Take the background out of a picture

Bittyfeet

I'm using Elements 11. All the books I can find concentrate on photography with Elements, not digital scrapbooking. I'm taking pictures of pins (jewelry) and flowers with a new dslr and can't find how to remove the background to turn them into elements. It's probably something obvious that I'm overlooking, but I can't figure it out. I used to know how but that was many years ago when I used Elements 5 (showing my age, huh). Please help me get going again. Thanks, girls. I'm sure this is only the first of many questions as I go along. I know someone can help me.

Karen

Karen,  see if these videos might help you :   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmJpZ6pyYHg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wZ7CkxFsDg

Anne~Marie, you are a blessing. That's exactly what I needed.  Now I'm off to play. Scrapgirls are still the most helpful people on the planet. Feels good to be back among friends.

Karen

Good afternoon,
I noticed the question about background remover (extractions) so I checked out the links for the videos. After watching the videos, I realized with my physical disability (I am a quadriplegic so I don't have use of my hands and use a mouth-stick) this would not be an option for me. I recently discovered that in the newer versions of Photoshop Elements there is a section on the top of the screen called Guided. Once you click on Guided and then go to the next screen and click Special Edits you will see a selection for Background Remover. When you enter the workspace you have a variety of choices as to how to select your subject matter, whether to add a new background or leave it a transparent background (so you can save it as a PNG file), change the positioning of you the subject or the background, soften the edges of your subject and you can even auto match the color tone so you can blend your subject with your background. You also have the option once you've made your background removal/extraction decisions to save it or to continue editing it in Quick or Expert mode.

I am teaching myself how to use PSE just by going through the different tools and the options available within the program itself. I've included my first layout that I did using the Background Remover in the Guided section in my PSE 2020 for Windows. I extracted this Doe from a group of four others. I found using this extraction tool fairly easy to use with my mouth stick. I just thought I would pass information along in case you are thinking of upgrading your software down the road.
Stay safe, be well and have a great day!

Good morning Belle, thank you so much for your kind remark regarding my extraction. Please let me know how you found working in the guided section to complete an extraction. I'd be interested to know how an able-bodied person found that feature to work with on your extraction. This way, I could pass the information along to others if I'm asked. Thank you so much, stay safe, be well and have a great day! Hugs, Linda ?

Good morning Marilyn and Belle,
I am so happy that I was able to provide you with some information regarding extractions and background removal using the Guided Section in PSE. Sharing information, providing feedback on layouts and just the warm and friendly atmosphere here Scrap Girls are some of the reasons why I have been here and purchasing items since 2007. I cannot count how many times fellow members have helped me with answering my questions, provided feedback on my layouts and just the constant encouragement to just go for it and create away... Including getting me to try to design outside of my comfort zone and to think outside the box!
Thank you so much to Angie and all for making Scrap Girls the fantastic community that it is!
Stay safe, be well and have a great day! Hugs, Linda

Just saw this - and I'm so glad you posted the tip, Linda.  Yes, Scrap Girls is definitely the best, and we do all learn when someone asks a question.  There are so many ways to do things in Photoshop and Elements, and different techniques may work better for different people.  It's all in how our brains are wired.