Is This A Good Laptop For Digi Scrapbooking?

I found this laptop and need to know if it is a GOOD one for digi scrapbooking? If so, about what price should it be for?

Toshiba Silver 15.6" Satellite L455D-S5976 Laptop PC

The Toshiba 15.6" Satellite L455D-S5976 Laptop PC boasts a stunning widescreen display that lends a new visual dimension to your movies, gaming, photos and more. Equipped with a large 250GB hard drive and plenty of memory, this powerful laptop can supercharge multitasking, balancing the family budget or studying for finals.

Toshiba 15.6" Satellite L455D-S5976 Laptop PC:

AMD Sempron processor for notebook PCs, SI-42

Features 2.1GHz speed and 512KB L2 cache <LI>2GB of DDR2 system memory, expandable up to 8GB

Furnishes enough memory to handle demanding applications <LI>250GB SATA hard drive, rated at 5400 rpm

Stores up to 71,000 photos, or up to 62,000 songs, or up to 30 hours of HD video and more <LI>SuperMulti DVD optical drive

Lets you play and create CDs and DVDs in 11 different disc formats <LI>15.6" diagonal widescreen TruBrite TFT LCD display

Presents 1366 x 768 resolution (WXGA) with native support for 720p content

ATI Radeon 3100 graphics with dynamically allotted shared graphics memory

Toshiba 15.6" Satellite L455D-S5976 Laptop PC Software

<LI>Genuine Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit. <LI>Microsoft Works 9 <LI>Microsoft Windows Media Player <LI>Internet Explorer 8 <LI>Toshiba Software and Utilities: Electronic User's Guide, Bluetooth Stack for Windows, Toshiba Recovery Media Creator, Toshiba ConfigFree, Toshiba Disc Creator, and Hard Disc Drive Recovery <LI>Adobe Acrobat Reader <LI>Google Toolbar <LI>Sun Java 2 Runtime Environment <LI>WildTangent Orb Game Console <LI>Environmental Specifications: RoHS compatible, Energy Star 5.0 Qualified, EPEAT Gold Compliant

Toshiba 15.6" Satellite L455D-S5976 Laptop PC Specifications

<LI>Matte Silver finish <LI>Three USB 2.0 ports <LI>RGB (monitor) output port <LI>Microphone and headphone ports <LI>6-cell rechargeable lithium-ion battery <LI>Built-in 3-in-1 digital media card reader

(Secure Digital, Memory Stick, Multi Media Card) <LI>Security lock slot

Yes but I would definitely ask them to upgrade the RAM to the 8GB. Then you are set to go.

an AMD Processor is one of the best :)

Do ask about repair warranties and such like....Laptops have been known to break sometimes so I would definitely recommend getting some kind of warranty.

Honestly, I don't think I'd buy another Toshiba Satellite laptop. We bought one for Cathrine a few years ago, and it's name on our network is "Bad Design." It started overheating and shutting down while she was trying to do back-ups. It was the first day of the term, so I ordered her a new one and brought the Toshiba home with me. I did a little online research and found this is a common problem with that brand. The way the fan is placed in the machine, you have to take the entire thing apart (literally) in order to clean off the lint that builds up over time. Fortunately there were step-by-step instructions with pictures online from one of the many other Toshiba Satellite owners who have had to do the same thing. The computer still works fine, but we know we'll have to take it apart to clean it again in about 6 months.

I don't know anything about brands, but I agree with Vaughnde -- max out that RAM! Also, 250 GB sounds like a lot, but I would get yourself an EHD or two to save room on your laptop and as back-up.

I upgraded my trusty desktop from 1GB RAM to 2GB 2 years ago. While it improved significantly, let me tell you that 2GB is not nearly enough. I will be upgrading soon if she'll handle it. A bigger hard drive too!

I'd keep looking! I looked up the computer that you mention here and it's only a 32 bit - you'd be much better with a 64 bit. I've also looked up a low end Hewlett Packard and there is one listed that is only $4 dollars more, but has the free upgrade to 3 GB DDR2 Memory and is a 64 bit. It's a Pentium T4300 instead of the Sempron, which is the low end AMD, much like Celeron compared to Pentium. There is no built in web cam, but then there isn't one in the Toshiba either and it's only necessary, if you like to do live chats. It has a full size keyboard and number pad, where the Toshiba doesn't. Here's the link for this page, so you can compare specs.

That said, I would still go bigger, because although this computer is better than the one you are looking at, it could still us an upgrade on speed and graphics. The second computer on this page is two hundred more, but it has a dual core processor, which pretty much doubles your speed + it has a webcam and mic but no number pad, 4GB DDR3 memory. So the suggestion here is to look for a 64 bit, duo core, with enough speed and space to do what you need. The first computer may just do it, but I don't see if it is a duo core. The second one offers a little more, as well as the duo core.

I hope that I haven't confused the issue for you, but I would hate to hear that you purchased a computer and it didn't do the job for you. Good luck with your search and I hope that you find something suitable for your hobby. :-)

Though if you have a lot of money invested in software, make sure it is compatible with a 64-bit machine. Not all are and you have to check. However, if you are starting from scratch, I would go for 64-bit and make sure the software you buy can run with it. The same goes with Win7 -- make sure your programs are compatible with the onboard system. When I upgraded to Win7, I had to get Win7Ultimate as most of my software wasn't compatible with the standard Home Premium version.

Have fun shopping!

Thank you all!!!!!!! it is much appreciated....So i will not buy the Toshiba.... I will tell you I have a 500G EHD that I am using for my digi and pics already. DH has one upstairs too if I need more storage. however, my laptop is an old Compaq Evo N610c. it is at it's max on ram at 1G and the HD is way to small 20G. I was thinking about gettin a larger HD but that wont solve my RAM issue. It too has an overheating issue. I get so frustrated with it overheating. I use ice packs on it daily....

I will keep looking and check into what you have said.

You're welcome. My last laptop was a Compaq too and it was great when I first got it, but it wasn't fast enough or big enough for todays apps and files, so I upgraded from XP, single core, much like you have, to an HP Pavilion i7, quad core, with Win 7. I love it and yes, it's more than what I need at present, but it will last for a while. I hope you can find something that is good for you. :-)

I just got an HP Pavilio dv8t quad edition

• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

• Intel® Core i7-720QM Quad Core processor (1.6GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 2.8 GHz

It has 4GB DDR3 System Memory,500GB with 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT, Got it about a week ago and am LOVING it! The speed, sweet! I am even finding things I like about Windows 7! The key board is very nice, too! I am impressed with this laptop, wasn't sure if I'd get used to a laptop but, I am totally into it! Best of luck in your search for one that fits your needs!

Thank you! Thank you for listing what you currently have too. I will look into those laptops as well, hopefully, they are in the budget for me.

I just get so frustrated at this thing and want to throw in the towel at times cause I can't hardly complete projects without having to reboot it. I am sure i will have more questions for ya'll...

thank you thank you!!!!

Here's an HP... What do you think? In regards to intel pentium- these change so much and so fast. Is intel still the best out there?

HP G61-429wm 15.6" Laptop PC w/ AMD Sempron & Windows 7

HP 15.6" Laptop PC Features:

AMD Sempron processor for notebook PCs M120

2.10 GHz, Up to 3.2 GT/s, 512 KB L2 Cache

3 GB MB DDR2 System Memory

Enough memory to handle today's most memory-hungry applications

250 GB 7200RPM SATA hard drive

Store your music, videos, photos and documents with plenty of space to spare

LightScribe SuperMulti 8x DVD+R/RW drive with double layer support

Play and create CDs and DVDs with this DVD/CD burner drive

Wired Ethernet; Wireless WiFi

Connect the HP 15.6" Laptop PC to a broadband modem with 10/100 Ethernet; connect wirelessly to a WiFi network or hotspot with built-in 802.11b/g/n WLAN; High speed 56k modem

15.6" Diagonal HD HP BrightView Widescreen display

1366x768 resolution; ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Graphics with 128 MB Display Cache Memory

3 x USB 2.0 ports, 1 x Headphone out, 1 x Microphone-in, 1 x HDMI, 1 x VGA port, 1 x RJ-11, 1 x RJ-45 port 6-cell Li-ion battery Software

Genuine Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Symantec Norton Internet Secruity 2010 Trial

HP PC Recovery

In The Box: HP G61-429WM Laptop, AC Power Adapter and Cord, Battery, and Documents.

Brand:

HP

Condition:

Model:G61-429WM

I knew this is just me being picky, but if you are going to scrap alot on this laptop I would try and get one with a bigger monitor.

I have a 17 inch and I LOVE it.

just my 2 cents.

But the HP one above looks good. I am not much of an HP fan since our desktop is HP and the monitor colors drive me crazy.

Yes I will be scrapping a lot on this laptop. I currently have a smaller screen, so this will be an improvement for me already. To me what is very important is size so I will not have to do any upgrades for a very long time. Then come colors. I want true colors so that when I goto print my pages I am not disappointed when I get them back.

If you are attaching a second monitor most of the time when at home, then monitor size is not as important. If you're going to haul it around, weight IS important. At my office, I scrap sometimes on the large second monitor, and only use the laptop (my 13") for displaying things like styles. So it depends how you use it.

I love my HP, but it's set up much differently than the one that is mentioned here. It's not so much the make as what is in the computer. Some places tend to use all low end equipment, keeping the price of the computer down, but then you don't get the colours, speed and performance that you think you should, or that you need, to run your applications properly.

It might be a good idea for you to go to a computer store, like Future Shop or Staples, and talk to a guru. Explain what you want to do with it, any upgrades in software that you plan to get, especially if the computer has to last you. If the guru doesn't seem to know much about photo software, just mention gaming, as in large games. Any computer can play on Pogo or show you a small video, but when it comes to games and photo software, you need graphics, speed and space.

I don't know what you mean by Intel changing, unless you mean its relationship with other processors, because there are advancements in each generation of processor. Each company that makes processors has different processors that they make. Intel's low end processor is Celeron, which is equal to AMD's low end processor - Sempron. Mine is Intel i7 quad core, which is a little to the high end of Intel and AMD also has a high end processor. Mac's have their Snow Leopard and is supposed to have the best graphics going, but you pay more for it and then have to buy new software because most of it isn't compatible.

I searched, compare Intel to AMD and clicked on a link for PC Stats, after-all, there isn't much sense in clicking on AMD or Intel sites, because they would be bias. Here's the link and here's a paragraph from the information.

So, who offers the best performance - is it AMD or Intel? I'm glad you asked, the answer is....

...Intel. For the moment anyway, Intel's dual and quad core processors are the king of the heap. In particular, the companies Core 2 Duo/Quad processor lineup is out-pacing AMDs current Athlon64 X2/FX processor families. That may indeed change by the end of Q4'07, or it may not.

I did a lot of Internet surfing and guru questioning, before I bought my computer - I hope this helps. :-)

You know I just got a 400 dollar toshiba at best buy 4gigs memory DDR3 type it is not upgradeable but itis more than I will need with a 64 bit machine. I run CS5 just absolutely fine on it and I have it attached to my 24 inch towers monitor. the good the bad and the ugly of pc's are they come out better greater and faster than before. I recomend not spending much on a new toy like this because in 3 years you will not feel bad when you pass this on down to someone else. I have 3 EHD's so the 250 gig hd on it is more than I will need. I don't keep anything permenantely attached to my CS so it runs like a dream. I recomend a cheep 64bit with DDR3 memory and enjoy! Buy the size it comes with and later if you wish and play at home alot set up the monitor to the lap top and play. I have a intell CPU/processor and it is not the top of the line either I have a PR Dual Core CPU T440 running @ 2.20 ghZ nothing to write home about believe me but I did not spend anything to be embaressed about either LOL It is a Satelite L455 15.5 inches monitor

I highly recomend not spending a fortune on a lap top! If this one here I have now dies in a year or two and all the time on my toy I still got a deal! Go check out the deals online at your local stores (staples office max best buy etc) and do not let a sales rep talk you into a Bigger and greater deal! it is just not necessary.

Also with W7 in PC nowadays it runs really really well and is a very nice Operating sysytem and easy to learn. I do HIGHLY recomend a lapt top lifter and fan to keep the lap top cool no matter where you have it sitting on a des book counter no matter where. another 25 bucks to 40 for that and they plug in usb to your laptop.

I have mine sitting on 2 packs of empty ciggerattes and the fan really doesn't come on all that much/

Just my 7 cents worth!

I agree with everyone about the RAM. My laptop has 2 GB and cannot be upgraded to more. Since I don't scrap on it normally, it is ok, but if you are going to use it for scrapping that is definitely not enough. I'm like Elisha, upgrading to 2 GB helped, but not really enough. My desktop has 8, and it's so nice having all that.

Archived