Photoshop Elements 2020 on coloring black antique overlays to a different color

nckarter

I had 2 strokes and so things are messed up for me.  I cannot remember how to do certain things.  Then my computer broke and I had to get Photoshop Elements 2020 with new computer.  I've spent hours trying to figure out how to change the color of black to another color.  If I try paint bucket it colors a bunch and it's all blurry.  What am I doing wrong?  

I tried hue/saturation but it didn't work either.

Help Norma

ASO_SS_Paper_Fanciful_Baroque.png

Hi Norma, I hope you're feeling better nowadays.  I'm not good with recoloring, but here's what I'd do.   
First I'd add a new layer over the template.  I'm working in PSE 20 on a Mac and so I'd use the "Command J" shortcut.  I think it might be "Control J" on Windows?
Then I'd pick the color I wanted to use with the color picker and use the Paint Bucket Tool to fill the new layer.

Next, I'd clip the painted layer to the template and then adjust the opacity slider or try different blending modes.   That's the part I'm not too good at, so hopefully someone else will come along who can do it better.

Good luck.  

I would do the same as Marilyn...you could also layer a textured paper over the mask.

Keep feeling better...I hope you show us your finished page.

2 hours ago, lindarobin said:

Hi, Norma.  It's inspiring to see someone learn to use a new computer and new software after 2 strokes!  Just to add to the previous advice of clipping a new layer to your overlay - that new layer can be solid color, brush strokes, paper, or any combination.

Untitled.jpg.c38ddb7bc4b7f2bce658ffe4c6b4e3a8.jpg

Ahhhh..  SO cool Linda - I'm learning too and never thought of that!   Although of course - I never thought of paper!