HD Failure Imminent

Whenever my desktop computer starts, it gives me a failure imminent warning. I've run the chkdsk from the menu that pops up when you right-click on the drive name, but it tells me nothing is wrong. I've looked online, but I really don't know whose advice to trust, except here. 

Is there any other diagnostic I can run, or a repair I can do, or should I just replace it and get on with life?

Fortunately, everything is backed up regularly and it hasn't crashed yet. 

Thanks for the help and advice!

Oh NOooooo..  ?  Sorry Rose Ann - that’s a lot worrisome!    I work on a Mac so have ni advice, but I wanted to say I feel your pain!  Lucikly you’re backed up and hopefully some of our tech gurus will show up with an answer.   Good luck.   Fingers crossed here.... 

Rose Ann I had that about 3 years ago. I called Dell with all my info and they diagnosed it as a bad hard drive by the codes it gave.  I had a new hard drive put in my laptop, the data transfered and it is fine. I did just upgrade my laptop this summer  to have more memory and more speed but the hard drive is fine. Good luck and let us know what happens.

• 2 months later...

Oh no I hate that.  I personally would probably get a new one if it's in the budget, especially if the other one is older.  The advancements in computers is so great that even a year old computer is "out of date" and you can start fresh with a new one.

7 hours ago, Rose Ann said:

Okay. New computer it is. :)  Any recommendations? I have a laptop, so I'm looking for all in one or desktop. 

Thanks for advice and help!

I'd go for the desktop. All in one's I would stay away from. I had a pc all in one and a tv with a dvd included and I had trouble with both of them. The dvd stopped working and I couldn't turn on the pc. When one item goes, they all start to go.

Yeah, I tend to stay away from the all in ones.  We have a store here that builds computers.  So I got their "store" brand that was WAY better than anything you could buy going to Best Buy or someplace for way cheaper.  It's funny, I actually went to Best Buy first and they are the ones that sent me there.

So it might be worthwhile to see if you have a computer/electronic store in your area and see if they do something like that.  

• 2 months later...

Just a terrifying feeling when the blue screen of death happens! First time for me I didn't have any regular backups, a LONG time ago. I just got a new computer a few months ago. Was going to upgrade my old one, but the techies said it was not upgrade-able and too old -- 6 years. I had one built by the shop we use for repairs. Was expensive (but not outrageous), but I'm so much happier with it than I would be with a 'store bought' one. Desktop PC for sure. Depending on your finances I would get an SSD, 1 or 2T. They are so much faster and quieter. Also as much memory as you can afford. PS just loves memory to death. I agree you should check your area shops and see what is available. With everyone shut down you might be able to get more of what you would like at a very reasonable price, just for them to have the work. Check with the BBB for complaints and such before ordering. Good luck.