Sale-a-bration 2022 Slow Scrap (Wednesday game!)

Mikelle

Woo hoo, it's Sale-a-bration time!  We're going to start this week's games with a Sale-a-bration Slow Scrap.  Starting today (June 22nd) through next Tuesday (June 28th) I will post one task a day (that's 7 tasks total), helping you to slowly build a layout by the end of our Sale-a-bration week.  As with all other layouts you create during the Sale-a-bration event, you will have until midnight ET on Wednesday June 29th to complete and upload your layout to the Sale-a-bration 2022 Gallery in order to get credit for it.  (Make sure you also check out the Sale-a-bration 2022 Challenge and Game Schedule thread for more information on rules, prizes, etc), and once you post your completed layout at the end of the week, don't forget to update your layout list in the Participation thread HERE.

As we go along this week working on our slow scrap layouts, feel free to post thumbnails or smaller images of your progress in this thread - this is highly encouraged, but not mandatory. It's fun to see slow scrap layouts come together as the tasks pile on, and I'd love to follow your progress as the week passes!  You may also ask any questions here in this thread.  The tasks are relatively straight-forward this week, with not too much crazy built in!  To post an image in this thread, save a smaller copy of your layout to your computer/hard-drive, then just drag your file over to the bottom of the text box where you normally would type your comment (the text box has a gray bar at the bottom that says "Drag files here to attach, or choose files" with an embedded link to upload images.

Are you ready for your first task?  See my next post below!

• Like 1

TASK 1 (Wednesday task): 

Start a new layout in whatever size you prefer, then find photos from either a celebration (birthday, Christmas party, anniversary, retirement, etc), or a trip that you've taken.  Choose 1 to 3 photos from the celebration or trip to use for your layout, and alter at least one of the photos in some way.

Some ideas for altering your photo(s) include using a filter or blending mode on the photo layer, isolating one or two colors from the photo(s) and making the rest of the photo black and white, changing the photo(s) to black and white or sepia, etc.  Cropping your photo doesn't count!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mimes1 said:

Here's mine, celebrating my mom's 94 birthday. I hope I don't live to regret the sketch filter on this picture!

0622_Saleabration_SlowScrap_AFL_LO_150.jpg

I like the effect! Do you have a sketch filter or did you use a bunch of different effects, styles or modes? Is the filter from the Scrap Girls store?

3 hours ago, SeeWhatSueSaw said:

I like the effect! Do you have a sketch filter or did you use a bunch of different effects, styles or modes? Is the filter from the Scrap Girls store?

Hi Sue, I used the Colored Pencil Filter in CC2022. I've been goofing around with it and I layered it over an untouched photo and changed the opacity of the colored pencil layer. The colored pencil is still predominant but there is more color in it. 

I love the layouts so far!  Good for you guys that are on top of things this week - I'm already behind!  I'll get caught up this weekend.  I also plan on shopping this awesome sale.  My 13 year old is flying out very early Sunday morning for an organized science trip to Florida through her school, so we'll be spending at least part of Saturday getting her packed.  She's super excited, and also anxious.  She gets to swim with dolphins, and go to the turtle hospital!

FRIDAY's task:

Find a suitable frame for at least one of your photos, and spice it up with an embellishment cluster:  Find a pre-made frame (our awesome designers have made sooooo many lovely frames with their collections!) that works with your photo(s), OR make your own frame.  If you find a frame that already has a cluster attached, that's great; otherwise, either find a premade embellishment cluster (the designers often provide those, as well) OR make a cluster of your own and add it to your frame(s).  The embellishment cluster does not have to be large or contain lots of embellishments - keep in mind there will be more embellishments added to your layout in future tasks.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2022 at 3:02 AM, MariJ said:

Here's one of my photos - I added a pink photo filter to it.  

2138337511_Pink.thumb.jpg.19182ad9fddb720d2083445c99343a7f.jpg

Marilyn, where was this taken?  This photo is so similar to several I took while I was stationed in Japan, at the Hirosaki cherry blossom festival.  So pretty!

On 6/23/2022 at 3:26 AM, barbaraj said:

As some of you know I lost most of my photos although I have some from my camera. It may take me awhile to figure this out.

Oh Barbara, I had no idea.  How did that happen?  I'm so sorry!  ?

55 minutes ago, Mikelle said:

Marilyn, where was this taken?  This photo is so similar to several I took while I was stationed in Japan, at the Hirosaki cherry blossom festival.  So pretty!

Hi Mikelle, well thank you for that!   These photos were taken at Branch Brook Park in Newark, NJ -- a very urban and big inner city where the park is a huge asset.   It has always claimed that its cherry blossom trees were more in number and prettier than Washington DC (which has the name for cherry blossoms) and many of the Newark ones came from Japan.   There is a Cherry Blossom Festival each year, except for 2020 and 2021.    I loved hearing you say that it looks like Japan and I wish my Mom who grew up in Newark could have heard that!  ?   New Jersey is really a beautiful state but gets overshadowed by New York - and in this case DC so I loved hearing you say that!

The cathedral in the background is Sacred Heart Cathedral - the Catholic Archdiocese's of Newark's church where the ArchBishop resides.  Since I went to a regional Catholic High School with no large gymnasium or church, I graduated from there.

THIS ARTICLE  gives you a good overview of the park.   When I was a little girl we went ice skating in the pond.
It's not really safe to walk through these days, but it's still beautiful and a nice ride-through.

This tells you about the festival -
https://www.nj.com/entertainment/2022/04/cherry-blossom-festival-blooms-in-branch-brook-park-after-2-year-absence.html

Thanks Mikelle, your words made me smile.  

3 hours ago, Mikelle said:

My 13 year old is flying out very early Sunday morning for an organized science trip to Florida through her school, so we'll be spending at least part of Saturday getting her packed.  She's super excited, and also anxious.  She gets to swim with dolphins, and go to the turtle hospital!

I have always wanted to swim with Dolphins and the turtle hospital sounds so cool. ? Good luck to her, nothing else considered it has to be hard to have had to stay inside and home for awhile and now be flying far from home.   I hope it's an exciting and wonderful experience for her!