Tuesday Challenge - Nov. 7, 2023

Celestine

Veteran's Day is at the end of this week in the United States, and this federal holiday always makes me mindful of important events in our history and the sacrifice so many have made to our country. Your challenge this week is to scrap about an important historical person, place or event in YOUR country or community. Feel free to scrap only about that place, person or event, or interpret it through a visit you or your family have made, or scrap about how you, a family member or friend contributed to important historical events. 

Place your layout in the Weekly Newsletter Challenge Gallery, and then link in the thread below. Don't forget to place a note in the November Challenge Chase thread in order to accumulate toward a 25% off ScrapGirls Shop coupon!

For my layout, Sixth Floor Museum, I scrapped about an event that happened on Nov. 22, 1963. This past August, we visited the museum and location in Dallas where JFK was assassinated nearly 60 years ago. It was a somber and educational visit.

• Like 1

This was a shocking event for our state.  Governor Mickelson was a very popular governor.  He was very down to earth and a family man.  He spent summers in the area where we lived and was so approachable.  He was governor when my husband and his reserve unit went overseas during Operation Desert Storm and came to the reserve unit to meet the men and their families and gave a speech sending them off and telling them how proud he was of them.  The local anchor man struggled to report the story as he was shocked and emotional like we all were.  I could have done two pages on this subject.  The crash happened due to a mechanical failure.  This is MINE

We love going into D.C. to see the cherry blossoms in the spring. It's always a guess about when they'll be at their best, but fortunately we live close enough to just pop up for a day trip whenever the weather looks right. So, you ask, how is this history? The flowering cherries were originally a gift from Japan to the U.S.; I'm going to count that as a historical event. 
And here's my page