Tuesday Newsletter - May 10, 2022

Celestine

My mother, grandmothers and a beloved great aunt, who was a strong mother-figure, have been the most important influences in my life, while my own experience as a mother has been defining to me as a person. My father and grandfathers all died too young, and witnessing these women meet mid-life head-on without their partners also shaped me and made me treasure the gift of family. Today's challenge is to reflect on those women who mothered us, whether a biological connection or not, and tell their stories through images and/or journaling and your own unique artist's touch.

Please post your layout in the Weekly Newsletter Gallery and in the May Challenge Chase if you are playing along. Link to your layout in the thread below. 

I look forward to learning all about the mother figures in your life. Here is a layout showing my always affectionate 25-year-old mother lavishing some love on my younger brother.

Here's mine, for once I was quick!  I'd started this "Mom" layout this weekend but couldn't get back to it, so it was great to finish!

Mom in the Catskills

Celestine, I enjoyed your challenge notes above and it made me think.   Both my Mom and Aunt lost their husbands and we children our Fathers young so yes, that's true. We all grew up watching strong women function and live life - it was certainly great learning experiences, much as they were missed.   I never thought of that, you expressed it so beautifully.

2 hours ago, MariJ said:

Celestine, I enjoyed your challenge notes above and it made me think.   Both my Mom and Aunt lost their husbands and we children our Fathers young so yes, that's true. We all grew up watching strong women function and live life - it was certainly great learning experiences, much as they were missed.   I never thought of that, you expressed it so beautifully.

Thanks, Marilyn. It is hard to believe that I am now older by several years (in one case a decade) than each of these women were when the were widowed. I know they had struggles, but each one was so strong. They all worked outside the home for nearly all of their lives - rare for those days - but it was out of necessity. They all had what they needed, but no extras, and they never traveled. They worked hard, they loved us kids ferociously, and they had their small pleasures in life. I miss them all. 

• Like 1