Will This Program Work

I have a bunch of photo programs that came with my husbands camera. Will Picture Style Editor,ZoomBrowser EX,Scan -n- Stitch Deluxe,Photoshop Dark Room 2,Panorama maker 4, HP Photosmart Essential 3.5, EOS Utility, Digital Photo Professional. I have the 30 day free trial of Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2. I think I am done to a couple days left on it. Which program will work the best. I am hoping the ones I already have will do. LOL

Thanks

Brandy

I have never heard of any of those except PSP.

I am not familiar with that program myself.

I know lots of people use Photoshop Elements and you can usually pick up a copy (especially one that is an version or two old) for fairly cheap.

Good Luck picking one!!

Most of the ladies here use Photoshop Elements. Paint Shop Pro is a fine program to scrap with as well. You can get a free 30 day trial of PSE at Adobe's site. PSE 8 is on coupon at Costco this month for around $50. (It may expire today) PSP can be a little less expensive, but there are some tools in the boutique (styles and actions) that are just for Photoshop and PSE. I have the Scan n Stitch program (used it to scan all my paper pages) and I don't think it is one that would work well for scrapbooking. I'm not very familiar with the other programs you mentioned. Hope that helps you a little bit. :)

A couple of those programs, like HP Photosmart Essential, are for editing and printing out your photos. They don't have layers (or at least didn't the last time I looked) so you probably don't want them for scrapping.

As Rosemary says, we have lots of people who use PSP and can tell you more about that one.

Hi Brandy,

Welcome to Scrap Girls. The first few programs you mentioned - Picture Style Editor, Zoom BrowserEX, EOS Utility and Digital Photo Professional - the ones that came with the camera aren't exactly digital scrapping programs. But they are programs that do work with your photos. The Picture Style Editor lets you edit picture "styles" that are on your camera and add more from the Internet; Zoom Browser is a way to catalog your photos; and Digital Photo Professional is Canon's program for editing RAW photos you take with your Canon camera. The EOS is also a Canon program which allows you to do various things using your computer and your camera together.

Some of the other programs are ones that came with your printer and/or scanner and again, they perform certain tasks, but are not complete programs you for digital scrapping.

As others have mentioned, the most popular programs are the Adobe Photoshop programs, the CS series (quite expensive) and the Photoshop Elements and the Corel PSP X2 (more economically priced).

These are complete image editing software programs and are excellent for digital scrapping. I use PSP X2 and PSE 7. Many people here can help you get started with either program.

If you are serious about getting into digital scrapbooking, I would go with Photoshop -- CS4 if money is no object, or PSE7 or 8 if you need an affordable version. I know there are some who like Paint Shop Pro, but I've only ever worked with Adobe.

Good luck -- I hope you find something that meets your needs!

• 2 weeks later...

Paint Shop Pro is a fine program (as is its "big sister" "Photo-Paint" by Corel.) However, you'll need to "translate" some of the hints and tips you see here because most of them will be in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements terms. That said, there are PSP scrappers here who are glad to help. If/when you want to use styles and actions (which I'm just learning to use,) you'll need PS or PSE to use them.

Right now, I'm a hybrid scrapper, I use Photo-Paint for most things, PSE for things like styles--I can save the "styled" layers to a flattened PNG file, and then drag it into Photo-Paint, which I already owned and really liked. It was WAY less expensive than Photoshop, and I LOVE its user interface/structure. But this is NOT the easiest path for most people.

Archived