  I don't use post it's as much and I have a notebook I've been using to jot down notes and such.  I even  have pens I use to write with that color codes if something is important, a remark to a note, etc

4 hours ago, jenrou said:

Post it notes, old envelopes, taped scraps....

Me too, Jean...  I have lots of little pieces of papers/notes I call my "scribble scraps"

Maybe Post-its aren't such a bad idea, at least they could all unite together?   :D 

• 4 months later...

So What do we old timers do??  I really don't have much to plan...Retired, and do what I want when I want so would have nothing to write in a planner....not much anywhay....I did join a Listers FB group last year and did enjoy that...most of the gals did the paper planner thing but I did Digital and put in 5x7 books....

Really good at.jpg

3 hours ago, Ande43 said:

So What do we old timers do??  I really don't have much to plan...Retired, and do what I want when I want so would have nothing to write in a planner....not much anywhay....I did join a Listers FB group last year and did enjoy that...most of the gals did the paper planner thing but I did Digital and put in 5x7 books....

Really good at.jpg

I’m not retired but don’t do much outside of working. I’ve tried a few planners because I’m good at procrastinating too! ? This is very pretty!

Archived