Since I Think My Pse Organizer Bit The Dust...

ManiakMama

Well, I could just about throw up. I'm at my wits end and have tried several answers that I Googled on how to fix the issue I'm having of loading my Catalog. I loved how I had everything set up and tagged, but now it looks like I have to start from scratch. Should be fun to tag 23,000 items (guess I can start working on it on my plane ride on Thursday!)

Anyways, what all do you recommend to organize your supplies? I've tried Ro's method, but I need something where I'm able to tag. I'm thinking of getting ACDSee and see how I like that.

Thoughts?

I use Windows Live Photo gallery. It's free too! I used to use Google Picasa, but it didn't view png files very well, and I couldn't drag and drop from it into my PSE4. The only thing it won't view are my psd files. Those are my working layouts, some layout templates and embellisment templates. But since those have jpg previews, I can see those and know the psd files are there, and it's a snap to open the containing file and drag and drop from there.

I really love it. I did try ACDsee, but I hated how it hijacked all my icons. I guess I could have opted out of that, but it was already too late. And I was able to remember what happened when I installed Windows Live, and prevent WLPG from hijacking my icons too. It's a quick install, and it doesn't seem to slow things down.

The only thing I've found that I dont' like is how it tags groups. It will override previous tags if I try to tag a group that already has multiple various tags.

Heard about it here! Give it a try, what have you got to lose?!!!

I tried Picasa but was intimidated by the number of items needing tagging. :)

I've heard great things about ACDsee and have read about a speed tagging method that can make things go really fast. I'm considering it myself - if you get it, let me know what you think!

I'll be watching this thread because while I like the PSE Organizer and LOVE having everything tagged, it seems like it freezes my PSE quite frequently <sigh>. I've been toying with the idea of ACDSee once I get my dd's graduation album done, which I have less than a month to complete. :whew:

Heidi, what is that you love about ACDSee? Does it import any of the existing tags from the PSE organizer? I'm with Amy - the thought of retagging ALL of those items is overwhelming!

Mindy, it will import tags from JPGs, but not PNGs.

ACDSee is just fast, fast, fast. Plus, it's so customizable, you can really do almost anything you want with it. If there's a way your brain works with organizing, chances are really, really good that ACDSee can be made to work that way for you. You can see white PNGs, ABR files (brushes) and most file types (like camera RAW files, PSDs, video files, etc.), which you can't do with PSE's organizer.

Plus, the company is really, really good about listening to the digi scrapping community. They know that a large part of their new customer base is coming from this demographic, and they're listening. They want to make it more user friendly for us. They recently added support for ABR files, and are still working on making it better.

I tried Picasa but was intimidated by the number of items needing tagging. :)

I've heard great things about ACDsee and have read about a speed tagging method that can make things go really fast. I'm considering it myself - if you get it, let me know what you think!

This sounds like my idea of tagging, how is it done? I started doing things and then just got overwhelmed and gave up, I seemed to spend more time sorting than actually scrapping, any pointers are most welcome.

I have half my stuff organised the way Ro sugested, but recent stuff has just ended up in "temp not sorted" so I will be watching this with great interest.

For those with PSE, you will *never* have to retag your jpg/tif/psd files is you take the following steps:

File, Write Keyword Tag and Properties Info to Files

This embeds the tags right into the file so that other applications (including ACDSee will see them). ACDSee will not see the keywords if this is NOT done. Unfortunately, you cannot write this information into a png file.

I am still mulling over ACDSee.... I use Picasa for my finished pages and my finished pages only, and actually right now I'm just using file explorers, but I know my collection of stuff is going to start getting way bigger eventually, and I'm gonna need to start tagging soon, if I ever want to stay up on it!

Well, I used ACDSee over the weekend on my flights and I LOVE it! I will definitely be purchasing it. Its just like the Organizer, but BETTER and FASTER without a doubt! I got nearly half of my items tagged while I was on the plane!

Can you tell me what kind of problems you were having? I'm wondering if mine is doing the same thing. It basically keeps bogging down, running real slow & then just freezes up and has to shut down. I have PSE 6.0 Any suggestions?

It had been slow for a while, but I assumed it was because I had SO much stuff in there (about 23,000) things in there.

Mary,

I created Tags for by Collections and various product categories (based on Ro's filing system). Just highlight the items you want to tag, then right click on the tag and select Assign. Hope that helps!

I have most of my things tagged and really don't want to have to go through a whole other tagging in another program. I do have Bridge as well, is it better? I don't have a clue as to how to use that.

Archived