Weekend Wildcard - Jan. 14, 2023

Celestine

Now that the holiday season is over, I find myself in a reflective mood. My side of the family had a real emotional roller coaster in December -- a sudden death of a family member who was under 30, an aggressive terminal cancer diagnosis for another, one who entered Alzheimer's hospice care, and a major surgery for a fourth family member. I admit, it has been difficult to stay positive in the face of these life changes. However, scrapping soothes me. Right now I need both the focus it takes to put together a layout and the mental escape. 

Many designers in the ScrapGirls Shop have created collections that help us work through trying times. In the Shop's search bar plug in words like sorrow, sadness, illness, and remember, or words like positive, inspire, strength and hope. There you will find an amazing number of kits to help express pain and the encouraging and uplifting phrases that help us through difficult situations. 

Your challenge this weekend is to scrap about a worrisome or sad time or about what helped you have hope and cope. You can be as vague or as specific as you wish. Tell us a story or simply use a phrase, utilize a photo or not, it is up to you. None of us is immune to these trials in life, and sharing helps. We all need a little comfort and healing from time to time.

Post your layout in the Weekend Wildcard Gallery and don't forget to include a link in the January Challenge Chase

I knew you had a busy month, but I noticed you weren't here as often and hoped all was well.   I am so very sorry to hear of all the heartaches your family experienced in one short month, that's a lot of big sadness to live through.  You wrote so beautifully about the pain of life and how scrapping is so often a balm, a distraction and a way to get away from it all.  Sending hugs and thoughts for you and yours to get through these times with the strength of each other and the memories you share. 💜
Thanks for a very introspective challenge...   @Celestine

This is quite an interesting challenge. I look forward to seeing everyone take on this one.

I hope there is "Light at the end of the tunnel" for you very soon.

Here is my page

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words, @MariJ. I have traveled to help care for my aunt (cancer) and my uncle (Alzheimer's), so touching base with ScrapGirls is more intermittent. Finding some time each day to scrap or be on the Forum helps balance me, and this is such a great, supportive community. You are right that scrapping is a balm, and I hope others experience it in this way as well.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Celestine said:

Thanks for the kind words, @MariJ. I have traveled to help care for my aunt (cancer) and my uncle (Alzheimer's), so touching base with ScrapGirls is more intermittent. Finding some time each day to scrap or be on the Forum helps balance me, and this is such a great, supportive community. You are right that scrapping is a balm, and I hope others experience it in this way as well.

I do understand as it has been that way for me, sometimes a touchstone to another reality aside from the difficult sadness you are immersed in...  

• Like 1

@Celestine, wow - what a December! My heart goes out to you & your family. Yes, making scrapbook layouts is most definitely a great way to work through all the emotions you are feeling. Sad or happy, no matter. Digi scrapping (any kind of creating) has what you need to work through your feelings. I'm sending you lots of love and hugs and hopes that all will be well with your Aunt & your Uncle, and for healing & peace for your family.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, A-M said:

Thank you Celestine for this challenge as it was good scrap therapy for me:  Sad Event

I am comforted that you found this challenge to be a good scrap therapy for you, Anne-Marie. I went round and round, deciding if I should post a challenge that delved into the sadder sides of our lives. Usually scrapping is cheerful and about the happy moments, but I think scrapping about our difficulties also helps us work through situations and emotions and brings us peace as well.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Celestine said:

I am comforted that you found this challenge to be a good scrap therapy for you, Anne-Marie. I went round and round, deciding if I should post a challenge that delved into the sadder sides of our lives. Usually scrapping is cheerful and about the happy moments, but I think scrapping about our difficulties also helps us work through situations and emotions and brings us peace as well.

The first time I created an "emotional" page years ago I remember cringing and wanting to delete it, but as always ScrapGirls came through with their support and understanding so that along with the therapy of scrapping itself, their comments helped my feelings.
I really do believe that scrapping is about preserving memories but that just as importantly it is about us and our lives, which are not always so "pretty" as real lives often aren't.  Heartache and difficulties are so much a part of life and you gave us a platform to express them in this challenge.  You took a risk and as always ScrapGirls responded.  We are so very fortunate to be a part of this wonderfully kind, safe and supportive community, unlike any other I've ever seen or been a part of - online or in person.  Thanks for 'stretching' this weekend and giving a lot of us and yourself a chance to delve back, remember or just scrap it all out.  It's very much appreciated and so needed at times.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mimes1 said:

HERE is mine. @Celestine this really is a super challenge. You've given us permission to dig deep and get some hard stuff out creatively. I needed this therapy tonight too. Scrapping really is my rest and relaxation and helps bring balance to my thoughts. 

I am glad you find scrapping a balm as well!

6 hours ago, MariJ said:

The first time I created an "emotional" page years ago I remember cringing and wanting to delete it, but as always ScrapGirls came through with their support and understanding so that along with the therapy of scrapping itself, their comments helped my feelings.
I really do believe that scrapping is about preserving memories but that just as importantly it is about us and our lives, which are not always so "pretty" as real lives often aren't.  Heartache and difficulties are so much a part of life and you gave us a platform to express them in this challenge.  You took a risk and as always ScrapGirls responded.  We are so very fortunate to be a part of this wonderfully kind, safe and supportive community, unlike any other I've ever seen or been a part of - online or in person.  Thanks for 'stretching' this weekend and giving a lot of us and yourself a chance to delve back, remember or just scrap it all out.  It's very much appreciated and so needed at times.  

Marilyn, you are so eloquent in your response here. I am so happy to be part of this incredible community, and your kind comments and thoughtfulness are a big part of that. Thanks to you. Hugs.

• Like 1