Software - Need To Vent!

Debzanne

I'm taking a class online for scrapbooking where most people are working traditionally, but a few of us are working in digi. We are given a 48 hours between assignments, and I've been at an advantage for the most part over the traditional people:

1. I don't have to go pick up prints from CostCo or dig through boxes and boxes for just the right photos to match the assignment.

2. I don't have to run down to the LSS to get adhesive or the perfect finishing embellishment.

3. I don't have to worry about leaving everything out on the dining room table (for kids and pets to ravage) or listen to my DH complain about the mess being out all the time.

However, I hit my first issue today. The assignment came this morning, and I knew exactly which photos I wanted to use, and I even had a kit downloaded and unzipped that would match the photos. Easy. I was having a serious mental block with the sketch, though, and having trouble matching things up. Then... PSE4 crashed. I'd saved, but not especially recently, since my laptop takes FOREVER to do so. I lost 4 layers and some other resizing/adjustments I'd made to three other layers. Grrr. Is this a sign from the scrapgirl in the sky that I was on the wrong track with that LO... or just stupid dumb luck? :banghead:

Debbie

LOL

Oh man... This could have been me. If it was me... I would say that I had been ignoring signs that Ineeded to do some laptop house cleaning to me. Computers will get slow like that when the drive is getting too full.

Sign from the Scrap Girls in the sky that you were on the wrong track on your layout? LOL Maybe you DO have a better idea just waiting in your creative mouse finger just waiting to come out. YEAH. I like that idea. Maybe you were meant to ruin it because the second one will be AWESOME! You will be so excited that you will do handsprings when you finish it!

It's it cool that you are a digital scrapbooker and that you don't have to get in the car, drive down to the LSS and get some new paper, glue, and embellishments because the ones you were working with were ruined. You can just start again and use the things you were using because they are all still waiting for you to try again.

Sigh... THIS is why I digi srapbook now. I have wasted vast amounts of paper supplies in my life time with scrapbooking disasters too wretched to be seen by the naked eye. All of the money down the wastebasket.... Sigh...

Ouch! Crashing programs are never fun. I'd definitely take Ro's advice and see if there's any space you can clear off on the laptop to keep it from saving so slowly in the future.

After this happened to me a couple times, I knew it was time to get an external hard drive. Now I store almost nothing in my laptop drive and it helps a lot. Sorry you lost your LO, I know the frustration, but the sign might be an early warning to get some more space before you lose anything for good.

Oh man I am so sorry! I am sure you will be able to redo the layers even better this time! I know that is the experence I have had when this happened to me! And let us see............LOL!

It may be a sign that it's time for some additional RAM. If things don't pick up after cleaning the hard drive, look into getting some additional RAM.

It also could be your lesson that you need to save frequently. When things like this happen, it forces us to save often.

I bet the new layout will be better than the first one!

I think there are many of us that sometimes wait too long to do maintenance on our computers. It comes back to haunt me all the time. (I need to do some now on my desktop at home) Being a graphic artist I've gotten in the habit of saving "versions" When I make a few changes I save, work some more, save under a new name, until the design is complete. Then I delete the older versions when I'm done. This way if something crashes and corrupts the open document, I have another similar file in the works. Some work is lost but not all.

:dancingcow:

Feel your pain. I think everyone has had a version of the same difficulty. But, silver lining, I find that a) it serves as a reminder that always prompts me to do some organizing and cleaning, and to stay on top of it better (at least for awhile and B) my revised page or writing is better for the revision.

BTW, I think that there is [at least] one more advantage to digital when you're participating in an online class -- much easier to post assignments.

Good luck with your new page and your system revamp.

Oh, had that happen on a layout once- I think the new one did turn out better than the first - but I'll never really know since I don't have it....

But from the laptop, I save either to an external hard drive or on the big internal one on the other computer across the network. But I just have PS7 on the laptop, and CS2 on the desktop, so I don't usually use it when I have a choice. PS7 is just a smidgen fast because of the font thing.

BTW, I think that there is [at least] one more advantage to digital when you're participating in an online class -- much easier to post assignments.

Agreed - everyone in the class complains about taking pictures and posting the final LOs. I just save a few times (.psd, .jpg, .jpg for web) and then post!

As for clearing off the hard drive, I think it's a RAM problem more than a hard drive issue. I have almost a gig of space clear for storage, but I was running PSE4, iPhoto, and Preview (for the assignment) - and apparently that was too much. Hadn't been in the past, but... well. Yeah.

Here's the LO that I turned out completing for the class. It's based on a sketch by Hillary Heidelberg.

http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.ph...i&img=19806

Debbie

Archived