Thursday Challenge: Mess Versus Masterpiece

Welcome to Thursday's Anniversary Challenge:  Mess versus Masterpiece!  

The whole point (and fun) of Mess versus Masterpiece is to see the layout that comes from a given set of random supplies that you pull from your own stash.  Don't get too bogged down in doing this the "right" way, as each one of us organizes our supplies a little differently.  As I give you the various steps and instructions for finding your supplies, if your organization system doesn't quite fit, do the best you can.  Also, if your folder or subfolder does not have the required number of supplies to count to, count them all and then start over at the top (or bottom as per instructions), as many times as you need to in order to get to the given number for that supply.  If you don't have subfolders (folders within other folders), just skip them and count the supplies.  If you have to adjust the way you find your supplies (because you organize differently), as much as you can try to be consistent; count your elements the same way every time.

Here are the RULES for your layout:

-       No Scrap Simple products (when counting, don’t count SS products)

-       Only use the supplies given, no others, although you may duplicate what you have

-       You may use shadows/shadow styles in addition to the given supplies

-       You may crop your photo and papers if you wish

-       Do not alter hue/saturation of supplies, or use filters.  Exceptions:  You may use blending modes on your papers ONLY, and you may alter only your photo (using a filter, B&W, etc).

-       Everything must be visible.

-       As much as possible, use SG supplies (don't forget to list your supplies, if you can!)

Prizes

To be eligible for any of the 3 grand prizes you must participate in all Anniversary games and challenges by the deadline (midnight EST 10/31) We will then do a random draw for each of the prizes from everyone that’s eligible.

1st Prize:  $75 GC

2nd Prize: $50 GC

3rd Prize: $25 GC

Each individual game/challenge will have a $5 prize

The first set of instructions is in the next post below (I'll post each set of instructions in bold purple throughout the day).  If you have questions, just ask!  I'm posting the first task Wednesday night so that you all can get started, but I'll post the second set of instructions first thing when I get up in the morning.  Have fun!

Ready for some randomness?  😄

Photo:  Find your special MvM photos by consulting the list of months below.  Find your birth month and follow the instructions to track down your challenge photo(s):

If you were born in:

January:  Choose a photo or photos from winter of 2012-2013.

February:  Choose a photo or photos from a 2008 or 2009 holiday (any holiday!)

March:  Choose a photo or photos from spring of 2019 or 2020.

April:  Choose a photo or photos that were taken within the past year (so between Oct 2021 and now).

May:  Choose a photo or photos from any trip taken between 2010 to 2015.

June:  Choose a photo or photos that were taken with your cell phone.  If you don’t have a cell phone or don’t use your phone to take photos, choose a photo that has been scanned in from a paper photo.

July:  Choose a photo or photos from summer of 2017-2018 that involve water in some way.

August:  Choose outdoor photos from 2014 or 2015.

September:  Choose a photo or photos from autumn of 2011, 2012, or 2013.

October:  Choose a photo or photos from a 2015 or 2016 holiday (any holiday!)

November:  Choose a photo or photos taken on your cell phone from the last two years (Oct 2020 to now).  If you don’t take photos on your cell phone, then find any photo(s) from October of 2020 to scrap.

December:  Choose a photo or photos taken during a celebration from 2018 or 2019 (like a Christmas party, birthday party, anniversary celebration, retirement ceremony, etc).

You don't have to post thumbnails of your progress as we move along today, but I'll post a few of mine in this thread.  Feel free to post yours here too, if you'd like!  Here's my photo (I'm a March birthday, so I had to choose photos from spring of 2019 or 2020.  This is from April 2019 - random photo!)

image.thumb.png.e38cb2cb87ae329df8a873ab1d41d541.png

• Mikelle changed the title to Thursday Challenge: Mess Versus Masterpiece

I had a difficult time already - but after searching through My Photos on my phone I was able to find a few from early 2020 - which one to use will depend on the next instruction!

2 hours ago, Belle said:

I love these. I think mine will definitely be a mess. I'm going for my second eye op today. I don't know when I'll be able to see again.🙃

Thinking of you Belle and hope all goes well :) 

I'm May so I'll have to go back a few years now :) 

3 hours ago, Belle said:

I love these. I think mine will definitely be a mess. I'm going for my second eye op today. I don't know when I'll be able to see again.🙃

I hope it all goes well for you Belle. 

4 hours ago, Belle said:

Good luck Belle, thinking of you!   Hopefully you are all finished and home resting by now...  💜

I

5 hours ago, Belle said:

Good afternoon Belle, I pray and hope everything goes extremely well for you today! Looking forward to seeing your "Mess" layout.😊

OK, ready for your papers?  Once again, based on your organization system, figure out how the below directions will best work for you, and then be consistent with how you count your elements (papers in this case).  Here we go!

Papers:

Paper 1:  Find the 6th designer down, then the 3rd collection folder for that designer, and then the 8th paper in that collection.

Paper 2:  43rd designer, 5th collection, 3rd paper.

Paper 3:  21st designer, 2nd collection, 7th paper.

Here are my three papers.  I'm not a fan of teal and red as a color combination, but of course that's what I ended up with!  😂. I forgot to say, I did apply a filter to my photo.  Syndee's Soft Color filter style.  I figured my combo of papers would probably not show off my photo well, and I was right, lol.

image.thumb.png.e5d02471c71fe3507016bc5c14f9ba3c.png

I found some photos from October 2008. Uilkraal holiday.

I don't save my collections by designer. I just put everything in a file called Scrap Girls Collections. I always use my organizer to sort my collections. I just counted my files and made the selection like that. I got some pretty papers. 

ABL_RoseScented_Paper_Pink-Lt;  ABR_SugarSpice_Paper-Sugar; ABR_SummerRom_Paper-Tan

Let's start on the embellishments!  I know not everyone loads their layouts with embellis, but this is a masterpiece, right?  (Notice I said let's START on embellishments...)

Embellishment 1:  1st designer, 5th collection, 18th embellishment.

Embellishment 2:  30th designer, 9th collection, 12th embellishment.

Embellishment 3:  19th designer, 4th collection, 67th embellishment.

Embellishment 4:  59th designer, 7th collection, 17th embellishment.

16 minutes ago, Mikelle said:

I seem to have lost the ability to "like" posts - did everyone else lose that, too?  

Yep!   Appears to be a change or new issue, posted on status updates and April is checking.   How's that for a report?!  🤣

PS A lot of us, you included probably - thought we were losing our minds!

1 hour ago, CRS said:

Wow, that's a lot of counting!!

I was doing great until the orange popped in!

My 3 papers are blended together. I was lucky to get 2 with purple and 1 b/w.

messormasterpience.jpg.bdc6feaaae40bd9c871924107d707063.jpg

Carla - 🤣  At least the candy corn fits with our current season!  Your layout will be awesome!

OK, here are our remaining embellishments:

Embellishment 5:  14th designer, 11th collection, 53rd embellishment.

Embellishment 6:  7th designer from the bottom, 3rd collection down, 16th embellishment from bottom.

Embellishment 7:  27th designer from the bottom, 8th collection down, 31st embellishment from bottom.