Just got this in today

Amy D

... the 10x10 photo book I ordered from Shutterfly. Overall I'm pleased with the quality - they are going to re-print & send me a replacement free of charge (because of those flaws). Good size too. Glad it wasn't a gift because of those cracks/creases - but CS was great! For this project I went with a soft cover - glad I did. Hardcover is an investment & would be fantastic for a gift though! - simple LO here

yes ma'am, 10x10 is perfect. I'm not particularly fond of how close they printed the pages to the binding - I ordered full-page printing for each page. Next time I will try the border option (so each page becomes a 9.5 inch square). 

1 hour ago, Amy D said:

yes ma'am, 10x10 is perfect. I'm not particularly fond of how close they printed the pages to the binding - I ordered full-page printing for each page. Next time I will try the border option (so each page becomes a 9.5 inch square). 

Ahhhh..   Yes, I've had that problem no matter what I've chosen, so normally now I leave an extra  ½ inch "dead" space around each edge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I leave a 1/2 inch of background paper around the edges of my pages and that has always worked. In other words, my background goes to the edge but I make sure I don't have photos or journaling within a half inch of the borders. I don't used decorative page edges, either, unless it doesn't matter if they aren't totally visible in the finished book. 
My Shutterfly books wind up being 9.5 squares, as you said.  Printique (by Adorama, a NYC company) prints the full 10x10. They are usually more expensive than Shutterfly but have perfect color reproduction. I think (not sure) that they ask you not to put anything important within  1/4 inch of the edges of you page, but I always leave the half inch anyway.  By the way, your book looks great!
@MariJ  I've been making 10x10 books lately and find them to be a great size. You can scrap the pages as usual without having to re-size them and upload them as 12x12 with no problem for the printer.

• Thanks 1

I have run into the border overprint problem as well. When I was finalizing my daughter's wedding book, I loaded a few neutral background pages (like Brandy Murry's embossed white papers) and inserted my layout into a photo box and shadowed and sometimes rotated it a few degrees. I did this on pages where it was clear something was likely to be cropped off. Having a select few background papers consistent through the whole project made this technique look intentional.

• Like 1

I always leave a 1/2 border around 3 sides of my page. The binding side I leave at least 3/4 inch, if there is text I leave a full inch. This of course means you need left and right templates for bleed. And the thicker your book the more inside border you need for those pages in the middle of your book. I'm glad to know everyone seems to be happy with Shutterfly. I am, soon to be not, a Costco printer-er. The last time I used Shutterfly, many years ago, for some stationary and cards their printing and quality was terrible and so was customer service. I use 8.5x11 horizontal which they didn't use to offer for books. Glad to see they have lots of options now. I have several albums in the works which I will never get finished up before Costco closes up shop. I did get my PL 2021 finished and sent off to print yesterday. Today I plan on finishing PL 2022 and getting it sent off. These will be my last Costco orders:angry:😭 I was please to find that from Costco Photo there is an option to transfer you pictures to Shutterfly. So they will be in albums at Shutterfly. Books don't transfer but at least I will have all the pages already uploaded. Hopefully I won't have to resize all of them.

Update: I just checked my Shutterfly photos and I misspoke. The photos are all there, just not in albums. They in order by the date/year they were uploaded to Costco, as near as I can figure. Will have to go through and place them all in albums.

On 1/10/2023 at 9:22 AM, Celestine said:

I have run into the border overprint problem as well. When I was finalizing my daughter's wedding book, I loaded a few neutral background pages (like Brandy Murry's embossed white papers) and inserted my layout into a photo box and shadowed and sometimes rotated it a few degrees. I did this on pages where it was clear something was likely to be cropped off. Having a select few background papers consistent through the whole project made this technique look intentional.

Hi there! were these papers the ones you used? http://store.scrapgirls.com/Embossed-Paper-Biggie.html. I'm just getting started on a wedding book...I really kind of like the clean lines of no paper, focus on photos which are beautiful and Creative fonts....can I have your opinion? I am attaching a previous book I did but this time I want to go with pure white.... I really like the clean lines of this..https://issuu.com/bystephaniedesign/docs/wedding-photography-album. of course no paper....I would just add embellishments.

IMG_0714.jpg

Edited by terriscrapper
added information

3 hours ago, scrapgarden said:

I always leave a 1/2 border around 3 sides of my page. The binding side I leave at least 3/4 inch, if there is text I leave a full inch. This of course means you need left and right templates for bleed. And the thicker your book the more inside border you need for those pages in the middle of your book. I'm glad to know everyone seems to be happy with Shutterfly. I am, soon to be not, a Costco printer-er. The last time I used Shutterfly, many years ago, for some stationary and cards their printing and quality was terrible and so was customer service. I use 8.5x11 horizontal which they didn't use to offer for books. Glad to see they have lots of options now. I have several albums in the works which I will never get finished up before Costco closes up shop. I did get my PL 2021 finished and sent off to print yesterday. Today I plan on finishing PL 2022 and getting it sent off. These will be my last Costco orders:angry:😭 I was please to find that from Costco Photo there is an option to transfer you pictures to Shutterfly. So they will be in albums at Shutterfly. Books don't transfer but at least I will have all the pages already uploaded. Hopefully I won't have to resize all of them.

Update: I just checked my Shutterfly photos and I misspoke. The photos are all there, just not in albums. They in order by the date/year they were uploaded to Costco, as near as I can figure. Will have to go through and place them all in albums.

I loved Costco printing - always superior and it was wonderful when you could pick up right at the warehouse to avoid shipping charges.   That was bad enough, but when I got the email saying they were closing, I was so sad!     Shutterfly is good, but you can't beat Costco's prices either,

1 hour ago, terriscrapper said:

Hi there! were these papers the ones you used? http://store.scrapgirls.com/Embossed-Paper-Biggie.html. I'm just getting started on a wedding book...I really kind of like the clean lines of no paper, focus on photos which are beautiful and Creative fonts....can I have your opinion? I am attaching a previous book I did but this time I want to go with pure white.... I really like the clean lines of this..https://issuu.com/bystephaniedesign/docs/wedding-photography-album. of course no paper....I would just add embellishments.

That Embossed Paper Biggie is the kit that I meant. On occasion I would also add a paper that was already included somewhere in the layout that I needed to shrink a bit because things I didn't want cut off were bleeding to the edge. It was like adding a wide "border" to a layout. My daughter's wedding scrapbook is quite a bit different, however, than the one you highlighted (if you link to the gallery found in my siggy section you can see a lot of wedding layouts if you go back to pages 20-40 of my content). My daughter's wedding pages were heavily embellished with brushes, papers, borders from many kits. Some pages were more storytelling. It wasn't at all cohesive except with a predominant color scheme of blue, green, white, gray and black. If you are sticking to a simple layout plan or template pattern, is there any reason not to just use this same technique with plain white or black background? The album my daughter got from her photographer was very, very similar to the one you have included in the link, except there wasn't any text. I think the link you have included would be very popular with a current bride and groom. The trend is toward very simple lines in everything from the dress to the signs to the photos. Just a few years ago, it was lace, lace everywhere, LOL. Adding your own personal journaling about photos, people, events, decor, etc is something you can do that the photographer never could. My only suggestion would be to not neglect those "stories" since only family can tell them. Years later these tidbits will be valuable as well as the images. Good luck, Terri! I hope you share some of the layouts with us!

4 hours ago, scrapgarden said:

I found a local print shop in town that delivered excellent quality when I had my 2023 calendar made - but their prices were a bit high

On 1/13/2023 at 2:56 PM, Celestine said:

That Embossed Paper Biggie is the kit that I meant. On occasion I would also add a paper that was already included somewhere in the layout that I needed to shrink a bit because things I didn't want cut off were bleeding to the edge. It was like adding a wide "border" to a layout. My daughter's wedding scrapbook is quite a bit different, however, than the one you highlighted (if you link to the gallery found in my siggy section you can see a lot of wedding layouts if you go back to pages 20-40 of my content). My daughter's wedding pages were heavily embellished with brushes, papers, borders from many kits. Some pages were more storytelling. It wasn't at all cohesive except with a predominant color scheme of blue, green, white, gray and black. If you are sticking to a simple layout plan or template pattern, is there any reason not to just use this same technique with plain white or black background? The album my daughter got from her photographer was very, very similar to the one you have included in the link, except there wasn't any text. I think the link you have included would be very popular with a current bride and groom. The trend is toward very simple lines in everything from the dress to the signs to the photos. Just a few years ago, it was lace, lace everywhere, LOL. Adding your own personal journaling about photos, people, events, decor, etc is something you can do that the photographer never could. My only suggestion would be to not neglect those "stories" since only family can tell them. Years later these tidbits will be valuable as well as the images. Good luck, Terri! I hope you share some of the layouts with us!

Thank you for your response!! Its been awhile since I've done this and I appreciate any help..... I am struggling to find any templates large enough to work for a wedding book....My Photos are huge 28 x17, it takes alot to downsize them to fit!!! I only want maybe 3 at most per page....can't find templates unless I do one per page which I don't want to do.... I almost wonder if I should just buy the one I linked above and work with it but not sure I want to be locked into that! Pretty pricey! hope you are well and I'm not bothering you!!!

5 hours ago, terriscrapper said:

Thank you for your response!! Its been awhile since I've done this and I appreciate any help..... I am struggling to find any templates large enough to work for a wedding book....My Photos are huge 28 x17, it takes alot to downsize them to fit!!! I only want maybe 3 at most per page....can't find templates unless I do one per page which I don't want to do.... I almost wonder if I should just buy the one I linked above and work with it but not sure I want to be locked into that! Pretty pricey! hope you are well and I'm not bothering you!!!

Terri - I didn't use templates for the wedding photo book. Each page was custom by me. Have you thought about creating your own templates? If you are doing something in simple rectangles, it might not be too hard. You could even use that sample photobook as your guide.

Value Pack: Build Your Own Layout

Terri - here is an option as well. This template can be individualized 1000 different ways. If you want three photos per page you can do that any way you like. This collection of templates are presized, but if you like something for your layout but need it larger or smaller you can easily resize.