Alphas

My question is about alpha's.  When I have purchased a kit or biggie kit, I typically will get one or two Alpha packages.  I'd like to use them more, however pulling each letter of what I need and then sizing, moving them seems like a pain.  I feel like I must be missing something for an easier way to use these.  Can someone direct me? 

Hi Niki, I like alphas but agree they are difficult and time consuming to use.   I work in PSE and what I do is to put the letters I need into the program and then highlight each letter so they are activated, then resize them all at the same time so (hopefully) they will all be the same time.
I used the move tool to place them where I want but yes, one at a time is painful!   

Like you, I'm interested if there is an easier, better way to do this!

I do what Marilyn does, but use PSCC 2024. Sometimes I'll drag all the letters onto an altogether new document by themselves, orient them to one another as desired, then collapse them all into one layer. Then put them onto the working document and size it all as one layer wherever you want. Yes, it can be tedious. I avoided alphas altogether for alot of years for exactly this reason. But play around with your work flow and find what works for you. In time I promise you'll be comfortable and learn to love your alpha collection. 

Use both the techniques above. I use to stress about getting the letters all the same size. But, I have learned that the small differences in size and alignment makes the word more interesting. After all when we write we don't make the letters all the same. I sometimes like to make the letters obviously different sizes and orientations.

I do the same as everyone above in placing the alphas one at a time onto my page.  It is not too time consuming unless you have a large title. sometimes it is fun to mix fonts with an alpha for titles that have a few words in them. 

Some designers have a full sheet of alphas which I like as I find it slightly easier - because you have your page open and the sheet of alphas - ( depending on software) - use marquee tool around the letter you want - copy and then paste onto your page. When you paste them this way they all stack on top of each other then it is easier to choose them all and resize at the same time. 

6 hours ago, scrapgarden said:

Use both the techniques above. I use to stress about getting the letters all the same size. But, I have learned that the small differences in size and alignment makes the word more interesting. After all when we write we don't make the letters all the same. I sometimes like to make the letters obviously different sizes and orientations.

That's such a good point, that when we write the letters aren't always the same size!

Like Lynne, I will sometimes make my title with letters purposely one going up, the next one down a bit - some maybe even tilted a little so it doesn't matter if they are exactly straight and I like how it looks.  But, if I do want them to be exactly straight I open the grid in PSE and line them up on a line, then click on all letters together and move them where I want to.   Whenever I do have the letters how I want them I will "link" them together by highlighting all the letters and clicking the link in the layers panel.   One click will link them all!

Another tip I thought of is if you play around when in the Move tool - highlight all layers and in the "Align" spot, click on top or bottom and they will be lined up.  I hope I described that correctly - anyone, chime in!  😄

Thank you all, glad to hear I wasn't the only one struggling with those.  Most of my Alphas have been moved to a folder and go unused.  MariJ 's tip about the MOVE tool however is super helpful!  I tried that and I liked how it worked.  Appreciate everyone's help.

• Like 1

I use PSE - I will sometimes make my title in a separate ping file where I have control over spacing or sizing them all the same or just a little off. Then I add the ping file to my layout and it's easy to resize as a whole or tilt or move.  I find it easier than trying to link the files together. I feel like I save time in the long run.