I Think I Just Figured Something Out!

naninca

So, I've been shooting digitally for years, and messed around with a manual camera before that, but haven't moved off auto for about 90% of my shots. But, I'm determined to learn my Nikon D40 better, and have been playing with settings, wondering why I can't get out of the middle range of f-stops. Because I CAN'T with the kit lens, that's why.

Can anyone explain to me (in layman's terms :)) why that is? Or set me straight if I'm wrong? And, wow, do I need to start looking for more lenses already?

TIA,

Nancy

Hi Nancy!

The Nikon D40 does not have an internal focus motor. The Motor is is the lens for this camera. Therefore it can only use AF-S or AF-I lenses. (It can use others but only in manual focus mode).

I dont know exactly what you mean by not getting out of the middle range. However, lenses are usually quoted at their MAXIMUM aperture. So, if you see a lens described as say 50mm F1.4, thats the max aperture that the lens can use.

In the case of zoom lenses, you wll often see something like 80-200mm f3.5/f5.6. This indicates the max aperture at each of the focal lengths - so - at 80mm the max is f3.5, and at 200mm the max is F5.6

So that may explain why, if you are at 200mm end of your lens, you can't go below F5.6.

I think thats what you are after. If not, please say so and I'll try to modify my answer.

HTH

Cheers

Dave got this covered nicely. Kit lenses are a great starting point when learning to shoot Digital, but if you can afford a few more lenses you might want what are called prime lenses.

A good one for portrait shots for instance is either a 50mm 1.4 or an 85mm 1.8. Those also are relatively cheap. I got my 85mm for $250.00. When you start getting fixed aperture lenses (1.4 or 2.8 types) it means that no matter what you try setting your aperture on inside the camera, your lens is set to that aperture and it doesn't matter what your trying to set it too as Dave has already mentioned.

A good one for portrait shots for instance is either a 50mm 1.4 or an 85mm 1.8. Those also are relatively cheap. I got my 85mm for $250.00. When you start getting fixed aperture lenses (1.4 or 2.8 types) it means that no matter what you try setting your aperture on inside the camera, your lens is set to that aperture and it doesn't matter what your trying to set it too as Dave has already mentioned.

Hey Julie,

May I try this 85mm lens out when we get together? My next lens purchase is definitely going to be a better quality portrait lens. I'm trying to decide between the 50mm, a 32mm, and the 85mm. I have the nifty fifty (50mm, f 1/8, around $100 usually), and I love it. But I'm ready for the next step up in price and quality range.

And Nancy, that nifty fifty lens is definitely a good investment. Once I had that, learning to shoot in Manual was so much easier to understand. It was very much worth the $100 investment, and that lens has been on my camera regularly since the day I bought it two years ago.

Julie,

I have to ask this question: If (or should I say when) I get my nifty-fifty lens, my aperture will always be set at 1.4? If I want to say use a "who cares" aperture of say f/8 I can't? I was under the impression that the only thing "fixed" about that lens was the 50mm focal point. But I could use any aperture I could set with my camera from f/1.4 - f/22. Just not larger than f/1.4. Can you clear this up for me?

Also, can you tell me more about your 85mm lens?

Julie,

I have to ask this question: If (or should I say when) I get my nifty-fifty lens, my aperture will always be set at 1.4? If I want to say use a "who cares" aperture of say f/8 I can't? I was under the impression that the only thing "fixed" about that lens was the 50mm focal point. But I could use any aperture I could set with my camera from f/1.4 - f/22. Just not larger than f/1.4. Can you clear this up for me?

Sarah,

I can answer part of your question - the 50mm 1.8 can go to other apertures, but some lens are both fixed focal length and fixed apeture. (See, I am learning :disappearing-smilie: )

I recently purchased a good zoom lens, but already am eying my next purchase which will either be the 85mm lens or the 135mm. But that's a lont time off, and for now I am learning to use the lens I already have.

Julie,

Sarah,

I can answer part of your question - the 50mm 1.8 can go to other apertures, but some lens are both fixed focal length and fixed apeture. (See, I am learning :disappearing-smilie: )

I recently purchased a good zoom lens, but already am eying my next purchase which will either be the 85mm lens or the 135mm. But that's a lont time off, and for now I am learning to use the lens I already have.

Becca, of course you can try my lens out, no problem. I'm bringing my camera bag with will have all lenses in it, including my 70-300 one.

Sarah, okay, then maybe I'm wrong. But I will look this up, cause I thought the lens is fixed at say 1.4 at the focal length of 50mm. If you set the aperture in the camera at f22 I didn't think it would register that setting, but again, I can be wrong on this one. I'm going to go look this up as I so don't want to be saying something wrong.

I'm bringing my lens with me, so you can borrow it too Sarah. I know you have a Canon, so it should be able to work on your camera. I love my 85mm and find I'm using that most of the time. I tend to switch off between that and my 10-35 Tamron lens. Although right now I have my 28-135 on my camera, but I don't use that as much really. I love the quality I get from my 85mm the best.

Oh Julie and Robin - thanks for the quick answers.

And yes, Julie, that's why we are ALL still in some sort of photography class! You can't imagine some of the incorrect assumptions I made when I was first venturing into this wonderfully, "complex" new passion! And still do, I might add!

Now I'm really interested in this other lens. And yes, as long as the lens has a white square on it, or a red dot (I think), I can attach it to my camera. I'd really appreciate trying it out! Thanks again!

i also have the 50 1.4 and glad that you all figured out that is just the widest f stop it goes to and of course it has all the other f stops... lol... love how we are always rattling the brain here and figuring out things ( often with the help of the wonderful sg members)... this lens is more expensive than the 50 1.8...cause it is just a bit faster... go figure..it has something to do with the glass and making it..thats what i am told anyway.,... cause i dont understand it.... but the 1.8 is a great lens too so if anyone is considering the prices just wanted to let you know there are these two "nify fifty" lens...but i think the real nifty fifty is really the 1.8 cause it is so inexpensive

now here is something to throw out there.... i have heard that each lens has a sweet spot...meaning an aperture that it is best used in cause it is the most most sharp when used with that aperature...and that is usually two stops from the widest aperature...so in the case of the 1.4 lens i think that would mean the sweet spot is about 3.5 ...so that is really i think what they say to shoot in... but of course you can use the other aperatures... hey you paid for them! LOL.... and i guess it would matter what you are shooting...maybe dave will stop back by and claify the sweet spot ...or google it

i also have the 85 mm and i find i use the 50 more... i guess in small spaces the 85 mm is just too big... and i dont have a full sensor camera so remember the 85 mm is more like a 100 i think .... and if i shoot outside i guess it would be good...just in a small apt i am finding the 50 does the trick... so i guess from my experience i would go first with the 50 and then maybe a much bigger lens or a wide one...

the zoom i do use the most and it is an L lens which means it is a good one and of course a bit pricey is the 24-105... it covers most every thing and if i can only take the camera with one lens that is the one ....but it doesnt have the fast aperatures... f 4 would be the widest it goes ... and if you think about the sweet spot that prob means about 5.6 or something.... so as everything in life... its a trade off...but i do recommend this L lens... of course all this i wrote about is for a canon.... dont know much about the nikon but they surely have the comparable

Goodness, everyone! Thank you for all the answers! I'll have to read it all a couple of times to digest it all. Who knew there was so much to learn? And so much to put on my wish list....

Nancy

Okay question, which I can actually google. The L lenses is that for full frame camera's only? My 40D is not a full frame, so I'm not sure how well that would work.

I'm off to go google, while I wait for an answer.

no L lens for the 40 D too...i have the 7D and i used to have the 20 D and i have had this lens for all ....

i was referring to google "sweet spot" for lens

Just an interesting aside here: I read that the term "sweet spot" was originally coined for the best area to used to make contact on a tennis racket! From there it's been adapted to described the "best" in any number of applications!

Very interesting tfs

Archived