Selection question

diannecp

I want the white frame with the outer green deleted, but want ti keep the green bit inside (and behind) the frame. Having a mental block - something about marching ants, right? Suggestions appreciated. 

selection1.jpg

If I'm understanding correctly, in PSE I usually use the Magic Wand tool on the selected layer and click on the color/object I want to delete.  That selects everything of that color and is shown by marching ants.   When I hit "delete" it all disappears...

I think I would use the magnetic lasso tool around the exterior of the frame.  Then hit "Control-I" for the inverse of that selection, then hit delete.  What remains should then be the frame and everything within the selection you drew. 

Oh thanks, Amy! That worked perfectly. I just had to do the selection on the frame layer then click the paper layer beneath and delete. I kept getting a "Smart Object not Editable" message before. 

12 hours ago, mimes1 said:

I think I would use the magnetic lasso tool around the exterior of the frame.  Then hit "Control-I" for the inverse of that selection, then hit delete.  What remains should then be the frame and everything within the selection you drew. 

This is great, Amy and much better than what I do!  I actually never know how to use any of those lassos, so I'm glad to learn this, thank you. :)

6 hours ago, mimes1 said:

Oh that makes sense! - When you get the Smart Object message, you can right click on the layer and select "Rasterize layer" and that will make it an editable layer.

In PSE I have to "Simplify" under the layers panel to make it editable. :) 

Archived