What Size Font Is Good For Recipe Cards?

TeaScrapper

The different fonts have different sizes--so, I just type it out and then fix the size for what fits and is readable. Have fun do your recipe cards!

Terri, Dixie Lee is correct that it's hard to make a rule. You could try some different sizes and fonts and do a test printout, on just plain white 4x6 cards. Just write "12 point Times New Roman," in 12 pt type, "10 point Palatino" in Palatino 10 pt, etc. Once printed, it's pretty easy to figure out what you like.

If the recipe is complex, I do an 8 x 6 card, and then split it to make two cards, rather than decrease font size too far. Usually ingredients on one, instructions on the other. I want them to be legible even as my eyes age, so I also try to assure decent contrast!

Here's a link to the 8x6 before splitting it: Crockpot Chicken Stew and to the top half of another (bottom half is next image in gallery) Fruitcake Cookies. I have a recipe cookbook that holds two 4x6" cards per page, so I can see the cards together.

Hope this helps!

Barbara, what a great idea!

I do as April mentioned. If it's a lot of things I don't want all scrunched together I'll do a second card with the same basic design as the first. And for those of us with aging eyes, the simpler the font, the better. It's okay if the name is in a cute or fancy font, but it makes the rest of the recipe hard to read.

The other thing I would recommend is viewing your 4 x 6 card as "life size" on your computer screen. Most of us can't do that with a 12 x 12 page (I'd love a monitor that big, lol), but for a 4 x 6 it's doable. That way you'll know if your journaling is too small to read easily.

Archived