Goofy Acdsee Question

viperwife

There are so many organizing styles out there and I am overwhelmed. What do you do if your paper falls into multiple categories? Like it's a blue, pink & green plaid? Or what if it's a blueish-green or orangey-red? Do you assign multiple tags? That seems like it may take forever, but maybe is what's necessary . . . HELP!

There are so many organizing styles out there and I am overwhelmed. What do you do if your paper falls into multiple categories? Like it's a blue, pink & green plaid? Or what if it's a blueish-green or orangey-red? Do you assign multiple tags? That seems like it may take forever, but maybe is what's necessary . . . HELP!

Hi Lynn - I know how you feel! It can be so overwhelming but it really does help in the end!

What I do, with colors, is assign all the colors that are distinct on the page. But, I only have an individual cateogry for the colors I use the most. For example, I use a lot of blue and green so they are listed by themselves. I don't use much red or pink so I have a red-pink category that I assign to papers that are anywhere in that color neighborhood. I have a category for "neutrals" so I don't set one up for gray, black, brown, etc.

As far as "plaid", etc., I only have a few categories set up. I used to have more but I found I am much more likely to search on color than type. I do use "stripes", "Plaid", "patterns" and maybe one other. But, I can't remember the last time I used any of those categories for a search! But, that's just me - I don't know what I want to use until I look at all the papers available in the color arena!

Hope that helps a little. Just think about how you're likely to look for things and set them up that way.

You can add a new color category...just right-click on the category you want the new one under and choose 'New Category'. Or you can tag with both blue and green. When searching for stuff, click on the little boxes to the left of the categories...those are called 'easy-select' boxes and you can click on several of them. Just set the 'match any/all' at the top of the categories pane to 'match all' then click on blue and green and paper, for example. (don't use the include sub-categories option though...tends to crash ACDSee)

I have just finished subdividing my papers into monochromatic and polychromatic (needs one color tag vs. several) because I have so many textured and patterned papers that aren't quite what I'd call solid but they're all one color...just in different shades...kwim? Then I also tagged anything in both of those categories that is floral, tagged lined/graph papers, and also have a category for bordered papers. So some of my papers have several tags on them just within the paper category. I'll add color tags next...not sure if I'm going to bother for the poly's though...when I'm searching for that kind of patterned paper I don't have a set color in mind...those will probably get get more style tags instead. The mono's are where I look for a specific color of paper. So think about how you'd like to find things, then you can set up your categories to work with your searching style. Does that make sense?

I like having short category lists for speed tagging so I will probably just keep my 10 colors and use multiple tags to describe in-between colors like teal.

HTH!

Kristi

I would tag with both in that case. When it comes to tricky items like that, I usually think how I want to find the item when I search. For example, if I tag the paper just, say, green it wouldn't show up when I search with blue paper, and it will limit the creative possibility. Dose that make sense? So I usually tag as many categories as I can.

Guest faerywings

Sayo, I tend to do the same- esp for papers. But not so much for elements such as ribbons.

For things like ribbons and buttons etc, I will tag with just the one main color, knowing that I can pretty much use my software to change the colors to exactly what I need.

Sayo, I tend to do the same- esp for papers. But not so much for elements such as ribbons.

For things like ribbons and buttons etc, I will tag with just the one main color, knowing that I can pretty much use my software to change the colors to exactly what I need.

I'm like you too. papers tend to have a lots of colors taged, but my elements, sometime don't have any color taged.

I'm like you too. papers tend to have a lots of colors taged, but my elements, sometime don't have any color taged.

I reference and cross reference everything - in a broad category like papers then anything that might pertain based on pattern or texture. Some have many tags.

Archived