Computer crashed, lost tons of files

I got the blue screen of death last week on my desktop and immediately took it in to my computer store.  No luck.  It's fried.  I'm sick and grieving for what I lost.  I had not done a backup in a long time....sigh.  They gave me a pamphlet at the computer store about a place that, for a hefty price, can do miracles.  Has anyone ever been able to save their lost files in such a way?  Tech said it could cost up to 1000 dollars.  I'm not sure what I will do, but I am thinking I may have to just accept the loss.  p.s.  This is the second time this has happened to me, do not feel sorry for me, I apparently learned nothing after the first time this happened.  

Ugh. I'm so sorry. I'm lucky (knock on wood) that this hasn't happened to me, but I can't tell you how many times I've had hard drives fail on me. I'm pretty diligent about backing them up because of this.

I've heard of people getting some of their files, but I'm not sure I've ever heard of anyone being lucky enough to recover it all.

Sorry to hear that Cindy!  Luckily I haven't had to deal with that so i'm not sure what can be replaced (some or all of it)  I can say anything from SG's that we still have in the shop, we can send you a new link for.  Just let us know when your ready for it

Oh, no matter what I AM sorry, Cindy that’s awful.  And, I know that for however many times we say we should know better, we often don’t keep up with things like backups.   Wishing you the best case scenario in trying to retrieve files.   Hopefully someone will have some advice for you.  I think Andrea maybe recently had this happen to her?

2 hours ago, MariJ said:

Oh, no matter what I AM sorry, Cindy that’s awful.  And, I know that for however many times we say we should know better, we often don’t keep up with things like backups.   Wishing you the best case scenario in trying to retrieve files.   Hopefully someone will have some advice for you.  I think Andrea maybe recently had this happen to her?

Andrea I was trying to remember if you had a way to retrieve your files?  

I'm dreading this day too, I'm sorry this has happened, I do hope you can get all or some of your files back. I also have 2 EHD that I use constantly and all my stuff is stored on one and backed up on the other.
I just had an idea, how about if you approached the university in your area and speak to their IT faculty, perhaps a 3rd year student may be able to help as part of a work experience or even the tutor might give you some advice and this might not cost you a $1,000.

3 hours ago, Marie-Christine said:

I'm dreading this day too, I'm sorry this has happened, I do hope you can get all or some of your files back. I also have 2 EHD that I use constantly and all my stuff is stored on one and backed up on the other.
I just had an idea, how about if you approached the university in your area and speak to their IT faculty, perhaps a 3rd year student may be able to help as part of a work experience or even the tutor might give you some advice and this might not cost you a $1,000.

That’s a great idea, Marie.   So often there are college students around who can do this sort of thing. 

How horrible for you. I think we've all have been in this situation. It only took one time for me to lose hundreds of photos, most of which I somehow managed to recover, before I started to use Carbonite for my backups. And I have Ro to thank for that. It does it automatically every time a new file is added to my computer, so all my files are backed up. I also have a 5TB External Hard Drive which is also backed up by Carbonite. A few months ago my computer die, but I was able to retrieve all of my files. I took the dead PC to 'Staples' and they helped me.

EHDs are great to have, but they too can crash on you. I know, as it's happened to me in the past. So ladies, protect yourselves and get an off site backup system, like Carbonite for peace of mind.

I hope you are able to get your missing files back Cindy.

Sorry Cindy to read of what has happened.

I back up files to two different EHDs and recently I am using Backblaze as I read good reports about it. 

I don't care how many times it happens, it still makes me feel sick to my stomach to read about this. I'm so sorry and I hope you find a way to retrieve at least some of your lost files.

P.S. I fixed your challenge chase blinkie in your siggy for you...

So sorry for you. I lost all quite a few years ago so I feel your pain. I have two EHD's and also BackBlaze like Anne-Marie has, it's about $50 a year and worth the comfort it gives. Our lives are in our computers.

39 minutes ago, Boatlady said:

So sorry for you. I lost all quite a few years ago so I feel your pain. I have two EHD's and also BackBlaze like Anne-Marie has, it's about $50 a year and worth the comfort it gives. Our lives are in our computers.

I wondered how much an online backup would cost, is it really only about $50 a year?
Also, will it back up laptops, not just desktops - silly question but I’m never sure of things like that. 

I had an online service a few years ago and I hated it. It took forever to back anything up and then it didn't get everything I needed backed up (learned that the hard way). Are they better now?

1 hour ago, CRS said:

I had an online service a few years ago and I hated it. It took forever to back anything up and then it didn't get everything I needed backed up (learned that the hard way). Are they better now?

I have wondered about this.  I realize we have a lot of stuff to back up but seriously, it seemed never ending!!!  Seems recently I have heard the best things about CrashPlan and BackBlaze.  Haven't heard much about Carbonite.  

Cindy...so sorry this has happened.  It happens to the best of us. I have heard of others having success using those recovery companies.  I guess it depends on "what it's worth to you".  

I pay early for carbonite and it's always backing things up.  Every now and then I get a message that a file couldn't be backed up, but I don't worry too much about it.  I use it as my "last ditch effort"  I know recovering files from it takes so long to do...but if all else fails or if something happens to the house, I know that there's a back up off site.

My husband laughs at me and my set up...so here it goes

My "C" drive on my computer has very little on it's.  It's a SSD so only programs are installed, since it's not huge like my other hard drives.  

My "H" drive I brought over from my old computer.  It has EVERYTHING on it and is the main HD I work off of.

My "F" drive is all my scrapbooking designs.

Those are my 3 internal HD's.  They are all run on their own so if any 1 goes down then the other 2 are still working.

Then I have 4 EHD. 

1 back up of my kits and any commercial use items I have

1 back up of all my photography stuff.  I keep all sessions for a year then I delete them.

1 is a back up of everything

1 is a back up of SG's server (even though we pay to have it backed up off site it's just a in case)

So everything is backed up twice at my house...and then carbonite if needed. 

thanks everyone for your thoughts.  Thanks Carla for fixing my siggie too.  As the days go on from the day of the "crash" I am feeling more upset about it. Feeling the huge loss in waves.  It's quite depressing.  I am just down right now and hoping that will pass in time.  thanks for thinking of me.

21 hours ago, ScrapgirlCindy said:

thanks everyone for your thoughts.  Thanks Carla for fixing my siggie too.  As the days go on from the day of the "crash" I am feeling more upset about it. Feeling the huge loss in waves.  It's quite depressing.  I am just down right now and hoping that will pass in time.  thanks for thinking of me.

Maybe it's worth the $$ to try to get it recovered if you are feeling more upset instead of moving on to acceptance.

22 hours ago, CRS said:

Maybe it's worth the $$ to try to get it recovered if you are feeling more upset instead of moving on to acceptance.

I was thinking that too.   You’ve had some big losses and it might be worth paying to try to get back some of your computer things.   
The money may be a lot, but feeling better about it could “pay" that back a bit.  

My tech guy was able to recover everything from a hard drive that crashed, and it cost maybe a third of what you quoted.  He has the super machine that can do it - he does a lot of business work, so maybe it was worth his while to get it.  I would call around for some quotes.  Good luck!

Archived