Impossible To Forget - February Discussion Thread!

blueheartscraps

letsdiscuss.jpg.738f603f28cc998194b537a9eb7fc7d7.jpg

Well! I think it's safe to say the lead up to this first book discussion has been quite the exciting event. I am SO glad to see so many of you excited to read along with Chere and I and find some great new stories to love!  It's funny, I spent the first little bit after we posted this new adventure just hoping that someone, anyone, would be interested enough to join us...to seeing my email flood with forum post replies of people grabbing the book and finishing it (long before I had even started it!)...to avoiding that thread like the plague to make sure I didn't get any spoilers before I finished reading, lol! ;)

Below are a few discussion questions, most taken directly from the author's website, to get the discussion of Impossible to Forget started. This is ONLY a start, though. You're welcome to add on any interesting points, pose any questions, or discuss anything else inside the book (Did anyone else ever see Maggie and Leon together?! What about Tiger's real name...and does anyone else think the author missed a great chance to name him Rome/Roman, so that Romany is another nod to Angie's friendship with him?! Do you think Daniel/Jax remained an active part of Romany's life moving forward?!). I'm just trying to get the ball rolling :)

1. When we first meet Maggie and Angie, it’s hard to imagine that they will ever be friends as they are so very different to one another. Why do you think their friendship works?
  2. What at first seems exciting and Bohemian about Tiger’s life starts to tip over into something else. How appealing is a life with no roots? What do you think Tiger is running away from? Why does he stop?
  3. Leon choice of wife surprises Angie and threatens to drive them all apart. What do you think Leon is searching for?
  4. Jax runs a mile when Angie falls pregnant and yet Angie seeks to arrange it so that he and Romany meet. Why do you think she does that?
  5. Have you ever thought about appointing a guardian for someone? What did you take into consideration? How practical do you think Angie’s proposal actually is?
  6. Ultimately, it seems that Angie knew her friends almost better than they knew themselves. Do you think their lives are improved by the end of the book?
  7. On a scale of 1 to 5 stars (with 5 being the greatest), where did this book fall on your rating scale?

I'll dive into my answers over the next day or two (I'm kind of excited to see what some of you think before I give a lot of my opinions), I can't wait to hear what you all thought of the book!

• blueheartscraps changed the title to Impossible To Forget - February Discussion Thread!

does anyone else think the author missed a great chance to name him Rome/Roman, so that Romany is another nod to Angie's friendship with him?! YES! This would have been a great addition. I also would have liked to see why Tiger was such a friend when all he did was use Angie for a place to stay. Do you think Daniel/Jax remained an active part of Romany's life moving forward?!Yes, I do believe the way it ended that she and Jax stayed close. He wasn't a "dad" but he was a good friend who helped guide her future.). I'm just trying to get the ball rolling :)

1. When we first meet Maggie and Angie, it’s hard to imagine that they will ever be friends as they are so very different to one another. Why do you think their friendship works? I have had friends like this before, so different from me that I am amazed we were friends. I think the way the complement each other has led them to being friends forever. The moment Angie breaks down and Maggie is there to comfort her really set their friendship. The vulnerability  shown   and Maggies compassion was so beautiful.
  2. What at first seems exciting and Bohemian about Tiger’s life starts to tip over into something else. How appealing is a life with no roots? What do you think Tiger is running away from? Why does he stop? Oooohhhh this is a good one.  Tiger I believe was running from bad family relations and as long as he didn't sit still no one could find him.  I dont believe he knew what was missing in his life until Angie made him stay still and learn what family can offer. I think Angie knew what he needed in his life and once he experienced his peace living in one place he knew his travel days were over and he didn't need to run anymore. Family isn't always genetic. 
  3. Leon choice of wife surprises Angie and threatens to drive them all apart. What do you think Leon is searching for? Perfection. Leon needed to follow the script that was set for his life and didn't have the strength to fight for what he wanted. And when Maggie was unavailable he went with the script.
  4. Jax runs a mile when Angie falls pregnant and yet Angie seeks to arrange it so that he and Romany meet. Why do you think she does that? As a mom, we want the best for our kids. I believe once she knew Hope, and saw Jax had grown up and made the commitment to a long term relation, she knew Jax was ready to have a relation with Romany. Before he wasn't ready but once he went with his given name and committed too Hope, Angie knew he was ready.
  5. Have you ever thought about appointing a guardian for someone? What did you take into consideration? How practical do you think Angie’s proposal actually is? I do and have made arrangements  for guardianship for my kids. I really took into account the person, their beliefs and were they similar to mine. Did I believe they would love my children as their own or are they going to just "obligated" raise them.  Would they follow my wishes or ignore them.  I do not believe Angie's plan would work in the real world. Too many people cant truly come together and make things work.  It was a beautiful story but it only worked since it was a fairy tale.
  6. Ultimately, it seems that Angie knew her friends almost better than they knew themselves. Do you think their lives are improved by the end of the book? yes, they were improved. Angie knew what they needed and was able to provide that by making them care for Romany in different ways. Again I only think it works because its a fairy tale and not reality. No-one followed the script that well and does what Angie thinks they need to do.
  7. On a scale of 1 to 5 stars (with 5 being the greatest), where did this book fall on your rating scale? I say 6 out of 5. Was a great story and I really enjoyed it immensely. I cried, I laughed and that makes a great book in my opinion.

Did anyone else ever see Maggie and Leon together?! I kind of thought Leon carried a torch for Maggie, but I wasn't sure when he married someone else. What about Tiger's real name...and does anyone else think the author missed a great chance to name him Rome/Roman, so that Romany is another nod to Angie's friendship with him?! I'm not so sure about this one. I think they had enough tying them together. Do you think Daniel/Jax remained an active part of Romany's life moving forward?! I absolutely do think he remained in her life. What a lovely story about forgiveness there.

1. When we first meet Maggie and Angie, it’s hard to imagine that they will ever be friends as they are so very different to one another. Why do you think their friendship works? I think it worked because they were so different. I have good friends who are way different from me. It's like they provide something I lack.
  2. What at first seems exciting and Bohemian about Tiger’s life starts to tip over into something else. How appealing is a life with no roots? What do you think Tiger is running away from? Why does he stop? I don't find a life without roots appealing at all. I'm all about feeling secure, and that is not a secure life. He could definitely be running away from family issues. That would be my guess, too. He stops because Angie gave him an opportunity to see what he was missing, and he learns there is value in staying one place- he makes a new family. And family isn't always about blood relations.
  3. Leon choice of wife surprises Angie and threatens to drive them all apart. What do you think Leon is searching for? I think Leon is looking for the kind of stability he sees in Maggie, and just settles for Becky. Maybe, like Angie, he didn't have the best childhood.
  4. Jax runs a mile when Angie falls pregnant and yet Angie seeks to arrange it so that he and Romany meet. Why do you think she does that? Of course Angie is playing God a bit, but I think she genuinely wants what's best for Romany and Jax/Daniel. And she left the choice to them whether they wanted to carry on or not. I think it will turn into a mutually beneficial relationship.
  5. Have you ever thought about appointing a guardian for someone? What did you take into consideration? How practical do you think Angie’s proposal actually is? I have, and though my husband and I still live, those guardians have had a positive effect on my grown children. We wanted someone close to us, with the same values and ages of children. I don't think her proposal is practical at all. There was nothing legal to bind them, though they would feel obligated to do something since she was their friend.
  6. Ultimately, it seems that Angie knew her friends almost better than they knew themselves. Do you think their lives are improved by the end of the book? Yes, I think their lives are improved. They all got what they didn't know what they needed.
  7. On a scale of 1 to 5 stars (with 5 being the greatest), where did this book fall on your rating scale? 5/5 stars. I really enjoyed this one. Great choice, ladies!
  • Like 1

1. When we first meet Maggie and Angie, it’s hard to imagine that they will ever be friends as they are so very different to one another. Why do you think their friendship works? I guess they are complimentary characters, each fulfilling a missing "bit" in the other's personality. Also when people are thrown together and survive a major life event, such as studying for a degree, then the bonds that form are stronger than they might otherwise be.
  2. What at first seems exciting and Bohemian about Tiger’s life starts to tip over into something else. How appealing is a life with no roots? What do you think Tiger is running away from? Why does he stop? Not appealing to me one little bit! I'm not convinced that Tiger will settle down and continue baking profiteroles once Romany has gone to uni. (although Jax/Daniel went from eco-warrior to restaurant owner)!
  3. Leon choice of wife surprises Angie and threatens to drive them all apart. What do you think Leon is searching for? Safety I would say. He doesn't appear to be a very confident person, certainly not compared with angie and Maggie. Becky certainly "wears the trousers" in the relationship.
  4. Jax runs a mile when Angie falls pregnant and yet Angie seeks to arrange it so that he and Romany meet. Why do you think she does that? I struggled with this at first. Obviously the plot is building to this and the revelation that Daniel was Jax was no surprise. Personally I think Angie was taking a chance, especially with Romany being at such a crucial stage in her life - but this is a novel and we all like happy endings.
  5. Have you ever thought about appointing a guardian for someone? What did you take into consideration? How practical do you think Angie’s proposal actually is? We did think about it when our children were young but never took any practical steps. I would have appointed my brother and sister in law and their children are roughly the same ages as mine and I consider them good an loving parents to their own children. It's a diferent matter looking after someone else's children though. Not everyone is cut out for it. With regards to the Romany/Tiger situation I think it highly improbable and impractical. Especially putting Romany in the care of an unmarried male wanderer with no history of being committed to anywhere or anybody. I would have chosen Maggie.
  6. Ultimately, it seems that Angie knew her friends almost better than they knew themselves. Do you think their lives are improved by the end of the book? It's a bit of a fairytale ending I guess. I can't see Maggie and Leon staying together now that she has returned to the law and Leon has rediscovered his musical talent. tiger has discovered domestic security but without the day to day care of Romany, I think his feet might begin to itch. Hope comes off worst - her boyfriend suddenly has a teenage child and although theirs is a fairly open and relaxed relationship, I'm not sure she and Daniel can come through unscathed.
  7. On a scale of 1 to 5 stars (with 5 being the greatest), where did this book fall on your rating scale? I liked the book a lot for its depiction of college life. Sitting in the corridors in halls of residence drinking coffee could have been me in the early 1970s! I enjoyed imagining the characters moving about in cities I know quite well - Leeds, York and Durham. For me the book began to go a bit flat until the introduction of Hope and Daniel. I'm glad the author didn't dwell on angie's illness and death which she might have done. The ending was predicatable however. I give star ratings to all the books I read and I'm choosy about what I give 5 stars to. I think probably 3/5 just because I thought some of it improbable.

I'm looking forward to your next choice!

• Like 1

Lots of questions!  I will return later and have a go at answering them. 

• Like 1

(Did anyone else ever see Maggie and Leon together?! What about Tiger's real name...and does anyone else think the author missed a great chance to name him Rome/Roman, so that Romany is another nod to Angie's friendship with him?! Do you think Daniel/Jax remained an active part of Romany's life moving forward?!). 

Maggie and Leon at college reminded me of my daughter and her friend Silas who became like a brother to her at High School but when they were older tried to have a romantic relationship but it did not work.  So I did not expect Maggie and Leon  to end up together.

When Tiger shared his real name I was sort of hoping it would be something like Roman. Also my thoughts at one time was that Tiger would end up being Romany's real father. 

Daniel/Jax, I feel would have become part of Romany's life along with Hope who was not going to have children but I think in the end would enjoy a female in her home life. 

1. When we first meet Maggie and Angie, it’s hard to imagine that they will ever be friends as they are so very different to one another. Why do you think their friendship works?      In real life opposites attract as they compliment each other so it was not difficult to watch that friendship grow. 
  2. What at first seems exciting and Bohemian about Tiger’s life starts to tip over into something else. How appealing is a life with no roots? What do you think Tiger is running away from? Why does he stop?  Tiger's lifestyle of roaming around the world does not appeal to me as I need a HOME. I wish it had been shared in the story but I feel Tiger had some bad family experience in his younger years that caused him to not want to settle somewhere.  I was so pleased how his settling down with Romany eventuated. 
  3. Leon choice of wife surprises Angie and threatens to drive them all apart. What do you think Leon is searching for?  I am not sure what attracted Leon to his wife but men's thinking is not an easy one to fathom. Leon was always wanting a normal average home lifestyle which he had with his wife but she was not the right one for him. 
  4. Jax runs a mile when Angie falls pregnant and yet Angie seeks to arrange it so that he and Romany meet. Why do you think she does that?  I was a single mother due to a date rape and I can see how Angie felt a need for Romany to meet Jax as he was a good man but not the right one for Angie. Like my own personal life, a wrong relationship does not make for a good father for your child. The child is better off with no father.   Angie and Jax had a very bad relationship - no commitment from either of them. I think Angie might have wanted that but Jax did not. 
  5. Have you ever thought about appointing a guardian for someone? What did you take into consideration? How practical do you think Angie’s proposal actually is? I have never thought of appointing a guardian for anyone.  Angie's proposal at first seemed impractical but eventually we all discovered why she did it. 
  6. Ultimately, it seems that Angie knew her friends almost better than they knew themselves. Do you think their lives are improved by the end of the book? Angie was a true friend to them all and her love for them overflowed in the way she brought her daughter up.  All their lives were affected positively because of Angie's request.  Maggie would have ended up back working in law which was her true passion. Leon would have continued to play his music in public for others to enjoy. Tiger was settling down to live a home life with Romany.  Hope was the one for relationships and she in the end became a step-mother to Romany so in the years to come possibly would eventually become a Grandmother. 
  7. On a scale of 1 to 5 stars (with 5 being the greatest), where did this book fall on your rating scale? On my kindle I gave a rating of 4 stars but it was possibly more 3 and a half.  It was an easy reading book but not one that made me not want to  put it down.  It was easy to  just read a chapter or two at a time and pick it up another day. 

I tried to make all my replies in purple but at #4 something went crazy and it would not let me do it in purple. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Did anyone love the book enough to get more by the author? I have a series I'm in the middle of but I did put more books by this author in my wishlist. 

• Like 1

1. When we first meet Maggie and Angie, it’s hard to imagine that they will ever be friends as they are so very different to one another. Why do you think their friendship works?  I'd say opposites attract as well as complement one another.
  2. What at first seems exciting and Bohemian about Tiger’s life starts to tip over into something else. How appealing is a life with no roots? What do you think Tiger is running away from? Why does he stop? An unrooted life wouldn't be something I'd enjoy but it makes for good character development. I think maybe bad family or personal relationships. I'd guess it gets exhausting after awhile and the alternative becomes appealing. Plus his relationship with Romany would move him toward setting down.
  3. Leon choice of wife surprises Angie and threatens to drive them all apart. What do you think Leon is searching for? He felt he was working from a script and marrying Angie was the right way to go.
  4. Jax runs a mile when Angie falls pregnant and yet Angie seeks to arrange it so that he and Romany meet. Why do you think she does that? Sometimes people don't know what's best for them. Romany could make her own decision closer to adulthood if given the opportunity.
  5. Have you ever thought about appointing a guardian for someone? What did you take into consideration? How practical do you think Angie’s proposal actually is? Yes I have but it seemed impractical to me. You need the $$ to manage it typically as a guardian is paid. This situation is different as everyone is a friend of Angie's.
  6. Ultimately, it seems that Angie knew her friends almost better than they knew themselves. Do you think their lives are improved by the end of the book? yes- with age comes wisdom.
  7. On a scale of 1 to 5 stars (with 5 being the greatest), where did this book fall on your rating scale? I'm going to differ from the group probably and I thought it might be because of my age but I would say around a 2 maybe I could stretch it to a 3. It seemed a bit predictable- what are the chances and I thought the characters could be more developed. I did check the rating on Goodreads and it's greater than 4 which is good because I always promise myself I can't bother with anything less lol. I really appreciate you both taking the time to start a reading group and come up with the thoughtful questions. I'm interested to see what the others have written and to challenge myself to read something I might not have otherwise. I think this would make a great movie by the way. 
  • Like 1

I want to start by saying I was surprised by the format of the story. I thought it would start with Angie's death and move the story forward. I did enjoy the fact that we went back in time to learn about the players first. I identified most with Maggie, probably because of her career choice and need for a plan/organization. There is no way I could have handled the way Angie lived her life...I need direction and planning, lol!

1. When we first meet Maggie and Angie, it’s hard to imagine that they will ever be friends as they are so very different to one another. Why do you think their friendship works? I think they are like Ying and Yang, complimenting each other. Maggie provides the stability for Angie while Angie provides Maggie a chance to let loose.
  2. What at first seems exciting and Bohemian about Tiger’s life starts to tip over into something else. How appealing is a life with no roots? What do you think Tiger is running away from? Why does he stop? I wish the author had dug into Tiger's life a little deeper to answer these questions. I think he is putting down roots so he has something to show for his life, like Angie had Romany.
  3. Leon choice of wife surprises Angie and threatens to drive them all apart. What do you think Leon is searching for? I didn't like Becky from the start. I think Leon was searching for the dream life:  a wife, kids, picket fence, etc. Probably something he saw growing up, either his parents' marriage or another family member's marriage.
  4. Jax runs a mile when Angie falls pregnant and yet Angie seeks to arrange it so that he and Romany meet. Why do you think she does that? Angie probably wanted to give Romany the option to meet her father and have a relationship with him if she wanted to. It was a weird way for that to work out, but it was interesting.
  5. Have you ever thought about appointing a guardian for someone? What did you take into consideration? How practical do you think Angie’s proposal actually is? Our kids are no longer minors, but we appointed a family member to care for them if we passed before they were legal. Then we changed our wills again so that our oldest would be responsible for the younger one (they are only 2 years apart). I would never have appointed multiple people...that's just asking for chaos and control issues...at least in my mind it would.
  6. Ultimately, it seems that Angie knew her friends almost better than they knew themselves. Do you think their lives are improved by the end of the book? I think Angie's friends were working on improving themselves thanks to Angie's wishes. Maggie was in a relationship and finding her place back in the legal world while Tiger was finding some roots. Leon was back to playing his sax and Hope...I think she was just there for the Daniel aspect.
  7. On a scale of 1 to 5 stars (with 5 being the greatest), where did this book fall on your rating scale? I don't like to rate books, but if I must, I would say a 3. Mostly because Angie's carefree outlook on life rubbed me the wrong way. I honestly don't think I could have been friends with her, lol! But the book was well written, even if some of it was predictable, and I felt invested to see how Angie died and how the arrangement worked.

I'm excited to see the next book selection!

I finished the book awhile ago but haven't had the energy to add my 2 cents worth.

#1. I think sometimes in life we are put in situations with people and you just have to find a way to make it work. Angie has an in-your-face kind of personality and doesn't really care what others think. Maggie on the hand comes across as kind and caring. So somehow they seem to find a way to get along and balance each other out. Though in the beginning Angie is quite rude and I personally don't think I could find a way to get along with her.

#2 Perhaps Tiger isn't running away from something but running towards something? Maybe he's looking for something that he thinks is missing in his life. Just a thought. I think it would be fun to travel to lots of places. I follow some van-lifers on Instagram and would love to be able to travel all around the country and work remotely. I'm an introvert so that appeals to me.

#3 Leon has this preconceived idea of how his life should be, most likely what was considered acceptable to his parents/upbring. The appropriate job, wife, even where they lived. Playing the sax was not an option to him from his parents views.

#4 Even though Angie and Jax/Daniel aren't together, he is still Romany's father for better or worse. Angie knew she was dying and wanting Romany to have some sort of family if she chose.

#5 When our daughters were young we put in our wills that one of Rick's brothers would take care of them if something happened. We discussed it with him before. I don't think just appointing people guardians without discussing it with them is not a good idea however well intended it might seem. Even really good friends don't know everything about each other and I think it's rude to assume someone can take on task as big as taking responsibility of someone's child without the prior knowledge.

#6 Sure everyone appears to have better lives with some help from Angie's plans.

#7 I don't like to rate books either. I will say I enjoyed the book and just might look into other books by this author.

1. When we first meet Maggie and Angie, it’s hard to imagine that they will ever be friends as they are so very different to one another. Why do you think their friendship works? I remember when I started my nursing training and the girls living next to me in the nurses home, we were all different and from different backgrounds and we became firm friends. We went on to flat together in our 2nd year and became even closer although now we are scattered over the globe. I think their friendship lasted because they complemented each other and were not competing with each other.
  2. What at first seems exciting and Bohemian about Tiger’s life starts to tip over into something else. How appealing is a life with no roots? What do you think Tiger is running away from? Why does he stop? Tiger is possibly running away from a bad childhood or even seeing his parents divorce so he isn't going to get close to another person and have his heart broken. He stops because he finds the others love him for who he is and Angie has given him the roots he needs.
  3. Leon choice of wife surprises Angie and threatens to drive them all apart. What do you think Leon is searching for? Love and security within a family like his parents had.
  4. Jax runs a mile when Angie falls pregnant and yet Angie seeks to arrange it so that he and Romany meet. Why do you think she does that? She knew she was ill but I think deep down she knew Romany needed to know her father and his heritage even if she said she didn't.
  5. Have you ever thought about appointing a guardian for someone? What did you take into consideration? How practical do you think Angie’s proposal actually is? Yes we had guardians for our kids when under 21yrs and they were good friends who had the same beliefs as us who already had older kids so there wouldn't be the competition between them and my kids loved this family 
  6. Ultimately, it seems that Angie knew her friends almost better than they knew themselves. Do you think their lives are improved by the end of the book? Most certainly their lives improved dramatically its a shame it can't be that good in real life :) 
  7. On a scale of 1 to 5 stars (with 5 being the greatest), where did this book fall on your rating scale. I'm another who doesn't like rating books but I enjoyed it very much and I will look for this author again. If I had to rate it probably a 4/5 as I never give top marks as I think there is always room for improvement.

Dropping in just to say I’m in the middle of the book.  It’s really good.  I usually only read at night in bed, but that’s dangerous with a good book - I stay awake way too late!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mikelle said:

Dropping in just to say I’m in the middle of the book.  It’s really good.  I usually only read at night in bed, but that’s dangerous with a good book - I stay awake way too late!

*yawn* 🥱 I understand that ALL. TOO. WELL. :reading:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mikelle said:

I can't read at night. I will never go to sleep if I do that!