White Elephant Gift Exchange will start Wednesday! (Sign-ups are now closed)

Mikelle

We have closed the sign-ups for the White Elephant gift exchange.  We've got 20 people signed up, which means this should be a blast!  😀  See below for the list of those who are signed up. I will start a new thread soon, and will give each of you your number.  Because I am on the West Coast of the U.S. (three hours behind Eastern time), I will aim to start the game play around midnight ET tonight (that is 9:00 p.m. for me, so I will start the game off before I go to bed tonight). 

I'll be posting often as we go along; I'm hoping to ensure that everyone knows exactly what should happen next, ie who's turn it is and what prizes are still available to be stolen.  As Angie said in a post below, be patient with us as we try out this game this year... I think it will be tons of fun, with lots of prizes to be had, but I'm sure there will be some bugs to work out.  

HOW THE GAME WORKS:  You'll be choosing a gift from our game board, in order according to your number (we'll announce when it comes time for each number to choose a gift).  When it's your turn to pick a gift, you may either steal someone else's gift, or choose a new one.  If your gift is stolen from you at some point during the game, then you will be able to either steal another or choose a new gift.  You may not steal the gift back that was just stolen from you.  Each gift can only be stolen twice; the third person who "owns" it gets to keep it!  We will be playing this game most of the week (not just Wednesday), so no worries if you can't be online constantly.  If the game directions are confusing, no worries there either.  We will let you know what happens next, step by step!

List of those who have signed up (the numbers beside your names are NOT your game numbers - I will provide those to you in the new game thread very early Wednesday morning, Eastern time):

1. Diane (Florida Granny)
  2. Amy D
  3. Hilary
  4. Debby
  5. Barbara J
  6. Marilyn
  7. Bea
  8. Conda
  9. Bee Creation
  10. Amy (mimes)
  11. DRB Designs
  12. Celestine
  13. Carla (CRS)
  14. Jane (in NZ)
  15. Laura
  16. Andrea
  17. Carol (carolwenxin)
  18. Grace J.
  19. Kelly (ladyscrapalot)
  20. April

I'll give it a shot but its the last day my granddaughter is here so won't be able to give it full attention. Sound a little hectic.

• Like 1

Hey all....we have all week to play, so it won't be a fast/crazy game.  We will tag you when it's your turn, and we will wait on you.  We know we have several in different time zones and such.  If needed we will also drop you a email/PM if we don't hear from you.

We've never played this one before, so be patient with us as we go through this.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, angleigh said:

Hey all....we have all week to play, so it won't be a fast/crazy game.  We will tag you when it's your turn, and we will wait on you.  We know we have several in different time zones and such.  If needed we will also drop you a email/PM if we don't hear from you.

We've never played this one before, so be patient with us as we go through this.  

Whew, that's good and sounds like loads of fun, Angie!    We do it with real gifts on Christmas and it's hilarious and a great game to play!
Thanks!   :santa:

51 minutes ago, SodScrap said:

I feel like you are going to steal my gift, Marilyn.  🤣🥳

:rofl::rofl::rofl:     Awwwww...  Conda!   It's funny at Christmas either we have people cutthroat or those that try to hide their gifts.   😆    We once played in my painting class and everyone was so polite and not stealing gifts that it was not even fun!  Someone has to start the stealing or it isn't any fun, right?    Maybe we should be the stealers - gear up!  😗

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, MariJ said:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:     Awwwww...  Conda!   It's funny at Christmas either we have people cutthroat or those that try to hide their gifts.   😆    We once played in my painting class and everyone was so polite and not stealing gifts that it was not even fun!  Someone has to start the stealing or it isn't any fun, right?    Maybe we should be the stealers - gear up!  😗

My Bunko group does our exchange this way.  It can get CRAZY!!!  Yes, they hide their gifts or just say, "no, it's hideous".   One year, though, I think no one stole a gift so then no one felt they could steal.  It will be fun!!  

20 minutes ago, SodScrap said:

My Bunko group does our exchange this way.  It can get CRAZY!!!  Yes, they hide their gifts or just say, "no, it's hideous".   One year, though, I think no one stole a gift so then no one felt they could steal.  It will be fun!!  

That's exactly what happens!  If no one starts a steal, everyone else is hesitant to and then it's really not as much fun.   Even if you lose the best present.  It's happened to me!   😱

Yay, quite a few people are signed up already!  PSA - I already messed the game up a little by posting the sign-ups late, so Angie has graciously allowed one more day for sign-ups... AND team members can also play and WIN!  If you've ever played an in-person White Elephant gift exchange, the game can get crazy, with presents flying everywhere.  The more people that play, the more fun the game is!  

Sign-ups will continue on Tuesday, let's say until 6:00 p.m. ET.  I think that will give Angie time to finalize the game board so that we can start the game off Wednesday!  @angleigh

18 hours ago, MariJ said:

That's exactly what happens!  If no one starts a steal, everyone else is hesitant to and then it's really not as much fun.   Even if you lose the best present.  It's happened to me!   😱

We did the Yankee Swap many times at our marina parties and it is great fun. Never played when no one was stealing so I imagine it would be dull. This will be interesting!!!!

• Like 1

• Mikelle changed the title to White Elephant Gift Exchange will start Wednesday! (Sign-ups are now closed)