Stitching

You have to understand this is coming from a person that has never sewn. OK, maybe there was that one time in Home Ec. in junior high that I made those pillows...but they did turn out pretty scary.

So tell me, how do you all add stitching to your paper layouts? Do you use a normal sewing machine? Do you use a paper sewing machine or is there such a thing? How much time does it take? If I wanted to incorporate stitching on my paper layouts what would I have to buy and where would I buy it? I don't even know if I could work the machine properly. LOL.

Give me the scoop on stitching.

You need a real machine. But there are paper products that have real stitching on them now, things like tags, so it looks like you did the stitching.

Too bad you aren't closer: I have 3 machines. One my grandma bought for me when I was born (goes forward and backward, your basic Sears Kenmore circa 1955); one my mom bought while we lived in Japan: a portable but all metal so it weighs a ton. She gave it to me so I could do my own button holes and zigzag edges, and finally one I bought for myself----so lovely, that when my mom saw it she went and bought one just like it. I am thrilled to have it, but rarely use it. However it made sewing those vampire costumes a breeze and was worth every penny!

As for stitching: I do it digitally, but it's still hard to capture every nuance perfectly (but I bet Tonya could!)

I own a machine too. I nice Brother embroidery machine that my husband got me when we were married. I mentioned how I wanted to make children's clothes, ah, but the time just slips away. I made my own maternity tops and a few duvet covers with it as well as repairs and such. When I saw folks stiching on scrapbook pages, I just HAD to try it. And now I do it alot.

I have heard that those little portables that Michaels and Joann sell work pretty well, but ALWAYS test your stiches on scrap paper before you sew! That is my advice...

I also have a sewing machine, but I've never used them on paper. I keep thinking I will someday. Mine is an old metal Kenmore that I bought in high school, and it just does straight or zig-zag stitches.

I remember reading this somewhere... If you don't want to invest in a machine, punch holes in your paper with a needle, using graph paper as a guide. Then you can hand stitch the papers. You could also use embroidery floss this way for a different effect.

[quote name='dinny' date='Mar 16 2005, 10:37 AM']I remember reading this somewhere... If you don't want to invest in a machine, punch holes in your paper with a needle, using graph paper as a guide. Then you can hand stitch the papers. You could also use embroidery floss this way for a different effect.
[right][post="6378"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

bwahahaha in my spare time! :huh:

Actually, Theresa, the little machines you can get at Michael's or Joann's are pretty bad. Most people who have them have either thrown them out or taken them back. Unfortunately.

What I found was a Kenmore Mini-Ultra on EBAY. I think they are still being sold there, for hmm, either $40 or $60. I can't remember. I love it. It does 3 different sizes of straight stitches, and 3 different sizes of zig-zag stitches. I use it a lot. It's not exactly portable, but it's small and sits on a table top.

Guest darksunmoon
I got an Omega one I bought at at Wal-Mart
I does many many stiches (around 40) and there are many feet that I just don't know how touse, like the embroidery foot, I tried using it, but it made a whole knotty mess, I gave up until I get time to take lessons to further my knowledge

I do my scrapbooking stiches digitally
you use the - and the _ caracters in a font you like, then you can emboss it or add a bevel and then add a dropshadow and it can look pretty real...

Guest Doxy_Chic
I have a very basic Singer that I got for x-mas just to do simple tasks and make pillows and window coverings. When I saw that people were using sewing machines on there scrapbook pages I just had to try it. Now I also have only ever used a sewing machine in home EC in JR High
so I was so grateful for the manual LOL. I luckly remembered how to thread it and wind the bobbin with help from the manual.
Now ,about using it for lo's and cards , It went very well and fast.
I used the zig zag stitch and practiced first to get the size of stitch , size meaning length and space of stitches. It does become addicting. Also I would recommend having a lot of bobbins wound in all different colors to be prepared. Hope this helps!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mcfrog
I am mad about using my sewing machine on my scrapbook pages, the effect is so cool and isn't one that takes forever to achieve!

I have also found digital stitching (zig-zag) can be really effective and pretty convincing and there are also some gorgeous stitching rub-ons available now.

so, if the thought of getting a sewing machine out again fills you with horror, the same effect can be achieved by other means!!

Karen

I *believe* there's RUB ONs available for the look of stitching, without the hassle. Or maybe it was unveiled at CHA and will be available soon (which means, you know, eventually).

What is it that you say, Betsy? Bwa ha ha

Rub-ons that look like a sewing machine.

There are just somethings that can't be faked. Real sewing is that. To me, it's like fake violins on a CD. I play the violin so I can ALWAYS spot them.

If you've ever done real sewing then you can spot the fake stuff right away. For one thing, it's just not that perfect. Nothing done in real life is....

I've been a sewer all of my life. It was expected (in my generation in my family where I lived) that all female children would learn to sew clothing because they would be mothers someday. (Just like it was expected that I learn to bake, to bottle jam, plant a garden and all of that stuff... It was a matter of honor, sort of, to learn to do those things... I didn't feel picked on. I felt like I was learning time-honored traditions.)

And it was cheaper to sew clothing until Walmart got into the action and changed the world. I used to sew all of my boys clothing (my older two boys). That's all I could afford for them. I made their jeans and everything.

By the time Andrew and Julianne had come along, the world had changed and it was more expensive to sew their clothes. I've only made Julianne one dress and she only wore it once.

So my sewing machine just sat around, gathering dust for years...

Until I started to sew on my scrapbook pages again. I love it.

Mandy - that box I'm making? The top has all kinds of papers layered up with sewing around the edges.

But don't - under any circumstances - buy one of those little craft sewing machine things. They are junk and people that get them hate them. You have to have the real deal.

If you want one, I'd go to yard sales, look on eBay - or even just put out the word. You might be surprised to find out that there are lot of women out there (my age) that aren't scrapbookers that have their sewing machines just sitting around and would love to give them a home for cheaps. Tell people that you'd like a used sewing machine that works... that you don't care if it's old as long as it works. You only need it to do two things well - straight stiches and zig zag stiches. The new ones come with so many bells and whistles that you just don't need.

But you have those little girls.... who knows? You might find it fun to make them some little dresses. It's pretty fun, actually. If you are interested in that kind of thing, you have to have a machine that will make good button holes.

I've had machines that do all of the fancy stuff. Guess how often you use those things (unless that kind of thing fascinates you... )? Almost never.

Okay - now I'm off of my grandma's sewing machine soapbox.

Tee hee

Guest Doxy_Chic
WoW Ro, Is there anything you can't do? I could kick myself for not hanging around my grandma's house more often . The thing is now i want to learn everything that she did . I wish I could do some canning and gardening and really sew something nice. Well, at least I will always have the memories of picking a stalk of rhuebarb , pears, and picking beans for dinner. I know it's never to late, but we are so spoiled with everything ready made. I give you lots of praise for all that you do .
Di

mcfrog, I'd love to see your digital stitching. I guess I'm kinda a purist when it comes to digital representations of something real; either use the real thing, make it look really altered or do an excellent job duplicating it.

Have any samples to show us?

Oh yes, if I'm going to have stitching it's got to look real. I'm not much for the digitized look...or the "too perfect to be real" look. (BTW, some of WXCHIC's gallery layouts are what spurred this whole post to begin with. She has stitching that I love on some of her paper layouts and digi layouts as well. How do you do that WXCHIC?)

Might keep my eye out for a cheap sewing machine at yard sales this summer like you mentioned Ro. Afterall, if it's cheap enough, it's okay if I can't figure out how to use it because I won't have sunk a lot of money into it. I don't think I'll be needing the one that does button holes. I won't be making any clothes. I have enough other things on my plate, not to mention my girls have two wonderful grandmas who supply them with clothes like crazy. :) I'm blessed that way. Thanks for ALL of your responses on stitching. Keep this thread flowing (no pun intended)...I'm enjoying reading it.

I got one called the Kenmore Ultra Mini off of EBAY. I wouldn't really call it a mini, tho. It's definately not portable. But it is table top, it only has those stitches that Ro mentioned, and it's perfect for my scrapbook pages! And I only paid around $40 for it.

I know that they still have auctions all the time for this little baby. Do a search and see what you come up with!

• 1 month later...
With my having had a singer sewing machine for about 6 years now, about the only things I've ever made is a few costumes, and dresses for the girls, gave up on trying to do the embroidery part, lol, the instructions aren't clear enough to figure it out. I have made a few quilts though, as well as doll clothes, but never once have I tried stitching on a scrapbook page. I have done it by hand with the graph paper like was mentioned before my post. I will have to try and do it on the sewing machine though, It sure does take alot of time to do it by hand when you're trying to do more intriquette designs, lol. My 10 yr old gave up on doing it by hand with a needle and thread, now she does it with yarn and it seems to be a great way to practice.

Archived