Covid-19 reading?

alsoarty

I have found myself reading all day every day. I’ve read 8 books in less than a week. . . . I was wondering why I had a headache every day around 4pm. I’ve been reading these sets of books by Diane Greenwood’s Bellingwood series. They’re box sets, and I love them - they’re almost like cost mysteries, but better. I’m starting the 4th boxed set, there are 3 books in each box set. Highly recommend them.

I've been able to finish a couple of books I had started, and I'm working on a few more.  I usually am reading more than one at a time, lol.  I just finished Unspeakable Things by Tess Lowrey, and The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell.  I'm reading The Book Thief (really need to finish that one, it's good), and just started If You Tell by Gregg Olsen, which I'm not a fan of the writing style, but it's a true story (horrible) that took place in Washington State, where I am. 

I have a couple of novellas by Stephen King waiting on my Kindle, and several other books lined up, downloaded and waiting.

My life is still a little crazy so I have not been able to read much. but I am reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett.

They found termites in the house wall (common in Florida) between master bath room and Living/dining room so all the house is a mess. All the furniture is away from walls, china cabinet contents are on the dining room table. Bathroom had to be demoed so there is a mess there and with stuff into the bedroom. They are tiling shower now then toilet, new vanity that should be done by friday.Bug guy has been here every few days to respray as the house was ripped apart. Soon the baseboard can get replaced in Living room and that mess cleaned up. Dust everywhere.

But on top of this I arranged 5 other sewers to make masks at the community center so we can give them to people who need them. I have been there every day and will be there all week I am sure. So  our spare bedroom is a disaster of sewing supplies and choas from the bathroom project.

Not a moment to myself so I cannot get depressed about the confinement or read my book.

12 hours ago, Boatlady said:

My life is still a little crazy so I have not been able to read much. but I am reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett.

They found termites in the house wall (common in Florida) between master bath room and Living/dining room so all the house is a mess. All the furniture is away from walls, china cabinet contents are on the dining room table. Bathroom had to be demoed so there is a mess there and with stuff into the bedroom. They are tiling shower now then toilet, new vanity that should be done by friday.Bug guy has been here every few days to respray as the house was ripped apart. Soon the baseboard can get replaced in Living room and that mess cleaned up. Dust everywhere.

But on top of this I arranged 5 other sewers to make masks at the community center so we can give them to people who need them. I have been there every day and will be there all week I am sure. So  our spare bedroom is a disaster of sewing supplies and choas from the bathroom project.

Not a moment to myself so I cannot get depressed about the confinement or read my book.

That’s awful Debby. Just as well you may not be going up north thus Summer. Ugh, I can’t imagine!

7 hours ago, Grandmadori said:

While sewing masks and doing jigsaw puzzles I have found listening to Audible books is a great way to get my "reading" in.  I think my husband is getting jealous of Inspector Gamache.

I tried audible....flung myself fast asleep and didn’t know where I was in the book.

20 hours ago, Mikelle said:

I've been able to finish a couple of books I had started, and I'm working on a few more.  I usually am reading more than one at a time, lol.  I just finished Unspeakable Things by Tess Lowrey, and The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell.  I'm reading The Book Thief (really need to finish that one, it's good), and just started If You Tell by Gregg Olsen, which I'm not a fan of the writing style, but it's a true story (horrible) that took place in Washington State, where I am. 

I have a couple of novellas by Stephen King waiting on my Kindle, and several other books lined up, downloaded and waiting.

I’m going to have to look up these books. The one by Gregg Olsen is very good, and sad.

On 4/8/2020 at 11:17 AM, Grandmadori said:

While sewing masks and doing jigsaw puzzles I have found listening to Audible books is a great way to get my "reading" in.  I think my husband is getting jealous of Inspector Gamache.

Ohhhh...listening to a book AND putting a puzzle together at the same time???  Brilliant!!  

I was strictly a one-book-at-a- time person but now I seem to be able to cope with much more. I have something on the go in every format - Audible, Kindle and paper! I can recommend Elton John's autobiography and a novel called Once upon a River by Diane Setterfield - set on the banks of the Thames in late Victorian times.

OOOOhhh, I like the idea of reading about Elton John’s life.   Our libraries are closed but I can still get library ebooks for my kindle.  I’ll have to look for that one.

Someone recommended “The Seven Sisters” series by Lucinda Riley.   I read book one on my kindle from the Library;  right now book 3 is available but I’m still waiting for book two because I want to read them in order!   They have seven stories, they all look good.  I’m just trying to figure out how to get them without spending a lot of money.   If the library were open I think I could get hard copies there.

On 4/10/2020 at 9:51 AM, MariJ said:

OOOOhhh, I like the idea of reading about Elton John’s life.   Our libraries are closed but I can still get library ebooks for my kindle.  I’ll have to look for that one.

Someone recommended “The Seven Sisters” series by Lucinda Riley.   I read book one on my kindle from the Library;  right now book 3 is available but I’m still waiting for book two because I want to read them in order!   They have seven stories, they all look good.  I’m just trying to figure out how to get them without spending a lot of money.   If the library were open I think I could get hard copies there.

I've read several of those. I should check to see if they're lendable on Kindle.

I checked, and they aren't. I've only read 1 and 2.

13 hours ago, April Showers said:

I've read several of those. I should check to see if they're lendable on Kindle.

I checked, and they aren't. I've only read 1 and 2.

Thank you so much, April!   For thinking and checking, I never understand what makes Kindle books lendable or not.   
These books appear difficult to find after the first few and not many are available on the Library Kindle.   I ALMOST considered buying the set, but it’s over $50!   That said, each individual paperback is well over $10 individually.  I’m hoping that my friend can find the ones that she has and that someday there will be a library open again for the subsequent hard copies.    Thanks again. 

On 4/9/2020 at 5:19 PM, ladyscrapalot said:

@alsoarty I used to have that problem with audio books. Now I only listen to them when I am cleaning or cooking, etc. It helps make those activities go by quicker and more (well a little more) enjoyable. :D

That sounds like a good idea...

As for my series I’ve been reading,  it has so much food, and murder/dead bodies, kindness, friends, and everything. Come to find out there are at least 19 books in the series, even a website with all the recipes! And, me——> dork, I’ve joined the Facebook group. Lol.

Due to the emergency declaration, they've been able to open the National Emergency Library (https://archive.org/details/nationalemergencylibrary), which is set up for disasters like this.  Also, through Open Library, you can read many books that have been digitized, whether in the public domain or not.  I've enjoyed re-reading my favorite series, many of which aren't in my library any more.  

My librarian told me their kindle books expire either after 3 years or 20 times checked out, which is why they vanish from the collection.

58 minutes ago, Smiles said:

Due to the emergency declaration, they've been able to open the National Emergency Library (https://archive.org/details/nationalemergencylibrary), which is set up for disasters like this.  Also, through Open Library, you can read many books that have been digitized, whether in the public domain or not.  I've enjoyed re-reading my favorite series, many of which aren't in my library any more.  

My librarian told me their kindle books expire either after 3 years or 20 times checked out, which is why they vanish from the collection.

Thanks for this information Gayle, I’m going to check this out.  I’m trying to figure out if they support the Kindle format.   I’m checking!  :) 

6 minutes ago, Smiles said:

For open library, you actually read  online - it may be a .pdf of the book, but pages turn like a Kindle.

Oh, ok thanks!  I thought that’s what it looked like but I wasn’t quite sure and couldn’t really figure it out.

On 4/12/2020 at 3:43 AM, MariJ said:

Thank you so much, April!   For thinking and checking, I never understand what makes Kindle books lendable or not.   
These books appear difficult to find after the first few and not many are available on the Library Kindle.   I ALMOST considered buying the set, but it’s over $50!   That said, each individual paperback is well over $10 individually.  I’m hoping that my friend can find the ones that she has and that someday there will be a library open again for the subsequent hard copies.    Thanks again. 

I bought the two I have, and I'm pretty sure the price is why I haven't finished them.

6 hours ago, April Showers said:

I bought the two I have, and I'm pretty sure the price is why I haven't finished them.

Books 2 and 3 just because available on Kindle/library last night so I’m good for those two.   But, after that it’s what my friend finds or if the library ever opens again, it looks like they have at least Books 4-6 and possibly 7.   

34 minutes ago, ladyscrapalot said:

@MariJ It looks like you might be able to get the 4th one on Kindle for free?

@ladyscrapalot - Kelly where did you see that please?  When I looked on Amazon the 4th book was free only with Kindle unlimited which you have to pay for.
Then again, once I finish Books 2 & 3 I might have to try that for a month for free and read, read, read!  :D

9 hours ago, MariJ said:

@ladyscrapalot - Kelly where did you see that please?  When I looked on Amazon the 4th book was free only with Kindle unlimited which you have to pay for.
Then again, once I finish Books 2 & 3 I might have to try that for a month for free and read, read, read!  :D

Oops my bad!! I guess I missed the part of Kindle unlimited. :sorry:

8 hours ago, ladyscrapalot said:

Oops my bad!! I guess I missed the part of Kindle unlimited. :sorry:

That’s  ok, thank you!  I was hoping that maybe I’d missed something!

7 hours ago, alsoarty said:

Yeah, I’m currently doing the one month free with Kindle. So I can finish my series - I’m on book 13 of 29...!

That might be what I have to do if Libraries aren't open when I finish these...  And, I doubt they will be for awhile.  :( 

I'm a big reader too...so far I've read 5 of Catherine Coulter's FBI series and will start #6 today. That's in 1 week. There are 25 books in the series so that will fill the next month. I've also discovered online Scrabble games; although I've never been good at Scrabble, I am enjoying the games.