March Madness 2024!

Welcome to March Madness!  Every year during the month of March (in honor of the U.S. NCAA basketball tournament also known as March Madness), we hold a crazy, upside down and backwards slow scrap.  You'll never know where your layouts will end up - but hopefully by the end of the month you'll have 4 awesome...er, well, at least interesting... layouts to admire.  Really, it won't be THAT bad, but it should be fun!

Here are the rules:  We will create one layout each week this month, for a total of 4 layouts.  Every day Monday-Saturday, I will post a task for you.  Follow each task to the best of your ability, but don't overthink it - there are no layout police here!  After each week concludes, there will be a drawing for a $5 gift certificate to the SG Shop.  In order to be eligible for the weekly drawing, you must post that week's layout in the Slow Scrap Gallery by Sunday night, midnight ET.  

At the end of the month, there will be a Grand Prize drawing for a $20 gift certificate to the SG Shop; the number of entries you earn will equal the number of weekly layouts you post by Sunday night March 31st, midnight ET.  For example, if you only manage to finish 2 of the 4 layouts during the month, you'll earn 2 entries into the Grand Prize drawing.  Also, the layouts don't need to be posted by the end of each week in order to count toward the Grand Prize drawing - they just have to be posted by midnight March 31st.  This will help all you procrastinators out there!

Our first week will be a little longer - it will run March 1st - March 9th, and I'll post tasks every day during that time, except for Sunday (there will be no task posted Sunday, March 3rd).  Ready for your first task?  See below!

• Like 1

LAYOUT #1, TASK 1 (Friday, March 1st):

Using one of the following two photos as inspiration, choose two or three photos to scrap, and two background papers, to start your layout off.  

image.thumb.jpeg.88f0a10554320bab572c9892fded806b.jpeg                    image.thumb.jpeg.b204e83bdd04278981a938ccc8974487.jpeg

Both photos are from Pexels.com; the llama credit goes to Karolina Grabowska, and the house photo credit goes to Ksenia Chernaya.

• Like 1

LAYOUT #1, TASK #2 (Saturday, March 2nd):

Add a third paper; it needs to either have polka dots on it, or zig-zags/chevrons.  Second task, add either a frame to one of your photos, or use a mask for one of your photos. Or do both, if you choose.  😜

12 hours ago, CRS said:

Ok, got my photos and layout started!

Carla, you're ahead of me!  I'll get my act together on Saturday, hopefully.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ladyscrapalot said:

interesting photos..... will have to think a bit on this one.

Kelly, you can take any sort of inspiration from one of the photos you want - colors, feel, something in the photo.  You certainly don't have to find a photo of a llama, although I do have some alpaca photos I might use, lol.

Layout 1 Task 1; 3 papers; ABR_Embrace_PaperSolid4; ABR_Embrace_Freebie2; CKH_FreshStarts_PP_retro_01;

Layout 1 Task 2; SG_MerryBright_Emb_bhs_frame; Paper added CKH_FreshStarts_PP_retro_01;

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mikelle said:

Kelly, you can take any sort of inspiration from one of the photos you want - colors, feel, something in the photo.  You certainly don't have to find a photo of a llama, although I do have some alpaca photos I might use, lol.

Yep, I knew that.:)   just meant I had to think of photos I have that would connect with the inspo pics. I thought of one for the llama right away but I’ve scraped it years ago before I found scrap Girls. But I may rescrap it if I don’t come up with something else. 

• Like 1

I'm in! Looking for photos now! 😍

Friday: Llama

Photos: Check

Papers: Check Using new to me kit, Lemony goodness. 

Saturday: Frame: Check

paper: Zigzag check

• Like 1

On 3/1/2024 at 11:52 AM, CRS said:

Sounds fun! I really need to get my scrapping mojo back...this has been my longest dry spell in my 20 years digital scrapping!

I'm in a scrapping slump, too, Carla. Maybe this "Madness" will kick us out of it. Or at least, if the pages turn out wacky they'll fit right in. :D 

• Haha 2

I updated task #2 above; when I said "zigzags" I was picturing chevrons - whatever paper you find that might fit either zigs, zags, or chevrons, go for it!  😄

Layout #1, Task 3 (Monday, 4 March):

Add 8 unique embellishments PLUS 3 unique word strips!  Unique in this setting means they are all different from each other, although (for example) you may have two different styles and colors of buttons and that would count as 2 embellishments.  In contrast, using a button twice and changing the size does not count as 2 unique elements.  

If you would like more than 8 embellishments at this point, feel free to duplicate some of your 8 unique elements!  😁

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Jane in N.Z said:

Task #2...polka dot paper added and I used a mask and a frame.

1430413663_2.thumb.jpg.ac090e0a0847055a0925659e3ee079ae.jpg

Hmmmm, Jane, methinks your layout looks awfully pretty for March Madness... I'll see what I can do about that this week! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Ugh I am not good at clusters and these 8 elements are killing me 🤣🤣🤣 I am not Gumby today and am not stretching well. I dont like it yet, but hey I got them on there.

507607638_MarchMaddness1.thumb.jpg.6c5f890c9713f756ed51daf261f8e583.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1