Sketch effect

Becster

I have a gray scale (or color, if it would work better, I can convert to B&W later) clip art image of the United Methodist Cross & Flame logo. I'm wanting to make it look like it was sketched in pencil. I saw a couple of actions in the boutique, but I'm using PSE9 and they are for newer versions.

Thanks for any hints you can offer. :-)

12 hours ago, Becster said:

I have a gray scale (or color, if it would work better, I can convert to B&W later) clip art image of the United Methodist Cross & Flame logo. I'm wanting to make it look like it was sketched in pencil. I saw a couple of actions in the boutique, but I'm using PSE9 and they are for newer versions.

Thanks for any hints you can offer. :-)

Hi Becky,  I have a sketch effect technique that Kelly shared and maybe another tutorial, but if you can believe it my laptop is off for a cleanup that was forgotten at its last visit.  It should be back today so as soon as I get it I will look it up and let you know...

Another thought until then is if you have a tablet there are sketch apps that work great.   I have one called Brushstroke that worked great for a painting effect I did in a layout.  I’m sure there are also ones specifically for a pencil sketch effect too.   

Layout with sketch

Have you tried making the logo black and white then, in PSE 9, going to Filter > Artistic > Colored Pencil? It makes it into a pencil sketch that will be black and white. If you prefer a colored sketch, just leave the original in color. (Don't forget to work on a copy, not the original photo, but you know that already. :) )

2 hours ago, MariJ said:

Hi Becky,  I have a sketch effect technique that Kelly shared and maybe another tutorial, but if you can believe it my laptop is off for a cleanup that was forgotten at its last visit.  It should be back today so as soon as I get it I will look it up and let you know...

I was going to mention that tutorial but I didn’t know if I was allowed. If you can’t find yours Marilyn, I can post it later this evening. 

12 minutes ago, ladyscrapalot said:

I was going to mention that tutorial but I didn’t know if I was allowed. If you can’t find yours Marilyn, I can post it later this evening. 

Ok thanks Kelly.  I should be able to find it in the mess of my scrapbook folder once I get my computer back.

57 minutes ago, Becster said:

And like MAGIC, Susie Roberts has a tutorial in the new SS Club!!! I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks so much for your advice, I'm going to try out all the suggestions!

That Susie is a mind reader, lol! I hope you show us what you create! I'm curious to see it now.

I tried, and it's not giving me the effect I'm looking for. Maybe I'm not calling it the right thing. I'm looking to make the image appear to have pencil stroked around it. The tutorial just helps convert it to black and white and the edges are just a bit fuzzy. I'm looking to make it more artistic, if that makes any sense.

6 hours ago, Florida granny said:

Have you tried making the logo black and white then, in PSE 9, going to Filter > Artistic > Colored Pencil? It makes it into a pencil sketch that will be black and white. If you prefer a colored sketch, just leave the original in color. (Don't forget to work on a copy, not the original photo, but you know that already. :) )

I'm going to try this next. Thanks!

Update: Nope. Oh well, I think that the original just isn't the type of image this will work on.

1 hour ago, Becster said:

I'm going to try this next. Thanks!

Update: Nope. Oh well, I think that the original just isn't the type of image this will work on.

Don’t give up yet. Wait for Marilyn to post the tutorial she mentioned. I would do it now if I was at home. I think it is what you’re looking for. I’ve used it several times but I just take a step further and turn it into colored pencil sketch. 

Archived