Making The Switch

chickypow

so here I sit, staring at the box for PSCS....I'm excited but nervous....I just picked it up from my brother on the weekend and havn't installed it yet....how stupid to be so intimidated by SOFTWARE!!!

I'm wondering if I should keep PSE5 on my PC for a bit? I'm worried about disc space, I have 29.5 GB free of disc space left and am worried about whether my PC will run super slow if I keep them both on there?

I can't answer your disc space question, but I can tell you that you will love PSCS2!! I just upgraded last November. I've had PS7 since 2002 and I d/l the trial for CS2 in Nov last year and the first day I knew I had to have it. If you need any help using it feel free to PM and I will try and answer questions when I can! Good luck and have fun!! :dancing-smilie:

Congrats on your new PSCS! Im nervous also to learn new software sometimes.. Im still sitting on buying PSPX.. I want to place the order in Feb. :) I dont know about the disc space but I cant see it making your computer slow unless PSE is running in the background when your using PSCS but Im not sure..

Tracy - thanks so much for the offer, I'm sure you'll get a few PM's from me....hah. I'm hoping the trasnition goes smoooth. I'm trying to clear some disk space up just to be sure by burning a bunch of stuff to DVD...fingers crossed.

Jen - your looking to switch to PSP? ooohhhh....thats even scarier as it's so different! *grin* You'll do great though!

Guest Sharebear57
Same here! I am so jealous, I wish I could afford PSCS (or better yet, have someone give it to me :) )

For Christmas, I got PSE5 and some money, and I thought maybe I could exchange it. So I called Best Buy just to see how much PSCS actually was, and the guy told me $169. I almost fainted! I must've asked if he was SURE a hundred times. Then we get there, and I am all excited and I have the guy get it for me, and it was the Upgrade. Talk about disappointing! So, I kept my PSE5.

But, once I opened my PSE5, I loved it. It is so much better than PSE4! So, I am happy with what I got, but I still hope to get PSCS someday...

Jennifer, if you do get PSPX, you will have to let me know how it compares with PSE5.

Guest bellagirl
[quote name='Sharebear57' post='91722' date='Jan 29 2007, 08:56 AM']Same here! I am so jealous, I wish I could afford PSCS (or better yet, have someone give it to me :) )

For Christmas, I got PSE5 and some money, and I thought maybe I could exchange it. So I called Best Buy just to see how much PSCS actually was, and the guy told me $169. I almost fainted! I must've asked if he was SURE a hundred times. Then we get there, and I am all excited and I have the guy get it for me, and it was the Upgrade. Talk about disappointing! So, I kept my PSE5.

But, once I opened my PSE5, I loved it. It is so much better than PSE4! So, I am happy with what I got, but I still hope to get PSCS someday...

Jennifer, if you do get PSPX, you will have to let me know how it compares with PSE5.[/quote]

OMG I did the same thing. lol My daughter is a student and she is going to buy PSCS2 for me when I get back from vacation in March. It will save me several hundred dollars. Iove PSE5, but always looking on the other side of the fence, gotta stop that, it gets expensive. <_<

Yay Erin - getting ps is so exciting!

I have pse4 & pscs2 on my computer, and only 1GB of RAM. Saturday I had both those programs open as well as word and the chat, and it all worked fine. I have to say though, I do have all of my graphics on an external HD (with cd backup ;) ).

Have fun playing!

Guest DarleneH
Ladies, here's a tip... keep watching the Adobe website on a regular basis. Because they just came out with a new version of Photoshop, they greatly reduced the price of CS2. I picked it up for approx. $300 - still not cheap, but way more affordable than the $700-$800 full price range.

But for the most part, Elements is just fine for regular scrapbooking. It has a ton of capabilities! The CS2 is better if you're interested in designing...

I gotta tell you guys, I do all my designing on PSE 3 still. I got CS2 and have been intimidated by it. Not to mention that I don't like the fact that it lacks a photo bin. I use that feature constantly and I hate the way CS2 has everything stacked up so I can't find what I'm looking for. I wish I could look over the shoulder of someone who uses CS2 and see how they use it. Anyway, Erin, I totally understand being scared of software. Believe it or not, I am not intuitive about computers and the new stuff freaks me out. LOL

Guest sfcgijill
I like the photo bin thingy too! Sure do wish they would do one program with the capabilities for actions and plugins and whatnot like PSCS and all the convenient stuff like the photobin and pulldown previews of layerstyles that's in PSE.

I'm sure once I learn it's capabilities, it will be superior to PSE, at least for design work. As far as for general scrapping, I'm not sure that it's worth the investment. But I should reserve judgement until I........know how to use it. LOL

[quote name='Ursula' post='92890' date='Jan 31 2007, 10:10 AM']I gotta tell you guys, I do all my designing on PSE 3 still. I got CS2 and have been intimidated by it. Not to mention that I don't like the fact that it lacks a photo bin. I use that feature constantly and I hate the way CS2 has everything stacked up so I can't find what I'm looking for. I wish I could look over the shoulder of someone who uses CS2 and see how they use it. Anyway, Erin, I totally understand being scared of software. Believe it or not, I am not intuitive about computers and the new stuff freaks me out. LOL[/quote]

I'm sooo like that Ursula. I need to watch to get the hang of things. That's why I like Ro's Tutorials.
Erin I did exactly what you are doing and at first I wanted to chuck the whole thing out the window, especially missing the photo bin but because PSCS2 was given to me (sorry Sherri!) I persisited and now I LOVE IT.
I haven't been back in psx for ages. I am really hanging out for Ro's latest tutorials video because the ones I got were for psx and I don't think I can afford to get the ps one she has now and the new one so are just waiting for the new one. If you are able that is probably a good way to help you convert over Erin.
Anyways hope that it all goes well. PM me also if you need some help but sometimes I'm a bit longwinded in explaining things but I'm happy to give it a go.

[quote name='Ursula' post='92890' date='Jan 31 2007, 12:10 PM']I gotta tell you guys, I do all my designing on PSE 3 still. I got CS2 and have been intimidated by it. Not to mention that I don't like the fact that it lacks a photo bin. I use that feature constantly and I hate the way CS2 has everything stacked up so I can't find what I'm looking for. I wish I could look over the shoulder of someone who uses CS2 and see how they use it. Anyway, Erin, I totally understand being scared of software. Believe it or not, I am not intuitive about computers and the new stuff freaks me out. LOL[/quote]

And I'd like to stand over the shoulder of a designer and see how they use PSE! I'd love to design my own stuff!

Wow - where did you get yours for approx $300? It's still $649 on the Adobe site!

[quote name='DarleneH' post='92871' date='Jan 31 2007, 11:38 AM']Ladies, here's a tip... keep watching the Adobe website on a regular basis. Because they just came out with a new version of Photoshop, they greatly reduced the price of CS2. I picked it up for approx. $300 - still not cheap, but way more affordable than the $700-$800 full price range.

But for the most part, Elements is just fine for regular scrapbooking. It has a ton of capabilities! The CS2 is better if you're interested in designing...[/quote]

Okay Erin, I think you and I are in this together. My biological father who I just met last year, came and brought me PSC2 because he knows how I am into digi scrapping. (Bless his heart) I'm scared to even touch it. I'm worried that it will be so above me that I won't even comprehend what I am suppose to do with it. So anyone that has any experience that I have read... I hope you don't mind if I PM you every now and then!

Patti and Erin-

Honestly, I say just GO FOR IT! I started in PSE, but decided after just a few months to bite the bullet and shell out the money for CS2 because I wanted to be able to do more with my own layer styles. I was so excited when I discovered quite by accident (lots of trial and error) how to make gold! Too bad it isn't real... LOL!!! The switchover wasn't bad at all. Most of what you know from PSE is identical in CS2. The menus are a little bit different and the keyboard shortcuts are, but the basics of how it works is pretty much the same. I really didn't have any issues getting used to CS2. I would never go back now... I'm so hooked.

As far as the photo bin goes... it's funny, but I guess there is truth to the expression "Different strokes for different folks." The photo bin was one of the things that drove me crazy about PSE. I couldn't stand it. It was in my way and took up space that I would rather have used to be able to make my layout larger when I needed to work on the whole thing at once rather than on a small section. I was so relieved to see that CS2 didn't have one! Now I stretch my working window right down to the bottom. Other files that I have open (papers, embellishments, photos, etc.) I just shrink their windows and pull them off to the side where I line them up. I don't have an issue with having to grab files from behind other files. I just found a system that works for me. You all will too, so dive in... the water's great! :)

Thanks for the encouraging words Jo! I have messed around a bit with the program and have found a lot of similarities, but when I can't find something I freak... LOL I'm sure it is not going to be a whole bunch different learning this than learning PSE. Although the ol' brain just ain't quite what she use to be :D

Archived