Jumpstart January 2019

ValerieT

I definitely have supplies to organize and file away - about 4 months worth of frenzied shopping!  But, I'll also describe my system.  When I started learning to digiscrap, my first supplies were Scrap Girls supplies.  To this day, most of what I own is still Scrap Girls.  I've always appreciated how the files at SG are named, and that the collections for the most part are broken down the same (embellishments, papers, word art, alpha, etc).  The file names make it much easier to search, for a butterfly for example, rather than just naming embellishments sequentially (01, 02, etc).  Because I very much rely on the file names to search for what I need, I'm able to just organize by type of folder.  So I've got SG_Alphas, SG_Emb, SG_Papers, etc.  Within each of those folders, I've got folders broken down by designer, so ABR, BMU, MRE, SNU, and then inside those are folders with the collection name.  This way I can go into my BIG folder of embellishments and do a search for "butterfly" and all the butterflies will pop up.  I love it!  Scrap Simple is a different creature, that's been harder, but I finally figured that out too; it's similar, but those folders are named SG_SS_Alphas, SG_SS_Emb, etc.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As soon as I make a purchase I unzip them & put them in the appropriate folders. Then I enter my purchases into 2 spreadsheets, one for purchases sorted by category & one for purchase history. Both have date of purchase so I can cross reference. Plus I have all my zip files in folders by date.

I made a purchase on Tuesday and unzipped and filed it away. I want to tag my stuff in ACDSee, but I'm way behind on that, but I can still see and use everything. When I buy something, it goes into a folder with all my other purchases that are waiting to be tagged. Once tagged, then it's moved to another folder. It seems like a lot, but I really do enjoy tagging everything because I see what I have and really look at everything. I think it helps my mojo, too.

All the layouts look great!

Today's speed bump came at just the right time, LOL. I needed to get my December new scrapping stuff organized. Everything is now copied onto 2 EHDs. I also copied over my 2018 layouts. My back-up system is to keep a current month's folder on my computer. When I get anything new, it goes into that folder and also into its place in my scrapping supplies. At the end of the month I copy the "new stuff" folder onto the EHDs. Because I have so many supplies I've found it easier to just copy what's new rather than the whole of my digital scrapbook folder!

My organization system is pretty basic. I keep SG stuff into general folders according to their type: collections, paper packs, embellishment packs, templates and so on. Within those folders they automatically alphabetize by designer name. In some folders, e.g. brushes, I keep a file of marketing images so that I know exactly which brushes I have.

Mine are all downloaded and filed away :)

When I first download them I place them in a file on my computer so I can basically use them before filing on my hard drive (otherwise I'd forget what I bought) 
My filing is very basic and once I use them a few times I transfer them to my EHD & I then file them into Alpha, brush, embellishments, templates, kits ect. Most of the SG products describe well what they are but some designers just use numbers for the papers ect so I add a description so when I search for a specific product it comes up.

My word this year is Organize....not working too well so far.

When I get new supplies they go into a folder "SG Kits"...that is about it, not really!!!!

I have just started a more detailed file system by separating them into holidays with subfolders, masks, freebies which is mess of stuff, alphas,frames, etc. I also started a folder for the Marketing Sheets so I am putting a copy there so I can see my supplies easier....I have so much old work to do here, good thing I am retired but still have no time.

1 hour ago, Florida granny said:

I'm enjoying reading about everyone's organization... or lack of organization, LOL. You did give me some ideas, however.

Here's my title using Vladimir Script font and the alpha from BMU Love Is:

JJ LO 4 title.jpg

Gorgeous!

Here is my page.

A big thank you to Valerie for keeping this fun game going and Mikelle for posting all the tasks this week.

Thanks for playing along this week, everyone!  I've had fun posting the tasks.  I'll be back in a bit to post my layout... busy weekend, Karlie had volleyball this morning, and now I must go do some housecleaning as Laura is having a sleepover tonight and birthday party tomorrow for her 10th birthday.  But really... how much cleaning do I need to do for a few 10 year old girls to come over and go crazy?  ?   Wish me luck!

3 hours ago, Mikelle said:

Thanks for playing along this week, everyone!  I've had fun posting the tasks.  I'll be back in a bit to post my layout... busy weekend, Karlie had volleyball this morning, and now I must go do some housecleaning as Laura is having a sleepover tonight and birthday party tomorrow for her 10th birthday.  But really... how much cleaning do I need to do for a few 10 year old girls to come over and go crazy?  ?   Wish me luck!

Good luck, sounds like a good time and you’d be better off cleaning AFTER the party!   :happy-birthday:, Laura - double digits!  :)

It's time for the last round for January so it's a short one ?

Task Nineteen, 28th Jan
Documenting the everyday things are just as important as the big events.

Pick up your camera or phone and take a photo or two of something normal or everyday. You could take a photo of a view you see everyday, what about your car, a book. have fun but make sure your photo is of something you see, do or use everyday.

Don't forget to download your photo/s to your computer You will need them this week. 

I took the photos and now I need to download them along with the photos from the two birthday parties we attended yesterday. Happy Monday everyone!

Archived