Currently "Reading"

Amy D

Reading is in quotes because I find it much more fun to listen to audio books! I can work on something tedious (chores, physical arts & crafts projects like fussy cutting, or even masking something in PS). Currently I'm listening to Home Front by Kristin Hannah - she also wrote The Four Winds - which I highly recommend.

Home Front is set in the mid 2000's, as we get a glimpse into the life of a family who is dealing with marriage, kids, a deployment and a career minded defense attorney.

The Four Winds is set in Texas & California during the Dust Bowl & Great Depression. It is historically accurate as we are enthralled by the main character's tenacity!

BTW - I have an app called "Libby" which uses my library card - so I'm not buying books or paying for a monthly subscription!

3 hours ago, Amy D said:

Reading is in quotes because I find it much more fun to listen to audio books! I can work on something tedious (chores, physical arts & crafts projects like fussy cutting, or even masking something in PS). Currently I'm listening to Home Front by Kristin Hannah - she also wrote The Four Winds - which I highly recommend.

Home Front is set in the mid 2000's, as we get a glimpse into the life of a family who is dealing with marriage, kids, a deployment and a career minded defense attorney.

The Four Winds is set in Texas & California during the Dust Bowl & Great Depression. It is historically accurate as we are enthralled by the main character's tenacity!

BTW - I have an app called "Libby" which uses my library card - so I'm not buying books or paying for a monthly subscription!

Reading is in quotes because I find it much more fun to listen to audio books! I can work on something tedious (chores, physical arts & crafts projects like fussy cutting, or even masking something in PS

I also like listening because then you can keep  your hands busy at the same time.

• Like 1

Yes!! It's like listening to a radio show - so good! I'm not really sure why you can't listen to an audio book immediately through Libby - but I currently have  books on hold - The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and 2 others

16 hours ago, Amy D said:

I'm not really sure why you can't listen to an audio book immediately through Libby

Since Libby is connected to your library it can only lend out how ever number of copies it owns. For example I’m on a wait list for James Patterson book (22 Seconds, in The Women’s Murder Club series. ) My library has 4 copies  currently there are 10 people waiting for each copy. Right now I’m 31st in line, started at 55th. Another site you can borrow from is the Internet Archive. It’s not connected to any certain library and it’s free although the highly encourage donations. Not only do they have ebooks and audiobooks, the have music, old radio shows, etc. Some copies of books you have to renew every hour, not sure why so just check the lending options before you borrow. I’ve only used the site a couple of times so I’m still learning my way around. 

• Like 2

These are all great tips and ideas.   I've found, though that I am so much more a visual learner than an auditory one, so whenever I try to listen to a book my mind wanders and I suddenly think, what did they say - and have to rewind.  Over and over again!   I used to listen to tapes at night, but then I fall asleep!    🤣 :banghead: 

I have a cousin who always has earphones on listening to books when doing projects.   She also listens when she drives long distances!

That's great information, Kelly.   @ladyscrapalot

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 11/16/2022 at 12:20 AM, Amy D said:

Absolutely!! Where The Crawdad's Sing & Braiding Sweetgrass are fantastic too!

I second those . Loved both! I just switched from Overdrive to Libby. I always use the library. Luckily I have access to  both for my city and for Detroit. That helps shorten the wait sometimes. It can be long- I have been in the hundres for some books.

I love the Inspector Gamache Series by Louise Penny. It's also a mini series called 3 Pines on Amazon Prime. I just finished the 18th book in the series called a World of Curiosities. Here are my 5 and 4 star books for 2022:

The Hearts Invisible Furies, These Precious Days, a World of Curiosities, The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue, Billie Summers, The Music of the Bees, French Braid, Lessons in Chemistry, All the Moves Us, Daisy Darker, The Many Daughters of Afong Moy, Iona Iverson's Rules for Commuting, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, The Violin Conspiracy, and This Tender Land. That seems like a lot but it's 15 out of 51 books, Usually I give most books a 3 star rating. The first 3 in red are the 5 star books. The good thing about using the library is if you don't like the book you can just return it. There are more books I'd love to read/listen to than I'd have time for in my life for sure! I'm going to look at Four Winds now 😊

p.s. I can't listen or watch tv while I scrap. I find I have no idea what's going on.

• Like 2

On 12/26/2022 at 5:18 PM, beatricemi said:

I second those . Loved both! I just switched from Overdrive to Libby. I always use the library. Luckily I have access to  both for my city and for Detroit. That helps shorten the wait sometimes. It can be long- I have been in the hundres for some books.

I love the Inspector Gamache Series by Louise Penny. It's also a mini series called 3 Pines on Amazon Prime. I just finished the 18th book in the series called a World of Curiosities. Here are my 5 and 4 star books for 2022:

The Hearts Invisible Furies, These Precious Days, a World of Curiosities, The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue, Billie Summers, The Music of the Bees, French Braid, Lessons in Chemistry, All the Moves Us, Daisy Darker, The Many Daughters of Afong Moy, Iona Iverson's Rules for Commuting, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, The Violin Conspiracy, and This Tender Land. That seems like a lot but it's 15 out of 51 books, Usually I give most books a 3 star rating. The first 3 in red are the 5 star books. The good thing about using the library is if you don't like the book you can just return it. There are more books I'd love to read/listen to than I'd have time for in my life for sure! I'm going to look at Four Winds now 😊

p.s. I can't listen or watch tv while I scrap. I find I have no idea what's going on.

Well done for reading 51 books this year! I didn't quite make the 50. glad to hear I'm not the only one who gives books star ratings! I rate up to 5 stars. Anything that's heading for less than 3 I don't finish - there's too many good books out there to waste time on rubbish!

• Like 2

I agree Hilary. There are so many good books. I use Goodreads to track the books I've read/listened to. I do give most 3 star ratings, a few 4 star and an occasional 5 star. I think I am a tough rater lol. I follow a few friends whose taste is consistent with mine so I look at their lists. Then I look at the overall rating of a book and try to choose 4 and above. That might not be fair as I'm one of the ones consistently giving 3 stars. I like using the library because you can either stop reading or listening with nothing lost.

• Like 1

Our library stopped supporting both Overdrive and Libby. It is using Cloud Library. Seems to have the same functionality, except the cool page turn animation lol. I try to keep track with Goodreads, but I so often forget to add the books I've read.

• 2 months later...