Jumpstart January 2022

April Showers

Catching up:

Jan 1 - I've downloaded my photos, or sent to my computer as the case may be!

Jan 2: New Siggie Here (I'm in a little bit of shock - I've had the other one so long!)

Jan 3 -I've selected three old photos that are scanned from slides. I had to lighten them significantly going to Image>Adjustment>Brightness/Contrast. Then for a little added oompf to my photos I used an old photoshop plug in called "RadLab". This is no longer available for PC. I used the filter "Clarify" to really brighten everything up. 

Jan 4: I've started my layout with the above three photos. 

Jan 5-8: Added 3 papers, 5 elements, made title, added finishing touches, date, journaling. 

HERE is my completed layout for week 1

Here's my week 2 layout.  I used the drop cap tutorial by Susie Roberts (link is with the layout). What I learned was that it works best with a font that is straight on the right side. When I tried a curly font I couldn't get the rest of the journaling to line up to look good. (Maybe that's just me?) In any case it was a fun tutorial and one which I will use again.

Thanks for another fun week!

I also use Good Sync. Have for some years now. I use it to back up to an EHD. I also have a cloud backup service, Crash Plan Pro. I've also had it for a long time. It is not cheap, but there is no limit on storage or drives you can backup. Both of these programs are automatic and run all the time. Good Sync is faster and easier to use if I lose something. But, if something happens to my computer and all the drives on site, think wildfire, I can recover from the cloud.

January 9 and 10 -Tutorial search and share Link.  For this challenge I think I'm going to try warping shadows as in this tutorial HERE  I could get lost in all those tutorials! Thanks for the challenge and the reminder that we have all these tutorials right at our fingertips!

Jan 2nd task, here is my new siggy

Jan 3rd task, I chose a photo of my kids sitting in a snow bank during the recent snowstorm we had.  I'll post before and after; all I did was use Syndee's Photo Magic style (Joyfully), and Black and White Magic style Bonus Edge; they brightened the photo, but I think also made it look slightly vintage-y.

20220106130108Post.jpg

20220106130108editPost.jpg

19 hours ago, Mikelle said:

Jan 2nd task, here is my new siggy

Jan 3rd task, I chose a photo of my kids sitting in a snow bank during the recent snowstorm we had.  I'll post before and after; all I did was use Syndee's Photo Magic style (Joyfully), and Black and White Magic style Bonus Edge; they brightened the photo, but I think also made it look slightly vintage-y.

20220106130108Post.jpg

20220106130108editPost.jpg

What a difference. Really nice change.

Wow 1/2 way through January, time is flying by. I hope everyone in the US is safe from Izzy... it made a real mess across the country.

January 16th

Are your scrapbooking products all unzipped and organized? If not, spend some time organizing your digital scrapbooking supplies. REQUIREMENT:  Post to this thread sharing your basic organizational method with us.

I have a folder for SG supplies that contains folders of each kit. I have a folder for marketing sheets and alphas.  I have a folder for SG pages that has a folders for each type of page, Tuesday challenge, Saturday challenge, LO for designers, Miscellaneous, Sketch , etc.

My biggest mess right now are my photos. I'm trying to get them all off my phone to clear it up for summer travels as I will not carry my Canon all the time. Since it is chilly today I will work on this again. One thing is for sure. I take too many photos!!!

16 Jan. I always unzip immediately and put my products into a Temp for Digi file on my desktop. I send this to two EHDs at the end of every month. I use my PSE Organizer. Without this I would be lost. I have everything set up for Alphas, Bows and Ribbons, Arrows and Banners, Fauna & Flora etc, etc. I am lost without this. I can then do Metadata searches for eg. green, hats, butterflies etc. I love my organizer. 

Jan 16

I unzip immediately and put the new products into a folder called "2022-01 downloads for EHD" ... or whatever the year and month. I also immediately copy them into my Digital Scrapbooking file on my computer. At the end of the month the "downloads..." file get copied/moved onto two external hard drives.
I organize my Digital Scrapbooking files on my computer into general categories such as collections,  templates, actions, brushes, etc. all sorted by designer. I keep the marketing images together in each folder, too, so I have a quick peek at all the items in that category. I used to use the Photoshop Organizer and loved it, but for some reason I've been unable to move the old items into my PSE 20, and now I have just too many things to list them separately, so the marketing images seem to work better. 

Sometimes my new kits pile up in my downloads folder, but last Saturday and Sunday, Jan. 8-9, the weather was terrible, so I spent a cozy day unpacking and organizing my things. I even re-organized my "winter" folder into subfolders since I had so much new stuff. I have a ton of memory on my computer, so I save two ways. Each kit or bundle gets a folder and then two sub-folders for papers and embellishments. When unpacking, I also save the papers and embellishments that can be used more generally into topical folders. For instance, papers go into "stripes" or "yellow" or "winter," and embellishments go into "buttons-blue" or "food" or "flowers-yellow." My kit folder titles include a color code as well, so if I am searching for something pink, I can skim through titles that have "Pk" listed, and that seems to make things quicker for me.

Jan 16- I need to unzip some purchases from the holiday sale still! I'm so behind!

I unzip and put everything in by designer and collections. I keep collections together. I used to tag everything in ACDSee, but I got behind and then switched to a new ehd and haven't figured out how to move the tags over. It's been a pain. I've been digital scrapbooking for 17 years, so I have way too much stuff!

January 17th
While you were organizing, did you find some ScrapGirls products you own and love but just haven’t used yet?
Select two different products you haven't used before to use on your next layout. If they are in the shop, share the links.

Note: If you’ve used all the products you own, you're amazing! You may choose products you haven't used as much, or feel free to browse the Design Shop for something new. ;) 

Jan 16. I organize by shop and designer. Now days I always unzip immediately. That wasn't always true. I used to use ACDC for tagging and organizing, but some years ago it stopped working on my computer. I loved it then. Later I got a new computer and got the new ACDC and my computer still doesn't like that program. Also it had changed so much I didn't like it either. So I went to Bridge. Am learning how to do organizing with it. This is going very slow. On my computer I have a shop folder, ie ScrapGirls. Each shop I may buy from will have this same format. In that folder I have a folder for each designer that only designs for that shop. Other designers are in a separate folder, Other Designers,  that has a link in it to their own separate folder that is in my main Scrapbooking folder on my computer, My Favorite Designers folder. This is in alpha order. Each designer will have a folder that holds whatever I have bought from them. I do not break up the kits, just trying to tag the items in it so I can search in Bridge.   I have a really complete mess! We won't talk about my photos organization or lack thereof. A Bridge class is coming at My Teachable. Really looking forward to that!

Jan 16: I unzip right away also. I store all the collections whole, organized by designers initials. The only subfolder within my collection folder is for Christmas. Then I have folders for brushes, tools (styles, actions), layout temps, emb temps, paper temps. alpha temps, etc. There are also folders for stand alone papers, stand alone embs, that don't have an associated collection. I still use Picasa for searching - I don't tag anything and using search words can find things very quickly.  My organization system is pretty basic but it works well with Picasa. 

Jan 16th.... I unzip mine straight away and put them into a folder titled 'new buys' on my computer. I then add extra to each individual description eg. add colour of paper, label embellishment description ect so I can find things easier. Once I have used them I transfer them to my EHD I have files for Alphas, brushes, templates, kits. styles and freebies (that I can't add to kits I have already). I keep the collections together as complete but will copy and paste things like Alphas, brushes, styles and put them into the respective kit. 

January 18th
Look through your photos and find one or more that will work well with the unused products you identified yesterday.