Whatcha reading this week?

VSWilliams

I'm plodding through Olive Kitteridge for book club. My pick and I hate it! :o It got such good reviews I bought a hard copy - which I never do! Such a disappointment. Oh well, like I always say (about food), if I'm lucky it won't be the last book! 

On the flip side - also reading Rising Strong by Brene Brown - highly recommend. 

23 hours ago, VSWilliams said:

What kind of stuff does she write? I see her name all the time but know nothing about her.

She usually has a decent crime or FBI investigation going on with a hunky guy involved (of course). It's light reading when you need a break from thinking too much. She is a out-there-kind-of girl, fixes cars, a little wacky at times; her father helps-he is ex mil and funny, but resourceful.

It is not heavy thinking reading, but in between more thoughtful books, I like them.:)

1 hour ago, jenrou said:

She usually has a decent crime or FBI investigation doing on with a hunky guy involved (of course). It's light reading when you need a break from thinking too much. She is a out-there-kind-of girl, fixes cars, a little wacky at times; her father helps-he is ex mil and funny, but resourceful.

It is not heavy thinking reading, but in between more thoughtful books, I like them.:)

I definitely appreciate light reading. Not a snob when it comes to those kind of stories :)

I just started to read 'Three Days In January Dwight Eisenhower's Final Mission' by Bret Baier.

When I finish that I'll go back to reading some of Janet Evanovich's books. They always make me laugh at the craziness Stephanie Plum gets into. Love that Ranger, babe.

I haven't been reading much lately, but I have a long commute and to pass the time in the car I listen to recorded books.  I just finished Stephen King's Hearts in Atlantis, and yesterday started The Widower's Tale by Julia Glass.  So far it's got me pulled in.

For the last two or three weeks I've been reading (actually re-reading - third time, I think) Diana Galbadon's Oultlander series; books two & three are about 1000 pages each, and I have the rest of the series (except for the latest, which doesn't seem to be out yet) to go.  No boredom in sight! 

For those who haven't read Gabaldon's books:  they're somewhere between science fiction, fantasy, and history - time travel in the 1700's.  I love her writing style, and her impressive inclusion of the history of Europe and "the Colonies", as well as the medical knowledge, or lack thereof, at the time.  Amazing research!

8 hours ago, jhbren said:

For the last two or three weeks I've been reading (actually re-reading - third time, I think) Diana Galbadon's Oultlander series; books two & three are about 1000 pages each, and I have the rest of the series (except for the latest, which doesn't seem to be out yet) to go.  No boredom in sight! 

For those who haven't read Gabaldon's books:  they're somewhere between science fiction, fantasy, and history - time travel in the 1700's.  I love her writing style, and her impressive inclusion of the history of Europe and "the Colonies", as well as the medical knowledge, or lack thereof, at the time.  Amazing research!

I started watching the tv series and it was good!

On August 20, 2017 at 11:11 AM, jhbren said:

I agree! I have those books and read them over and over at times.:D

On 8/20/2017 at 11:11 AM, jhbren said:

One of my fav series!!

On 8/27/2017 at 6:55 AM, scrapgran said:

I am reading the second book of the Hunger Games trilogy. I have read them before & seen the movies all bar the last one. They are quite 'dark' & a bit gruesome. Not everyone's cup of tea.

I've read them. It's one of my son's fav series. He's reading something right now he's really into I'll have to find out what it is...

On August 27, 2017 at 6:55 AM, scrapgran said:

I am reading the second book of the Hunger Games trilogy. I have read them before & seen the movies all bar the last one. They are quite 'dark' & a bit gruesome. Not everyone's cup of tea.

I started one of them, but maybe just my mood, it was a little too dark for me. I may try again one of these days. My daughter in law loved them.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the second time this has happened to me in about 4 weeks...I start a book that sounds great, only to get about a chapter in and realize I've read it before. I don't remember all the details, but once someone new is introduced or an event happens, I realize I knew that already. Frustrating!

On 9/14/2017 at 0:06 PM, CRS said:

This is the second time this has happened to me in about 4 weeks...I start a book that sounds great, only to get about a chapter in and realize I've read it before. I don't remember all the details, but once someone new is introduced or an event happens, I realize I knew that already. Frustrating!

I hate that, Carla! Happens more often than I care to admit. Trying to use Goodreads to keep track of my reading but it still manages to happen. 

Don't you hate it when you commit to read a 3 or 4 book series (Montana Navy SEALS need wives....lol) and realize at the end of the fourth book there are MANY more that aren't released yet?  :blink:  Ugh...I hate waiting.  The good thing is, I needed to put the books down but...did I say I hate waiting???  I mean...who is going to get married next?  GAH.

I'm currently reading the latest book by Sue Grafton, Y is for Yesterday. My sister got me started on the series years ago. For the last 4-5 books. I buy the new release when it comes out. I read it and then give it to her for Christmas. This one came out in August which is a bit of earlier than usual so I may not wait fo Christmas so she'll have something to read during her chemo treatments (if she's up to reading) 

I want to suggest to you all The End of Your Life Bookclub, by Will Schwalbe. Sounds morbid, and it is in a way, but you will learn a lot about why we read, what we like to read and how what we read affects us and those in our circles. This is a memoir and one of the bonuses is a listing of good books. It's quite touching, I hope you all give it a try, and let me know what you think.

6 hours ago, AnnBK said:

I want to suggest to you all The End of Your Life Bookclub, by Will Schwalbe. Sounds morbid, and it is in a way, but you will learn a lot about why we read, what we like to read and how what we read affects us and those in our circles. This is a memoir and one of the bonuses is a listing of good books. It's quite touching, I hope you all give it a try, and let me know what you think.

Sounds interesting, thanks Ann.

6 hours ago, AnnBK said:

I just put it on my wishlist and am going to get it from the Library.  I looked up te title and it sounds so interesting and very touching.    Thanks Ann.