Custom Mask and Blending

Boatlady

Most of my tutorial is about making a custom mask that you can be blended into your background.

How to make custom mask;

Custom masks and blending is easier than you might think. I use PSE2021 but this will work with PS too.

So I'll start with making a mask. In the DRAW tool section on the left. Select a brush that you like. I have many that I have downloaded will stick to ones from our designers. Pick a brush you want to use. I will use Brandy's Erosion masks and Sydnees' Collaged. However what I usually use are grunge and watercolor masks that I have collected over the years.

Link https://store.scrapgirls.com/Brush-Set-Erosion-Biggie.html

Link-https://store.scrapgirls.com/Brush-Set-Collaged.html

On a new layer use black or grey to make your mask, black makes the most intense mask , grays lighter. .If you want to erase use erase brush over the area you want to erase. Use bracket keys to adjust the brush size, or use the slider in the brush tool settings. You can also adjust opacity and rotate some brushes in the brush settings.  You can add more masks and paper layers  to get great effects for backgrounds

DSD-mask-1.thumb.jpg.93e3bd265446419cb4b0e60257a8e28a.jpg
 Add a paper layer over the mask, highlight it then right click to “create clipping mask”- highlight paper and
mask layer , right click “merge layers.

DSD-Mask-3.thumb.jpg.3047817ad1b9538d02ecbbc10d761797.jpg
Congrats you just made a custom mask.

Now if you want to blend it --highlight the merged mask/paper layer. At top of  layers panel is a block --”normal” with an arrow, when you click on it
lots of choices appear I usually scroll down till I get the effect I like.

430669907_DSDmask3.thumb.jpg.2b85f334dcacaf33fc57eb2cf2d9143b.jpg

That is pretty much it. So now make a custom mask background for you page and post it.

Here is my simple masked page.

Here is another mask/blend page.

Happy scrapping

There will be a prize awarded for each challenge, but those who complete all four challenges and post then in the Digital Scrapbook Day 2023 Gallery by midnight Sunday, October 8th will be entered into a drawing for a $20.00 Design Shop Gift Certificate.  After you post your challenge layout, please add a link to it in the thread below and tell us how you altered your embellishment(s). Happy Digital Scrapbooking Day!

24 minutes ago, MariJ said:

This is awesome, Debby!  I've always admired your masks so was happy to learn how to do it myself.  
I even had Brandy's brushes already!
Here's mine:

Flamingos 

Awesome..your page is stunning.

Here is Bath Brush. I created the waterfall brush using the same pattern but in different sizes and opacities. I then duplicated and layered it. One layer is blue and the other is filled with the same damask pattern paper as on the right side. That has reduced opacity to blend a little. I've made very few masks, and this was the first one where I used a preset brush in PSE. All but the framed photo cluster is layered under the blended gesso paper.

14 hours ago, Celestine said:

Here is Bath Brush. I created the waterfall brush using the same pattern but in different sizes and opacities. I then duplicated and layered it. One layer is blue and the other is filled with the same damask pattern paper as on the right side. That has reduced opacity to blend a little. I've made very few masks, and this was the first one where I used a preset brush in PSE. All but the framed photo cluster is layered under the blended gesso paper.

Thanks for explaining how you did this, it really came out great and looks so good!

• Like 1