Flair (Glossy bevel)

Amy D

I am curious, before I buy these - can you apply these styles on an element without changing the original pattern or color? In other word, I want to use the settings on this style to get gloss & depth - not looking to change the color. Would I just go into the style (on the layer) and change the opacity? FYI - I use Photoshop CC 2023

Oh wow, now that is really cool!  Normally you have to make two layers because it changes the element like you said Amy.   So, do I understand correctly you can apply it then turn off the color and have the original pattern remain?    I'm wondering how you turn off the color?   I'm so interested, please let us know Amy and thanks Angie for the demonstration!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MariJ said:

Oh wow, now that is really cool!  Normally you have to make two layers because it changes the element like you said Amy.   So, do I understand correctly you can apply it then turn off the color and have the original pattern remain?    I'm wondering how you turn off the color?   I'm so interested, please let us know Amy and thanks Angie for the demonstration!

You can turn the color (Color Overlay) off in the Layer Style Effects panel in Photoshop. I haven't really used Elements, so I don't know how or if it is possible in PSE.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, angleigh said:

@MariJ what program are you using

Hi Angie!  
I'm using PSE 20 and I wondered from the product page if it is just for PS?  

I wondered if that was the problem since it made no sense to me to turn off color, I had no idea what that meant!.
@April Showers @Amy D

PS I just went and tried Syndee's Bubble and Glass style on an element and then clicked on the "fx" in my layers panel on that element.  I can turn off  Drop Shadow, Glow or Bevel but nothing about color.  
What I'd normally do is duplicate the element, then apply the style to the top layer and either leave as is or use a different blending mode.   

So I guess in PhotoShop you can use the style without the duplicating layer and then turn off color, is that right?  Who knew?  🤣

This is all very exciting. I use PS CC and never knew this! Just tested it with a couple of styles and it worked great. Some of the styles I tested didn't have the color overlay option so I guess if the style isn't built with it in the first place this doesn't apply. Thank you Angie, April and Amy for the tips. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah, some styles won't have a color overlay.  Let's say for example glitter.  The designer may have the glitter pattern one color, then recolor that pattern and build the style with a pattern overlay instead of a color overlay.   But quick tip with those, let's say you have an action you like with a pattern overlay and you wanted to use a different pattern.  You can make your own. For example let's say I love this glitter but wanted a different pattern (I personally wouldn't use glitter since it's usually pretty flat, but it's what I had on my computer) and I wanted to use the pattern from this paper.  With the paper active I would go edit>define pattern and that makes that paper a patternimage.jpeg

Then on the glitter image I click on the FX next to it down in the layers palette to open up the style and choose pattern overlay

image.jpeg

That little drop down next to the pattern box, click that and then choose your new pattern.  Keep in mind not all styles are built that same, so after you choose your new pattern, you may have to adjust the scale slider under that to get your pattern the size you want it.  ALSO with that layer style box open and the pattern overlay choosen, you can now go back to your image that you have the style applied to move around the pattern layer.  This is helpful because if you used a full paper like this one, what's currently showing on your image you applied the style to might not be the pattern you want to show.  Then click ok and everything will stay "put"

image.jpeg

Back to color...you can also change the color of a style.  So on  my neon for example.  Let's say you applied one of the blues like here

image.jpeg

But it's not the shade you really want.  You can click on the FX and I would start with color overlay.  Click on the color that's applied now and your color picker box will come up.  Find the new color you want and then copy and paste that hex code at the bottom (the numbers after the #)  Again, not every style is the same, but this one is built with not only a color overlay but outer glow, inner glow, etc.  The reason you grab that hex code is you want to know what you changed the main color to.  Click on outer glow, and you will see it's set at a lighter version of the main color.  So go down, paste that hex code in the box, your outer glow will change to your main color, then you can pick a lighter color from there.  I would copy that hex code because you'll want to change the inner glow to the same.

image.jpeg

Hope that all makes sense.  Styles you can usually do alot with...because there's so many more tips out there, these are just a few.  @MariJ  I"m going to send you my neon style, because I know it has the color overlay built in.  Try it in PSE and see what happens.  I have a version of PSE but it's so old and not on this computer, I don't know if I'll get the same results.  But I know PSE used to limit you to what you can change.

20 minutes ago, angleigh said:

Hope that all makes sense.  Styles you can usually do alot with...because there's so many more tips out there, these are just a few.  @MariJ  I"m going to send you my neon style, because I know it has the color overlay built in.  Try it in PSE and see what happens.  I have a version of PSE but it's so old and not on this computer, I don't know if I'll get the same results.  But I know PSE used to limit you to what you can change.

Angie, this is SO very interesting, thanks for explaining it all here, it gives me sort of a birds-eye view into how things are designed and put together, which I always wonder about.

And, thank you for your kindness   I received your style but I an actually already have it. 😊  The really funny thing is I'm working on a Holiday Lights page for Jumpstart January and I needed a style for lights embellishments and this one was working best - better than the light ones!

I knew how to change the color and size of shadows in Syndee's Shadow Me and an old Starburst one from KVE, but had no idea about color overlay or using hex codes.    Fascinating info, thanks for ALL of this!   I'm off to play with it, funny how I was just trying that style but now I know how to get a more exact color.

So you and everyone can see, this is what it looks like in one your Neon styles when I click the FX in my layers panel.   I never noticed "Glow".  That should be "overlay", is that right?.

THANK YOU, Angie!   @angleigh 

720443048_Screenshot2023-01-12at6_47_14AM.thumb.png.2abcdc87b4d7724ffa40f9cf7e07f557.png

Yeah, it still doesn't look like you can change the main color.  What you could try for this one, is let's say you are using it on a word art.  Type out the word in the color you want it to be, instead of the normal "black" and then apply the style and try changing the glow, stroke.

1 hour ago, angleigh said:

Yeah, it still doesn't look like you can change the main color.  What you could try for this one, is let's say you are using it on a word art.  Type out the word in the color you want it to be, instead of the normal "black" and then apply the style and try changing the glow, stroke.

Actually, I DID change the color, I'm still trying different versions!   I typed out "Holiday Lights Spectacular" and duplicated it.   I did not simplify either layer.
I applied a glitter style to the top layer, then your Neon Styles to the bottom one.   I am still currently trying to change each color and doing it as you explained.   So I can change each of the three green colors in my screen shot above!
I first color pick the color I want and copy the hex code (who knew?).   Then I click on one of the color boxes of the neon style and paste the hex code there.  
I'm still trying all different versions and colors on each of the three different color boxes in your style and changing size, etc too.  And having fun playing! 

Thanks Angie!

3 hours ago, Celestine said:

Maybe this could be turned into a tutorial? That way it could be searchable in that section when people work with these. 

What a fabulous idea!! Good one for the blog! (Inquiring minds, like mine, might want to know how to customize styles)