Which Ehd?

mmouse

My DH has asked me what I would like for Christmas,and I am thinking an EHD. Reading through some of these earlier posts I'm a little hesitant. Sounds a little over whelming trying to do back ups. I back everything up now on to DVDs, except for my zip files, which I do on CD-R's.

Which brand would be most recommended? I have looked on the New egg site and they have several. Do I need the great big one(1TB)?

or is that over kill? I am using windows xp home edition, and PSE 5.0.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Wendy Rae

Wendy,

I have maxtor 500gb and have tons of stuff on it. all of my school stuff (powerpoints, wksts, etc) all of my scrapbooking, itunes collection, and other music and still have 3/4 to go before it is full. as for the back up, i typically drag and drop my files on to the ehd and i am good to go. hth

I have 2 EHDs....both are the Western Digital brand. One is a 56GB WD Passport, the other is a 640GB WD Elements. So far I've had no problems with either of them *knock on wood!* I'm using Windows XP also. I got them both on NewEgg when they were on sale.

An EHD will be a great Christmas present!! :)

I have a Maxtor 500gb and a Seagate Free Agent Go 500gb. The Maxtor is on the desktop and it has to be plugged into a wall outlet and into the computer for backup. The Maxtor is big, bulky, and not very portable. It's also kinda difficult to program.

The Seagate, on the other hand, is a dream! I use this one on my laptop. It's small, portable and it turns on when you plug it into a USB port on the computer. The programming is preloaded on the EHD and you just plug it in and it loads the programming by itself. I just took it to my sister's last night and copied all of her photos onto the EHD and brought it home and put them on mine. The Seagate also has a return guarantee. If it should fail, you send it in, and they send you a new one. The Seagate is also really fast. I copied over 600 pictures in less than 5 minutes. You can also set up how often to back up your system.

One thing to keep in mind is what source you are using for connection....firewire is faster, but not all computers have a firewire port.

I have a Seagate 500GB which is suiting my needs just fine. And I have tens of thousands of photos not to mention a huge number of SG's products on mine. So far so good. It came with Backup software which works like a dream Picked mine up last Christmas at Sam's club for around $100. I tried Carbonite and couldn't get it to get all my stuff uploaded. Litereally, for 8 months I tried to get my stuff to Carbonite. My system slowed to a crawl and I never even came close to getting it all on there. I finally gave up and went with this. It's great. It may fail, all hard drives do eventually, but the likelyhood of my backup and my in PC harddrive failing together is pretty small, so I feel pretty safe.

i have 2 seagates.. highly recommended by my computer guy...he says that is the brand to get...so i do as he says...LOL.... i keep all my photos and scraping on that and then i back it up to mozy. also i shopped around and got my best deal that way ...on line...i think at new egg

I have two Western Digital passports, 250GB. One for photos and one for personal, business. Just use them with my laptop. Run off computer power which is a problem traveling, running on battery power. Really drains the battery power quickly. Other than that I love them. I also back up to dvd and cd.

I have a 250GB SignatureMini by SimpleTech. The style/size is called Marshmallow ... it's white ... they have a brown one that's a different size called Chocolate - you get the idea ;)) It runs via USB cable, it's small and I have it plugged in all the time because it runs a daily backup from my hard drive (which has been know to fail every 2 months or so...long story). It came with the software on it for running the backup and after the initial backup which took a while, I don't even notice it running.

Because it is plugged in all the time I have it Velcro-d to the top of my laptop (thanks to Jan Hicks for the awesome idea). That way when I don't have to worry about it getting knocked around.

I figure between this new EHD, my extra EHD, Carbonite and some DVD's I'm backed up like crazy! :)

I would highly sugest NOT a western digital. I had one that lasted 6 mos then completely crashed, call the co and they said oh well thats too bad, can we sell you something else? Thought back and realized in my desktop computer I had added a second WD drive and it didnt last more than a year either, started looking around at tech sites and they are apparently known for making cheap hds, and you get what you pay for. blah...HP has one that I was going to get had I not switched to mac, netgear has one that will work with both. I also have a toshiba portable drive that I in for repairs right now, but had a THREE year warrenty, so all covered. As for size, that depens on if you wnt one that will mirror you drive in case you have a failure. I would have loved that feature with my WD, because I lost EVERYTHING.

I've had one of my western digital EHDs for about a year and haven't had a single problem with it. *shrug*

Oh, and my newest EHD (a 640 GB WD Elements) has its own AC adapter, so it doesnt have to rely on the computer's power via USB connection. Also, when I'm not using the EHD, it goes into "sleep mode" to conserve power. Then when I go to either access files on it or download files to it, it clicks on and powers back up to full. I like that feature!!

I hope we aren't confusing you more than we are helping :oops:

We have dozens of hard drives, and have had a handful of them fail. My husband buys based on price, not brand, and he's had every major brand fail. Really! It is just inherent in the product. They have all been under warranty. The last few that failed he just looked up the serial number online, printed a work order and sent them in. A while later, we got a new one in the mail. One bad experince with a brand doen't make them all bad.

It is so great to be able to check here on SG for almost any question I have an someone will have already asked it and it has already been answered! Saves me a lot of research time. I have confirmed my initial plan....and am getting a new Seagate Portable to go with my other one that is bigger than I want to carry around when I am traveling. Thanks Ladies!

Archived