Whatcha reading?

blueheartscraps

I love that there's a forum area devoted to books...I find that when I take time to escape and get lost in a book, that I do far better.  So, what's everyone currently reading (so I can load of my Goodreads To Read list and hopefully cover my reading challenge this year) :)

I just started Matt Haig's The Midnight Library a few days ago.  I have a feeling it's going to be a slow, in-depth, emotional read for me, based solely on the theme.  I'm trying to do a lot of it through Audiobook. Carey Mulligan's voice is hypnotizing, though, so I have to be careful trying to listen when I'm tired, because she lulls me to sleep easily :)

Tell me all about your current book!

• Like 1

I love JD Robbs In Death series. It's a bit futuristic and takes place in 2060. The new book will be out on 5 February. That day I don't cook, clean or talk to anyone. I just listen to my book. I don't like true stories. (Everyone knows that the Titanic sank ?). I don't enjoy war stories, too serious. Life is serious enough without still reading about it. I like books that are slightly funny. Love Janet Evanovich.  Jana DeLeon's Misfortune books are also so funny. I always get the audio version because then I can knit, cook, scrap etc while listening to my books. (Except on JD Robb days).

• Like 2

I admire people who can listen to books while doing other things. I have to do it when I'm doing tedious work -- washing dishes, eating, etc.  If it's something that takes attention, detail, thinking, etc -- I can't read at the same time.  It all gets muddled in my head.
Drives my husband crazy! lol -- he's always coming home telling me yet another podcast he's been listening to "you should try this one out the next time you open Photoshop"

Yeah, no.

Either I won't get ANYTHING done in PS, because I'm too busy listening and paying attention...or I'll be creative and find 15, 20+ minutes have gone by and I have NO CLUE what I've just listened to ?

I marked the first JD Robb's In Death book, Naked In Death, as Want To Read ages ago, but I've never tried any of her books out.  I do see there are a LOT of books in that series, though, which is nice -- means you can jump from one book to another without a wait.  I'll have to give the book a try sometime soon!

Since you like mystery/romance/humor type books, have you ever tried the Rose Gardner Mystery series (or really, any books by Denise Grover Swank)?  I've convinced a few friends to fall in love with them, and there is a smaller spinoff series, Rose Gardner Investigations to enjoy, too:

Rose Gardner Mystery Series by Denise Grover Swank | Goodreads

Rose Gardner Investigations Series by Denise Grover Swank | Goodreads

• Like 1

@blueheartscraps I haven' tried the books you suggest. I will check that out. Naked in Death  I read 21 times. When my book started falling to pieces I got the ebook and then the audio. I have finished listening to the whole series again. I love them. Such strong characters. Thank you for the suggestions. 

• Like 1

I read The Midnight Library and loved it!  My 86 year old MIL lives with us, and because of COVID she's often stuck in the house (old age, too, but she gets around pretty well), and so she reads a lot.  I feed books to her, and gave her the Midnight Library a while ago, but she got just a couple of chapters in and decided she didn't like it - that theme, I think.  I suggested she stick with it, because it actually ends up a happy ending, but I don't think she did, lol.  I ended up reading a couple of Matt Haig's other books after that, too.  Such interesting concepts.

Right now I'm reading Lisey's Story by Stephen King (was released in 2006, but I think they are making a movie of it).  Almost done with it, and then I've got a "real" book (as opposed to one on my Kindle) that my daughter gave me for Christmas, so that's next in line.  I forget what it's called, though.  Between my DH and me, plus my MIL and my 15 year old who also reads occasionally, we've got a ton of books in the house.  (My 13 year old doesn't enjoy reading, other than graphic novels, which some of those are actually interesting too). I do love to read, but reading often takes second to so many other things I like to do - scrapping, quilting, playing silly games on my iPad and the Switch - not to mention all the stuff I have to do, like go to work.  Not enough time in the day!

Here, I actually brought my Kindle to work with me today.  I do that sometimes, in case I end up waiting for more cases to show up on my desk.  Here are a few that I have read more recently:

How to Stop Time by Matt Haig

Anxious People by Frederik Backman

Billy Summers by Stephen King

In Five Years by Rebecca Serle

I've got sooooo many others waiting in the wings.  Yikes!

• Like 1

My youngest DD gifted me a 3 month subscription to BOTM club for Christmas. I haven't read my January pick yet but I think it will be my next tbr. I picked The Magnolia Palace by Fiona Davis. I like to read thrillers. I just finished The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides. I also liked the Jesse Hunt series by Blake Pierce and The Women's Murder Club series by James Patterson. Besides thrillers I like to read books by Elin Hilderbrand and Mary Kay Andrews.

I like any mindless romance novels.   Think "Hallmark movie in print".  LOL. I love reading ones that are in a series EXCEPT then I get sucked in books deep and I really shouldn't spend THAT much time reading....I will be anxious to see other recommendations!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ladyscrapalot said:

My youngest DD gifted me a 3 month subscription to BOTM club for Christmas. I haven't read my January pick yet but I think it will be my next tbr. I picked The Magnolia Palace by Fiona Davis. I like to read thrillers. I just finished The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides. I also liked the Jesse Hunt series by Blake Pierce and The Women's Murder Club series by James Patterson. Besides thrillers I like to read books by Elin Hilderbrand and Mary Kay Andrews.

Ooh! What did you think of The Silent Patient?! We read that through a book club I hosted on another scrap forum a few years ago -- I certainly did NOT see the ending coming, that's for sure! (and I LOVE books that surprise me that way)

I'll have to check out the rest of the books you mentioned, thanks for sharing the names with me!

1 minute ago, SodScrap said:

I like any mindless romance novels.   Think "Hallmark movie in print".  LOL. I love reading ones that are in a series EXCEPT then I get sucked in books deep and I really shouldn't spend THAT much time reading....I will be anxious to see other recommendations!

Haha -- I go from hating romance books to needing a little of their sugary sweetness mixed in with my other crazy/dramatic books.
I just recommended a series of books (there's 3 right now, but the author has another book coming in April that sounds like it might fit the series) to a friend a few weeks ago, and she's thanked me MANY times since, lol!

This is the first book:

The Friend Zone (The Friend Zone, #1) by Abby Jimenez | Goodreads

• Like 1

@ladyscrapalot  Kelly, I read The Silent Patient a couple of years ago and it really got be going to the end which I was not expecting. There was talk of it being made into a movie. 

My TBR shelf is groaning under the weight of books waiting to be read - not to mention the umpteen books I buy for my Kindle on the daily deal! I'm currently reading The Great Circle by Maggie Shipstead about a female aviator. It was shortlisted for the booker prize and I can see why.

I'm so interested in these posts and have to check out the books mentioned.    Like Hilary, I have a bunch of books to read AND so many on my Kindle - (I get an email with free ones each day) that I could read two a day and still have some left when I'm old and gray.

I just finished Jodi Picoult's latest "Wish You Were Here".    I love her writing, but while I haven't been fond of some of her recent books - this one will be one of my favorites.   It's really good and has her signature "twist".   But, in an unexpected place!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MariJ said:

I'm so interested in these posts and have to check out the books mentioned.    Like Hilary, I have a bunch of books to read AND so many on my Kindle - (I get an email with free ones each day) that I could read two a day and still have some left when I'm old and gray.

I just finished Jodi Picoult's latest "Wish You Were Here".    I love her writing, but while I haven't been fond of some of her recent books - this one will be one of my favorites.   It's really good and has her signature "twist".   But, in an unexpected place!  

Yeah...my To Read list (as well as the INSANE number of emails in my mailbox of book suggestions and book deals) -- I'll never get through all the books I want to read, lol.

I'll have to check out Wish You Were Here -- I've read a few of Jodi's books, and am a huge fan of her writing.

On 2/2/2022 at 11:21 AM, blueheartscraps said:

Yeah...my To Read list (as well as the INSANE number of emails in my mailbox of book suggestions and book deals) -- I'll never get through all the books I want to read, lol.

I'll have to check out Wish You Were Here -- I've read a few of Jodi's books, and am a huge fan of her writing.

It is a good one, at least I thought so!   

• Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 11:56 AM, blueheartscraps said:

I love that there's a forum area devoted to books...I find that when I take time to escape and get lost in a book, that I do far better.  So, what's everyone currently reading (so I can load of my Goodreads To Read list and hopefully cover my reading challenge this year) :)

I just started Matt Haig's The Midnight Library a few days ago.  I have a feeling it's going to be a slow, in-depth, emotional read for me, based solely on the theme.  I'm trying to do a lot of it through Audiobook. Carey Mulligan's voice is hypnotizing, though, so I have to be careful trying to listen when I'm tired, because she lulls me to sleep easily :)

Tell me all about your current book!

I've read The Midnight Library, though not the audio version. I thought the concept was intriguing; it kept me interested. I hope you like it!

On 2/1/2022 at 4:05 PM, Mikelle said:

I read The Midnight Library and loved it!  My 86 year old MIL lives with us, and because of COVID she's often stuck in the house (old age, too, but she gets around pretty well), and so she reads a lot.  I feed books to her, and gave her the Midnight Library a while ago, but she got just a couple of chapters in and decided she didn't like it - that theme, I think.  I suggested she stick with it, because it actually ends up a happy ending, but I don't think she did, lol.  I ended up reading a couple of Matt Haig's other books after that, too.  Such interesting concepts.

Right now I'm reading Lisey's Story by Stephen King (was released in 2006, but I think they are making a movie of it).  Almost done with it, and then I've got a "real" book (as opposed to one on my Kindle) that my daughter gave me for Christmas, so that's next in line.  I forget what it's called, though.  Between my DH and me, plus my MIL and my 15 year old who also reads occasionally, we've got a ton of books in the house.  (My 13 year old doesn't enjoy reading, other than graphic novels, which some of those are actually interesting too). I do love to read, but reading often takes second to so many other things I like to do - scrapping, quilting, playing silly games on my iPad and the Switch - not to mention all the stuff I have to do, like go to work.  Not enough time in the day!

Here, I actually brought my Kindle to work with me today.  I do that sometimes, in case I end up waiting for more cases to show up on my desk.  Here are a few that I have read more recently:

How to Stop Time by Matt Haig

Anxious People by Frederik Backman

Billy Summers by Stephen King

In Five Years by Rebecca Serle

I've got sooooo many others waiting in the wings.  Yikes!

I think Anxious People is one of my all time favorites! Though I've liked all the Backman books I've read. I think what I like best about him as an author is that he seems to truly love his characters.

Its funny as I haven't heard a lot of the books you all mention but I have just read ( since Christmas that is) .... 'Two Shakes Of A Lambs Tale' by Danielle Hawkins. She is a NZ vet and its written in a diary format and soooooo funny such a good read :) 
My SIL loves Danielle Steel and I've never read any of hers but just read 'Flying Angels' Its ok but not very exciting I need a deeper story line.
I read 'Lost Roses' by Martha Hall Kelly. Such a great read but sad. Its a historical novel based on true events before and during WW1.

I'm reading 'The Woman In The Window' by A.J.Finn at the moment but have only read 2 chapters so far.

@MariJ I love Jodi Picoult but haven't read that one yet its on my wish list :) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jane in N.Z said:

I'm reading 'The Woman In The Window' by A.J.Finn at the moment but have only read 2 chapters so far.

That was a good book! One of those where I spent the majority of the story thinking "yep, I've got this all figured out", and then BAM! A curve I didn't see coming threw everything for a loop and I couldn't read fast enough!  Hope you enjoy it!

Also, the Netflix movie was good! :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2022 at 1:18 AM, SodScrap said:

Conda dear, I belongs to the same club, I love romance movies and novels, but not with so much drama, lol, and Hallmark movies are my faves ?
There are few mystery and murder books that I have read, not exactly my thing, there's already so much misery in the world, so I prefer to read something unreal, positive, beautiful, where there is love.

Currently reading a book from Julia Quinn - The Duke and I

On 4/5/2022 at 5:03 PM, GraceJ said:

Conda dear, I belongs to the same club, I love romance movies and novels, but not with so much drama, lol, and Hallmark movies are my faves ?
There are few mystery and murder books that I have read, not exactly my thing, there's already so much misery in the world, so I prefer to read something unreal, positive, beautiful, where there is love.

Currently reading a book from Julia Quinn - The Duke and I

E X A C T L Y !

• 1 year later...
On 7/1/2023 at 11:07 AM, ScrapgirlCindy said:

I'm reading My Life As A Rat by Joyce Carole Oats.  It's so good!

ooh...that one sounds interesting! Probably not something I would normally read (not even sure if I would have heard about it any other way), but the description is enough for me to throw it on my To Be Read list, and I'll pick it up soon! Thanks for sharing!!

I'm currently reading Blind Bake, the first in the Maddie Baker Mysteries Series by Denise Grover Swank.  I'm a HUGE fan of Denise and read most of her books (her Rose Gardener series, and its multiple spin-off books, are some of my favorite books!)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kinfolk by Sean Dietrich. Here's a blurb from Goodreads: Beloved Southern writer Sean Dietrich, also known as Sean of the South, once again brings people and places to life in this lyrical song-turned-story about found family, second chances, country music, and the poignant power of love and forgiveness. I admit I usually listen to audio books because I am determined to multi-task. Driving, cooking, cleaning- I usually have my headphones on and listening. The rating on Goodreads is 4.54 at least for now but I'm only just beginning it. Before that I listened to Richard Russo Somebody's Fool. His books have a lot of characters so if you are listening and not paying fool attention you might miss something important. In between those I had a few fails. Sometimes it's difficult to find a book you love and there are so many books and so little time.

I just finished Vera Wong's Unsolicited Advice for Murderers, by Jesse Q Sutanto. What a fun book. It's exactly the cozy mystery I was looking to read after a few heavier books. I laughed out loud many times. Vera finds a body in her Teahouse, and believes the police to be incompetent, so she sets out solve the murder on her own. 

One was called Before and After, by Judy Christie (and Lisa Wingate) which is a nonfiction book that follows Lisa Wingate's novel Before We Were Yours. Both books are about the compelling stories of the victims of Georgia Tann and the Tennessee Children's Home Society in Memphis. Un-put-downable! Also by Lisa Wingate: The Book of Lost Friends, follows three women on a perilous quest in 1875 in Louisiana, as well as a first-year teacher in a poor community, also in Louisiana but in 1987. Each chapter begins with a newspaper add of people searching for loved ones in the post slavery era.  I love Lisa Wingate's writing!

• Like 1