Unwrapping Memories By Theresa

SJDodd

As a follow up to the earlier question about paper templates...I purchased a paper template "Patch It Up" after admiring the layout by Theresa called "Unwrapping Memories."

I have successfully colored the paper, but I am unsure how to ensure that the staples maintain their "staple" color!

What's the trick that I am not getting?

Thanks!

Sandy :thanks:

As a follow up to the earlier question about paper templates...I purchased a paper template "Patch It Up" after admiring the layout by Theresa called "Unwrapping Memories."

I have successfully colored the paper, but I am unsure how to ensure that the staples maintain their "staple" color!

What's the trick that I am not getting?

Thanks!

Sandy :thanks:

Hey Sandy!

Depending on which blending mode you use, and the color of your paper, getting the staples to retain their staple color will take an extra step.

If you used a clipping mask, just click on the layer that contains the paper, and using a brush eraser with a 4 px round brush with 100% hardness, zoom in and just erase the paper over the staples. This should work for you!

Hmmm, here is what I did...I opened the PSE6 file, added the paper (with the tears, tape and staples) then I opened a new layer, selected solid color, selected my color, then Ctl G to clip them together. I then reduced the opacity to like 60% so that I could see the staples and the scotch tape.

Your info to select the paper layer (which is the original layer of paper, with no color) and erase gives me just white lines on top of the staples. Clearly (!) I am doing something wrong!

Any other advice? I am folliowing the Tutorial for Paper Templates...

Thank you! I can see all the wonderul things that are doing with this, but I just can't get them yet!!

Sandy

OK, instead of using opacity, at the top of your layer menu you will see a drop down box that says "normal"

in it. Go to this drop down box and play with the layer styles. You will find that in most cases, "multipy" and "Overlay" work best. NOW, with the layer that has the solid color selected, go back to the window that you are working with and erase over the staples. Does this make sense?

LOL - I am sooo trying!!! Just not getting it right now!!! Got the layer, used the multiply, but it appears as a clipping mask on one layer (on top) with the non-colored paper underneath it. Can't erase on the top clipping mask layer, and can't erase on the non-colored paper layer...I will continue reading the tutorials and hope that something clicks!!! Maybe it's been too long a day.

Thanks for your help...I will update tomorrow.

Gosh, and it looked so darn easy! :blondmoment:

Sandy

Ohhhh, OKKKK - I think I got it.

When I initially posted, I had read instructions in a tutorial that indicated how to change the color of the paper that was being worked with, not how to add paper of your choice and clip them together.

I think your instructions are for when I add my own paper, clip them together, then select Overlay for my layer type and THEN I can erase on the paper layer and see the staple in it's original color...

I *think* I've got it!!!

Off for hair color to replace the gray this has given me!!

Thank you!

Sandy

Archived